Potential GM Candidates (Update: Idzik Officially Hired)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Dec 31, 2012.

1. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

i have heard that argument many times before but their must be a tipping point where that individual gathers enough football experience and puts it to work - just like any of his colleague "football men"

i think tannenbaum has to be looked at as a possible GM for another team down the road at some point.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Idzik is a football guy. He played the game and coached WR's as a young man. He started in personnel with the great Bucs teams of the late 90's and early 00's ending up as assistant GM. On to the Cards in an expanded capacity as Director of Football Operations and then to the Seahawks in the front office with cap responsibilities.

He really is a very well-rounded candidate for the Jet's GM position. He'll have people under him doing the personnel work but he knows enough to oversee the process well.

People calling him the cap guy for the Seahawks are not inaccurate in that description but it's just the tip of the iceberg. He comes out of personnel and football administration. Doing the cap stuff has just prepared him for working in the kind of big market job that is the Jets GM position.

3. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

New Hire By Thursday

Its being reported that the Jets new GM will be announced on Thursday. I hope this is true cause its nerve racking right now. I'm still hopeful its Gamble but Idzik had another interview and Khan name is hanging around. I could live with them the only one I would have a major problem with is Cohen.

4. About as well rounded as it gets...and it seems like success seems to follow him where ever he goes.

Don't wanna put words in your mouth but I bet he is high on your list as he has no preconcieved notions regarding the team or the AFC East. It would truly be a fresh pair of eyes.

5. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I hope they do go this route.
    Seems to me they need both a Pres of Football Ops AND a GM with personnel background.

Just bringing in a cap guy with full authority again only helps with part of the problem. They need to get better at personnel decisions and draft!

6. PearsonJones

PearsonJones New Member

The way the Jets have been playing this, Watch Thursday go by and no appointment.

I like this game

7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

wheres the vbookie on this?

8. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

The New York Jets plan to name a new general manager by Thursday, according to league sources, with finalists wrapping up their interviews on Wednesday.

The Jets have identified at least three finalists for the opening and have already conducted second interviews with at least two candidates.

Steelers executive Omar Khan has interviewed with them, and Seahawks exec John Idzik flew in from Seattle on Tuesday and is meeting with team officials on Wednesday. The Jets' assistant general manager, Scott Cohen, is also under consideration, sources said.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/j...g-gm-finalists-again-to-make-hire-by-thursday

Awesome..lol

9. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

At this point I'd prefer Ted Sundquist or John Idzik.

10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Omar Khan is pretty legit, he's been the guy behind the Steelers cap. He's gotten the Steelers under the cap pretty much every year he's been in the office. Anyone that has worked with the Roonyes is fine by my book Khan, Idzik, or Cohen? Khan and Idzik, hopefully would change the culture in the decision-making for this team.

11. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

I could be sold on either Khan or Idzik. Get some new blood in there that have seen winning organizations from the inside.

12. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

This isn't exactly related but I found it interesting towards my own personal interesting candidate in Popp.

I just notices the the Bears just named Marc Trestman as their head coach. The recently former Head Coach of the Montreal Alouettes who won the grey cup in 09 and 10.

I found it interesting and speculating that maybe Popp could be in the running still, there are a lot of smoke and mirrors out there, I never heard Trestmans name being floated around out there for the Bears till he was hires and I think it proves that the CFL scare is a little over rated as far as the CFL to NFL transition goes.

I think it could still be a possibility that Popp is a viable candidate still behind closed doors considering that team and their staff are obviously being looked at from many NFL circles right now.

This is also wishful thinking on my part, but I think it could prove to have some validity to it as well.

13. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

Omar Khan is a legit name. I mean literally his name. He sounds like a bad ass.

14. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

Jimmy Johnson tweeted last week sometime that it was looking like Trestman was going to get the head coaching job in Chicago. Trestman and Popp were the runners up in Indy last year before it went to Grigson & Pagano so they're not complete unknowns.

15. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

No, I know. I've heard of both of them before, I never researched Popp before like I have now for obvious reasons.

I just meant that since The Bears took the leap with Trestman, I don't find it far fetched that Popp could follow suit. They are both obviously impressing a lot of people.

I had not heard that report from jimmy Johnson though, so I was a bit off on that one. Lol

16. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

It isn't far fetched at all, and i think Popp will land somewhere sooner than later.
    My ideal scenario would be Idzik or Khan as President of Football Ops, with Popp as GM. starting to look like that won't happen tho..

17. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

I want Omar Minaya

18. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

I get you and Kurt confused. Maybe it was him. I apologize if I mixed up the posters.

19. I don't believe I ever accused Pettinne of being a leak..but I did acknowledge the acquisations that Mike Francesa made in terms of calling out Pettine. I did suggest that if true..both NYJ & MP will want to disassociate ASAP.

NYJ to remove the leakage/inner turmoil & MP to have a clean slate & potentially repair the mole-esque reputation.

I have no insider knowledge. My only point on the entire topic was if the acquisations have any meat..they should part ways.

20. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Rich Cimini

#Jets GM update: Angelo fading. Barring a curve ball, it looks like Idzik (2nd interview today), Khan and Cohen. My money is on Idzik.