Potential GM Candidates (Update: Idzik Officially Hired)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Out of the guys, supposedly, left he's my favorite too... hope he brings new guys from Seattle. Although he was there when Seattle sucked, not just with this new good team.

2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

God damn, some people just LOVE to be miserable. It sounds like they are hiring from within? Well they also brought in two other guys for second interviews, so you could just as easily say, welp, sounds like they're hiring someone from outside. Dumb comment.

3. JET'S_my_name

JET'S_my_name Banned

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer
    Hearing the idea of hiring John Idzik intrigues the Jets. Has business sense, and Seahawks have put him on the road to scout of late too.

So Idzik's a bit of a hybrid, and with Woody, Glat and Hughes the ones in the interview room, biz side experience gives them comfort level.

One more thing on that: word early was Jets absolutely wanted a football side guy, but saying that, and hiring one are two different things.

Oh ... The explanation for those tweets, as we noted earlier in the week ... Idzik is interviewing with the Jets today.

4. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Getting tired of all the noise.

5. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

according to jason la confora, jets will have a GM by thursday

ive never been so nervous as a sports fan before

6. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

All fans and media, nobody has any patience.

No matter who Woody selects there will be Media and Fans that will criticize the move.

Nobody knows for sure the best candidate. we need to give the new guy an opportunity to succeed.

7. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Nothing to be "nervous" about, no one knows who's going to be the best choice.

8. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Exactly... look at the Chiefs back when they hired Pioli. Looked like a slam dunk, but turned out to be a failure. Let's wait and see...

9. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I have a personnel favorite, doesn't mean I'm right.

I'm willing to give the new man a chance.

10. deathstar

deathstar Well-Known Member

Nervous about a GM?

One would think you would be nervous in the two AFC Championship games...

GMs are nothing compared to that...

11. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Agreed. We all probably have preferences based on very minimal information but whoever gets the job needs to be given some time before we start judging his work.

12. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

thats not entirely true. i was nervous as shit watching all those playoff games, but if they lost i could always say "maybe next year"

if we fuck up on this GM we're in a bad place for a long time. i'm not going to judge the GM and i will give him a fair shot (even if its cohen), but im still nervous

13. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

If we cleared out the scouting department and put a new team in place who are knowledgable, why would we really need a "football" guy as GM.
    Let the scouts do their jobs and pick the players and let the GM find ways to manage the $.

14. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Here's the problem, the scouts are currently working right now. The new GM won't fire the scouts or anyone in the scouting dept till after the draft.......just the way it works.

Expect Bradway to still be around for a few months.

The GM won't be able to put his full stamp on this team till after the draft.

15. Agreed 100%.

Thing is..if you do enough reading on the topic..you'll learn that the Jets are already known for having one of the larger & more talented scouting departments in the league. They also have one of the best headquarter facilities in the NFL.

All the resources are there for success. They just need an architect w/ some foresight into cap & long term roster stability

16. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

Where can I do the reading on this topic?

17. It's quite often mentioned on draft blogs starting around senior bowl/combine time when scout/player interest is magnified.

Charlie Casserly has also said on NFLN very recently that the Jets are widely known for having talented scouts & need to learn to utilize them properly

18. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Ugghhh

Quote from Cimini blog

To that, I quote former longtime GM Bill Polian, who told SI's Peter King: "Football teams need to be led by football men who know how coaches think, how players think. You can't learn that in business school or law school."

19. Just planting the seed for the negative angle.

20. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

Great quote. If you work in any type of corporate environment, its stuff like this that often separates good managers from shitty ones.