Potential GM Candidates (Update: Idzik Officially Hired)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Dec 31, 2012.

1. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Probably because a bunch of folks got a second interview and he didn't.

2. AlToon

AlToon Member

The Jaguars (David Caldwell), Chargers (Tom Telesco), Panthers (Dave Gettleman), Cardinals (Steve Keim) and Chiefs (John Dorsey) all hired GMs who were deeply involved in personnel in their previous job. The Browns are expected to do the same.

Can everybody be wrong and the Jets be right?

Well, at least Caldwell, the Falcons’ director of player personnel, was their No. 1 choice. But it doesn’t say much for the image of the organization that Caldwell considered the Jaguars a more attractive job. Jacksonville is the most forgotten franchise in the NFL. It was reported by SI.com that Woody Johnson even offered Caldwell a $1 million housing allowance, which is extraordinary. Caldwell not only turned down the Jets, but he then said he had no interest in Tebow. So he hurt the Jets twice.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...-jet-progress-article-1.1240917#ixzz2I8s775qe

Jacksonville.

3. Viffer98

Viffer98 Member

According to today's Newsday Cohen got a second interview yesterday. Sounds like Woody is going to promote from within, once again proving what an idiot he is.

4. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I did? I know some of the media was saying he was, not sure why you'd single me out as having decided who the leak was?

5. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

He is not the ony one getting a second interview and I'm willing to bet they are only stringing Cohen along at this point to keep him feeling like he was truly in it all the way till the end.

I just can't see him being a real option, nothing against him personally, but you can't sell that hire to the fans. There is no way I can see that happening.

6. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Dean they have done it before and I feel so strongly that once again they will promote from within :sad: I have had a bad feeling about this from the Getgo and think these interviews are a formality!

The guys that begged for continuity will love when Cohen gets hired it will be more of the same,,,,we need an outside the organization face with a plan and vision,,,,not the same old stuff . I hope I am wrong and will gladly eat crow but I think they always wanted Cohen, it is a predictable move and it is what the jets have done in the past

7. Realistic Jets Fan

Time to go out on a limb here

Gamble

NLT Tuesday

. (if I'm wrong......sue me)

8. Viffer98

Viffer98 Member

I certainly hope you're right and I'm wrong but history, especially with Woody Peckerhead at the helm, is on my side. Personally among the remaining candidates I hope he goes with Popp. He may not work out but at least it would be a major change in direction. I hate to use this cliche but we really need someone who thinks outside the box.

9. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

If they end up going with Cohen it just shows that this whole process was an absolute joke. There is no constructive argument that can support this leftover's hiring.

#789 JetsNation06, Jan 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  10. Jets1035

Jets1035 Active Member

To hire within would be a disaster. I'm thinking maybe we just have to hit rock bottom in all phases. Team, business admin, fan support, and attendance. It's Woodys team to run into the ground. This might be the begining of a long drought for success and good times.

11. AlToon

AlToon Member

The New York Jets plan to name a new general manager by Thursday, according to league sources, with finalists wrapping up their interviews Wednesday.

The Jets have identified at least three finalists for the GM opening, and have already conducted second interviews with at least two candidates.

Steelers executive Omar Khan has interviewed with them and Seahawks exec John Idzik flew in from Seattle on Tuesday and is meeting with team officials Wednesday. The Jets' assistant general manager, Scott Cohen, is also under consideration, sources said.

While there were reports of former Bears GM Jerry Angelo being a finalist, sources said he was not contacted about a second interview. Also, although there have been reports that Giants scouting director Marc Ross pulled out of consideration, league sources said he was not in fact a finalist, anyway.

The Jets are replacing long-time GM Mike Tannenbaum, and are focused on ways to rectify the cap crunch they are facing and determining how to navigate a handful of awful contracts bloating the payroll. The team also must improve its scouting and talent evaluation.

Idzik and Khan are experts in salary-cap and contract matters, and, sources said, if the Jets went outside the organization for this hire there would likely be sweeping changes coming to the front office.

The Jets made it clear to candidates that coach Rex Ryan will stay for 2013, but that coaching changes are in play beyond that season if necessary. The team has also been interviewing coaches trying to fill the many vacancies on that staff and trying to have personnel matters resolved before the Senior Bowl kicks off next week.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/j...g-gm-finalists-again-to-make-hire-by-thursday

12. By no means do I want Cohen but I don't think he'd be the disaster some are making him out to be. We have little to no idea what his prior role was w/ the team...just like we have no idea the exact contributions the other candidates have had for their organizations.

For all we know behind closed doors, Cohen fist fought w/ Tannenbaum after personnel meetings b.c he disagreed so greatly w/ MT's vision. Furthermore, Cohen could take the approach that he NEEDS to instill drastic elements of change to seperate himself from the prior regime...we just don't know.

My reasons for not wanting Cohen directly correlate w/ not wanting to hear more jet bashing/negativity on here or through the media. But than again...that's gonna happen either way.

Just get the position filled & lets get ready for Draft/FA.

13. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

Idzik from Seattle seems like a good choice. Rex needs to get lost after this season.

14. AlToon

AlToon Member

If the Jets hire a cap guy,there will be sweeping changes. Whether the new GM is a cap guy or not,there should be sweeping changes. The cap guy would need to hire a strong personnel guy. Can they make that hire with the draft combines and free agency approaching or will they need to wait until after the draft? The cap guy gets the title of President of Football Operations and the personnel guy gets the GM title.

15. Is this where perhaps Gamble comes back into the picture?

16. JetsNation06

Out of all the scenarios left (and I'm not crazy about most of them) this sounds like the best one. Hire Khan or Idzik as the cap guy (VPFO) and hire Gamble as the personnel guy (GM).

17. AlToon

AlToon Member

How about John Idzik and Scot McCloughan? The former 49ers GM. He is a Green Bay/Seattle/Mike Holmgren/Ted Thompson guy. McCloughan works for Seattle.

If McCloughan's indefinite leave becomes permanent, it could open the door to his return to the Packers because of his strong ties to GM Ted Thompson.

Former GM Ron Wolf hired McCloughan to join the Packers' college scouting staff in 1994, when Thompson was the Packers' director of pro personnel. In 1999 Mike Holmgren took McCloughan with him to Seattle to become the Seawhawks' director of college scouting. A year later, Holmgren hired Thompson to run his personnel department, and from 2000 through 2004, McCloughan worked closely with Thompson on the Seahawks' drafts.

When the Packers hired Thompson as GM in 2005, he wanted to bring McCloughan with him, but the 49ers hired McCloughan that same offseason to run their personnel department.

If McCloughan is out of work, there's a good chance Thompson will be interested in bringing him back to the Packers, though Cleveland and Seattle are just as likely landing spots also. Holmgren this offseason became the Browns' president and is re-making that scouting staff. Last month Seattle hired former Packers personnel executive John Schneider as GM, and McCloughan and Schneider worked together both with the Packers and Seahawks.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com.../after-parting-with-49ers-whats-next-for.html

In 2005, McCloughan and Nolan took quarterback Alex Smith with the No. 1 overall selection, a move that has been roundly ridiculed until this season, when the much-maligned quarterback flourished in Harbaugh’s offense. (Yes, the Niners could have taken Aaron Rodgers, though in fairness a whole lot of other teams passed on him, too.)

Gore, a third-round pick in ’05, has been one of the better backs in football during his seven-year career. Starting guard Adam Snyder was also drafted in the third round that year.

Tight ends Vernon Davis, a Pro Bowl participant two seasons ago, and Delanie Walker, who has emerged as a major weapon in Harbaugh’s offense, went in the first and sixth rounds, respectively, of the ’06 draft. Parys Haralson, a starter at outside linebacker, was a fifth-round pick that year.

The ’07 draft was a bonanza, with a crop that included five current starters: star inside linebacker Patrick Willis (first round), left tackle Joe Staley (first), defensive tackle Ray McDonald (third), free safety Dashon Goldson (fourth) and cornerback Tarell Brown (fifth).

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-silver_scot_mccloughan_niners_raiders_gm_seahawks112311

18. AlToon

AlToon Member

Hearing the idea of hiring John Idzik intrigues the Jets. Has business sense, and Seahawks have put him on the road to scout of late too.

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/291558501644382209

So Idzik's a bit of a hybrid, and with Woody, Glat and Hughes the ones in the interview room, biz side experience gives them comfort level.

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/291558931971600384

One more thing on that: word early was Jets absolutely wanted a football side guy, but saying that, and hiring one are two different things.

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/291559429780934656

#798 AlToon, Jan 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  19. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer
    Hearing the idea of hiring John Idzik intrigues the Jets. Has business sense, and Seahawks have put him on the road to scout of late too.

He's my #1 choice of everyone we interviewed. Hope Woody and Jed can bring him aboard.

20. JetsNation06

Would be nice but from from that article it sounds like if McCloughan comes back, we'd be fighting the Packers, Browns and Seahawks for his services.