Poll: what kind of stats does Sanchize have to put up to remain a Jet after next seas

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by tbruner12, Jan 7, 2013.

1. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Actually on further review, it is correct, it did. There was an apparent conflict on another website but after review it only included Superbowl performances and had several of the players higher on Raiting. My mistake.

As far as using passer rating not me, I don't even use QBR which is just marginally less useful, in part because it uses a number of "judgemental" factors which aren't applied equally between players.

However, Both are extremely inaccurate at essing a QB's value in a season or in a game.

But the simple fact remains, Sanchez was efficient. He was asked to minimize his mistakes, and he did execute that. However to say he was a big reason teh jets won 4 games is erroneous. If your only job is not not screw up and your not relied upon to be the force in the game then you are not the reason the jets won the game. Any Jag can go a game or three and not turn the ball over.

The Jets kept a very tight reign on Sanchez in the playoffs, they limited his play to avoid the mistakes.

Additonally, and this is in regard to another post you made about no QB throwing the ball deep more than 20% of the time. The NFL considers anything 15 yards or deeper to be a deep pass, the NFL average in 2011 was 19.5% of balls thrown in the air 15 yards or more in depth, that's the average.

Of course it depends on the metric you apply for a deep pass, football focus put it at 20+ yards in the air and when you get to that point the average drops to around 14 or 15%, which means on average about 5% of passes are between the 15-20 yard depth. So at that point it really depends on what metrics are being applied to judge what a deep pass is.

2. 1968jetsfan

Actually had it, you would know that it's true, the jets repeatedly had 3 and outs allowed to the Browns in that game. If you read each drive you'd know that. As far as winning at the last moment, as pointed out it wouldn't have been necessary to have the thrill ride at the end if the three times the Jets had the all in the redzone (twice by short fields provided by the Defense) and Sanchez couldn't do anything it them, plop plop fizzle fizzle.

If your team is having to make a "big comeback" because your offense is ineffective under your QB then yes, it is on the QB's poor play as the reason the were behind them in the first place

Additionally the jets inability to move the ball leads to a fatigued defense, like I said, if the Defense isn't flawless with Sanchez at QB, they lose. They make any mistake all game long and Sanchez can't make the difference.

And yes, you have said repeatedly that despite the statistics the Jets defense was porous and not really a top 5 or even 10 defense.

3. 1968jetsfan

Average to anyone who watches the game.

If Sanchez were ANYTHING teams would be knocking on the door to take Sanchez off the Jets hands. Instead every GM shakes their head when they see Sanchez makes 8.25 million and the general assessment is he's worth at most 3 or 4 million, at most.

There is only one team in the NFL that would consider taking Sanchez and make him a starter, arizona...but that's only because they actually do have the Worst QB's in the league, and not the 2nd or 3rd worst.

Sanchez is almost universally viewed as a bottom 1/4 QB at Best, bottom 30th at worst...he is, frankly god awful.

4. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

I don't think he has to stay there, though. The guy has shown that he CAN be a decent quarterback in the league, just not consistently. He's lost all confidence and who knows if he'll ever get it back. He's a little like Vinny Testaverde as a Tampa Bay Buccaneer. I could see him being a decent NFL starter as he matures. Somewhere in the bottom of the top 1/3rd maybe.

The problem I have with Mark Sanchez right now isn't that he's on the Jets roster; the problem I have is that he's on the Jets roster and his guaranteed salary means that we're locked in and precluded in the short term from signing a better player.

5. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

yep, we held the ball for near 40 mins in regulation and we had nothing but 3 and outs. Did yuo know we had opnly 2 3 and outs in regulation? and one came where it was 1st and 15 after a penalty.

In OT we didn't have a single one but possessing the ball for nearly 40 mins in regulation 47 mins overall and having 2 3 and outs is clear evidence of the repeated 3 and outs during that game:breakdance:

fatigued defense? Iplaying less than 20 mins at Cle fatigued them?

I never said the D was bad- NEVER. I have always said it wasn't great like many that don't understand the game think b/c rankings tell them so.

Sanchez is damaged goods right now and I guarantee you he'd be out of work for 5 minutes if he was released b/c a smart team would try to rehab him as a backup. If he was on the trade block after the 2010 season teams would have lined up.

6. NFL

NFL Active Member

Sanchez lost completely all of his confidence this year. If you looked at his face, you see a guy with zero confidence. This is why I'm willing to give him a shot at competing for the starter job, if he wins it he'll come out next season with some confidence hopefully leading to good play. If we do release him next year, he will be picked up quickly. What he has accomplished, being carried or not, will certainly get him a job to compete for a starter job somewhere else, and I would not be surprised if he steps his game up somewhere else.

7. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Well, if there are GM's out there that think like I do, then they will surround him with quality players (not arena type players like we had this year) which will allow him to produce like he did here when he had weapons.

You way undervalue what Sanchez did for us in the playoffs. No, he didn't lead us to 40+ points. But as a 1st and 2nd year QB on the big stage he did a great job and was instrumental in us winning FOUR ROAD PLAYOFF GAMES

8. Murrell2878

Cleveland had the ball for 27:36 in the game. The Jets had the ball for 47:08. The fatigue excuse (nod to junc) does not fly here. And it really doesn't fly considering they gave up 10 points in the 1st QTR including a FG on the opening drive. Winning in the last minute wouldn't have been necessary if Folk didn't miss TWO FG's in regulation.

9. Murrell2878

He had a terrible year this year. There's no question about it. And of course anyone would be skeptical of taking him, especially with that salary. But up until the last 3 games of 2011 he was progressing well. You shouldn't give up on a 26 yr old QB who had one bad year (or a bad 19 game stretch) when he has had success. I get why everyone is down on him. This has been a very frustrating stretch. But he is redeemable. I agree with junc, that we have such an ignorant fan base. One that would just give up on a young QB when the chips are down and start over again when we don't have to. Obviously we need to plan for him not to work out and draft someone or bring in a veteran. But tossing away a young QB because he's had a bad stretch is pretty GD stupid in my opinion.

10. Murrell2878

Bring in quality coaches and surround him with good players and he will have a good year next year. This is why I am so in favor of bringing back Edwards and Keller next year.

11. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

A bad stretch over 19 games? I think that's reason to let him go. He has REGRESSED in issues not related to talent around him. Why have him around? He constantly has us on the blooper reel for stupid shit. He's a clown show in and of himself. Starting him with no competition next year would be the same as tanking. He needs to either WIN the job or ship out.

12. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

You're really giving Sanchez's offense credit for putting us up 17-6? The offense scored 14 points while the defense was playing their asses off ... and half of them came as a direct result of Brad Smith to Cotchery ... not Sanchez. The other 3 points were scored when the Defense giftwrapped a golden opportunity for the offense, and they proceeded to get zero first downs, leave an eternity on the clock, and settle for 3 points ... and we never came close to scoring another point in the final 32 miutes of play.

Yes ...the defense played poorly in the second half, but the bottom line is this ... if you're playing Peyton Manning and the 2009 Colts in their building, you better make a habit of getting into the endzone if you plan on winning. Sanchez engineered one scoring drive all day. ONE ... if you can call a bomb to a wide open Braylon Edwards a "drive". And THAT'S what you're hanging your hat on?

Not including the stat padders he got when we got the ball back with a minute left in the game down 30-17, Here's what your boy did for us in the second half with the SB on the line ...

8-18 88 yards, 0 points, 1 INT.

You try to paint this picture of him playing so well that day and the defense betraying him. Not true. Sanchez was every bit as responsible as the defense for losing that game. He wasn't God Awful, like he is most weeks ... but he certainly didn't play well enough to help us win.

13. Murrell2878

Are players not allowed to have a bad year? And don't think the issues he had last year weren't related to the "talent" he was surrounded by.

14. ArmandJ

Not when your bad year ranks dead last among the NFL in QB production. At that point, you just have to go. As I edited, we need to bring in competition. For too long, he's been handed a job on a silver platter. It makes him complacent. When Tebow came, he was rattled. Why? Tebow is a terrible NFL QB. Can you imagine if we bought Peyton Manning here? He might have broken down. We don't need someone like that here.

15. Murrell2878

It was an epicly bad year. I get that. But he has also shown us that he can be pretty good too. He's still young. I'm not suggesting handing him the job on a silver platter. I think he really does have to earn it this year. I don't question his work ethic (at least not this past season). I don't question his mental toughness either. I don't think Tebow being here affected him that much until we were in the middle of games and he makes a play then has to run off the field. That WILL ruin your rhythm. I think a large part of his issues is that he flat out did not trust his receivers. He didn't have his security blanket (Keller) for much of the year. Holmes was out early. He didn't trust Hill to catch the ball. He didn't trust Gates, Cumberland or Gilyard to run the right routes. He seemed to have good chemistry with Schilens and Reuland but neither of them are game breakers. He didn't have a viable receiving threat out of the backfield like he had in the past. He was dealing with 3rd rate talent around him.

16. ArmandJ

I WILL agree with you in regards to trusting Hill. Ever since that epic Patriots drop, our offense has never really been the same.

However, Sanchez needs to get over that and build some chemistry and trust with the receivers.

17. Murrell2878

For sure. but it takes time. There's a reason why Unitas and Berry would spend HOURS DAY AFTER DAY, WEEK AFTER WEEK, MONTH AFTER MONTH after practice running routes and throwing passes. But in the middle of the season when you have to spend time in meetings, watching film, preparing for the next opponent, going to events that you are obligated by the NFL to attend you can't spend that much time doing the extra stuff. It sucks, but that's the life in the NFL. Plus with having a new receiver each week it's nearly impossible to have any kind of chemistry.

18. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

If you want to argue the D wasn't "great", that's up to you.
    But the fact of the matter is they were the best in the NFL in '09 by far. Do you know what 250yd a game average even means? I'm betting you do not.
    You have to give Peyton some credit. He had some success against the best the league had to offer defensively. He did so by figuring out how to attack its weakest point, CB2.

To try to discount Peyton as a 'choker', while gobbling Sanchez nutz discredits any argument you may make. I'm bowing out of the conversation as it is clearly delusion based.

If we go into '13 with Sanchez as the starting QB, expect an even worse year for the Jets than '12.

19. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I think Sanchez will end up being the starter next season, Unless we make a big push for Alex Smith or even worse Mike Vick

20. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

The D had some great games but was not great overall. this was the same D that got torched by Chad henne and Miami, blew a late lead to jax, blew a late lead to Atl then blew a double digit lead in a hurry against Indy. It was a very good D, it wasn't great.

The Saints D was better than our D despite the #s and peyton wasn't too successful against them.

I am not comparing Mark vs. Peyton, one is a HOFer who should put a team on his back and will them to victory while the other is a quality starter who raised his level in postseason to help his team win.

They have different expectations, peyton has failed far too often in bog games despite a good enough D and superior weapons to throw to.

We weren't bad this year b/c of mark alone, having no weapons to throw to was a bigger reason than the QB itself. if we work w/ Mark, bring in a QB guru and get some weapons we can be a playoff team again.