Potential GM Candidates (Update: Idzik Officially Hired)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Dec 31, 2012.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Says the guy who was voted by multiple people to be the least knowledgeable person when it comes to talking about football :lol:

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

There's so much conflicting information out there at this point. If I was leaking I'd be very nervous.

3. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I can't wait for ten years from now when we're all watching a 60 minute special on how Woody Johnson himself was the leak because of his media / drama fetish.

4. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Or maybe during America's Game 2015 NY Jets Superbowl Champs on the NFLN. Interviewing Woody Johnson, Rex Ryan and Teddy Bridgewater :shit:

6. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

I want a new gm not a former gm like Angelo. I would love to see what Popp can do in the NFL and if I can even beleive the media he is apperently still in the running

I hope we get a good one

7. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

I like Popp but I'd love to bring him in in a Director of Player Personnel role to give him some time to adapt to the NFL style

8. gsulli5861

gsulli5861 New Member

Popp would be a tough sell. No NFL backround, not familiar with the cap, not familiar with rosters or coaches.

9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

The steelers front office was smart enough to jettison Holmes to the Jets and avoid a monster contract for a slightly above average receiver. Ergo, Khan is far better than Tanny

10. NotSatoshiNakamoto

He has NFL contacts and their is a cap in the CFL. I'm sure their are many differences between how the CFL and NFL caps work though.

11. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

That's what guys like Tanny and Kahn are for.

12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Very familiar with personnel talent. I would have to support the notion that he could find gems in the middle rounds to help this team instead of trading picks and over reaching for players.
    We need a football guy first and foremost. I wonder what the role of the president is, if not oversee financial operations for the team.

13. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer
    Been told Rex Ryan was not in on first round of Jets' GM interviews. Not all together unusual, but worth noting considering coach's status.

OMG REX ISN'T PICKING THE GM???!DUR

14. Viffer98

Viffer98 Member

Could that be why they are interviewing a bunch of cap guys also? Maybe they want to get a talent guy AND a cap guy. Popp picks the talent, the cap guy works the contracts. I could live with this...

15. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

To me the issue isn't this year, there isn't much cap room so he'd be in his element finding castaway players.

What happens in '14 and beyond is what concerns me. We've all seen what happened with Omar with the Mets. On the Expos he was a decent GM, give the guy $$ to burn and he was a disaster. If they do hire him they need a financial capologist to be here as well.

16. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

Lot of things getting lost in the shuffle here. Here is a solid article on the remaning GM candidates and their respective backgrounds:

Despite some conflicting reports, all of these candidates have, in the last 24 hours, been labeled as in consideration.

Jerry Angelo, former GM, Chicago Bears
    Experience as an administrator or scout: 29 years
    Area of expertise: Personnel/trades/free agency

Claim to fame: Angelo had six winning seasons, four playoff appearances and one Super Bowl visit in his 11 years with the Bears. With the Buccaneers, he made the playoffs during his final three seasons, from 1997-2000.

He also drafted the core of Chicago's current roster, which includes stars like Matt Forte, Lance Briggs and traded for the likes of Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall; both of whom have worked out nicely with the Bears.

Jim Popp, GM, Montreal Alouettes
    Experience: 23 years*
    Area of expertise: Player personnel/football operations
    Claim to fame: As an executive in the Canadian Football League, Popp has apparently never had a team that missed the playoffs. For 20 years in a row now, he has reached the postseason and has won four Grey Cup titles (CFL Super Bowl).

Scott Cohen, assistant GM, New York Jets
    Experience: 20 seasons
    Area of expertise: Player personnel
    Claim to fame: Cohen came to the Jets after eight seasons as the Eagles' director of pro personnel. Although his name will be tied to the shortcomings of the previous administration, it's important not to paint candidates like Cohen with a broad brush. He also brings a key component to the table that Woody Johnson surely appreciates: A relationship with head coach Rex Ryan, who is undoubtedly staying this season.

Brain Gaine, assistant GM, Miami Dolphins
    Experience: 16 years
    Area of expertise: Personnel/contract research
    Claim to fame: Gaine is a relative up and comer compared to everyone else on the list but that might not be a bad thing. The game has changed dramatically since many of these candidates were already nestled into high executive positions. Gaine, though, is rapidly ascending the ranks during the right time. Since his arrival in Miami in 2008, the team has come a long way.

John Idzik, VP of football administration, Seattle Seahawks
    Experience: 19 years
    Area of expertise: Personnel/salary cap compliance/transactions
    Claim to fame: Idzik won a Super Bowl with Tampa Bay as the assistant general manager before moving to the Cardinals, where he was the senior director of football operations and part architect of a team that would eventually reach the Super Bowl.

The Seahawks have been on the rise since his arrival there in 2008, which was cemented last weekend when the team was a field goal away from reaching the NFC title game. In recent years, Seattle's drafts have been very impressive. The same can be said about acquisitions like Marshawn Lynch, who came to Seattle for a fourth-round pick in 2009.

Russ Ball, VP of football administration and player finance, Green Bay Packers
    Experience: 23 years
    Area of expertise: Salary cap management/contract negotiations
    Claim to fame: Ball has been the right-hand man to some pretty big names in the NFL, including Marty Schottenheimer in Kansas City and now Ted Thompson in Green Bay. Although he has more of a reputation as a numbers person, it may not be a bad thing. The Jets will need a savvy negotiator and cap expert to get them out from underneath their bloated cap number now. Although Johnson described the cuts they will make to get them under the cap as "obvious" -- Bart Scott, Eric Smith, Calvin Pace, Jason Smith -- the true test will be maximizing the rest of the cash, because there is not much left to fill out the roster.

Ted Sundquist, former GM, Denver Broncos
    Experience: 19 years
    Area of expertise: Personnel/trades
    Claim to fame: As the Broncos GM from 2001-2007 he had five straight winning seasons to begin his career. During that tenure, he has staked claim to acquiring or drafting the likes of John Lynch, Daniel Graham, Al Wilson, Brandon Marshall, Olandis Gary, Clinton Portis and Trevor Pryce. Sundquist can also sidestep the Tim Tebow era, having left the team before he was drafted.

Omar Khan, director of business and football administration, Pittsburgh Steelers
    Experience: 16 years
    Area of expertise: Football operations/contract negotiations
    Claim to fame: Khan has been a liaison between one of the most highly-regarded owners, GMs and coaches in football for the past 12 seasons. He's also developed a reputation as a solid negotiator, which the Jets could have used more of in recent years given the bloated contracts dealt to the likes Mark Sanchez, Santonio Holmes, David Harris and Antonio Cromartie. Another advantage? He's very young, 35, and has already had a firm background in long-term salary cap planning. Yes, he had almost the same background as Mike Tannenbaum but if you trust the personnel people already in the building, or the ones Khan would bring along, having someone straighten the team out financially wouldn't be the worst thing.

Tom Gamble, director of player personnel, San Francisco 49ers
    Experience: 24 years
    Area of expertise: Player personnel
    Claim to fame: Aside from a solid background in player development, scouting and personnel, Gamble was also a quality control coach with the Jets between 1995 and 1996. In his first job, he worked with Rex Ryan’s father, Buddy, who was then head coach with the Philadelphia Eagles. He has been friends with Rex for more than 20 years.

But more importantly, Gamble has had years of experience monitoring undrafted free agents and studying NFL rosters. In assisting 49ers GM Trent Baalke, his job was to bolster depth – something the top-heavy Jets desperately need. A bare-bones roster behind superstars like Darrelle Revis and Santonio Holmes was exposed quickly during a 6-10 campaign in 2012.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2013/01/jets_gm_search_breaking_down_t.html

17. CurbYourEnthusiasm

Looking at that list, I think Idzik or Sundquist would be very fine hires.

18. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

If Sundquist was such a fine hire then why was he fired in Denver?

19. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

How many GM jobs are left available?

20. CurbYourEnthusiasm

Using this logic, Bill Belichick would have been an awful hire by the Patriots.