Potential GM Candidates (Update: Idzik Officially Hired)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'm guessing you're right. The culture of leaks around the Jets is completely unacceptable at this point and Woody probably is taking advantage of the opportunity to figure out where some of them are.

3. barkus

barkus Well-Known Member

Khan just seems like another tanny, he better bring some personell guys from the steelers too.

4. Br4d

Here's some irony for you. The Jets actually made the right call on Jerrico Cotchery, a year too early instead of a year too late. The team that swooped in to pick up Cotchery was the Steelers, who didn't get much out of him and are in a decline phase themselves.

Part of the decline phase is from over-extending their 2010 window for a Super Bowl and clogging up the cap. Omar Khan was the guy who helped them do that.

Now the Jets are in decline in part due to over-extending their 2010 window and clogging up the cap. Omar Khan is going to get to clean up the same mess whether he is in Pittsburgh or with the Jets. The difference is it won't be his mess on the Jets.

I wonder if the Steelers will hire Mike Tannenbaum to clean up their mess?

5. Boba Jett

Boba Jett Member

I didn't think I could be more depressed about the Jets after this season, but man this GM/OC/DC hunt seems to be going horribly at this point. Not a single one of these guys sounds much better or in some cases worse then what we had.

6. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Another idiotic article especially when he talks about the cap. Doesn't he realize that 19 million over doesn't include 20 free agent (10 starters) who were here last year..add in what they made last year and we are probably 35-40 million over.

7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Really living up to that Kotite award lately.

8. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Last I heard were down to 4 guys

Sundquist
    Cohen
    Khan
    Popp

9. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Sundquist and Mornhinweg here we go!

10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I don't know about the Cotchery part, Bradway..

First off, I don't think we can say the Jets made the right call on Cotchery considering it kind of wasn't their call. Cotchery himself wanted out and asked for his release. I guess they could've said too bad, but that's not really how it works in the NFL.

Second I think Cotchery leaving had a lot to do with the meltdown in 2011. Cotchery was a veteran leader and I think he would've helped with the locker room issues that year.

Lastly, he's always been reliable. Considering Mark Sanchez struggles, and the fact that he hasn't had too many reliable recievers the past two years - I think Cotchery would've helped him, especially on 3rd downs.

Also, you can't really say Pittsburgh made a bad call with him either.. They may be in a declining phase like us for going all in in 2010 - but it's not really because of the Cotchery pickup. They got him on the cheap and while they haven't gotten great production - he was never supposed to be their main guy. Cheap pay for a saavy, veteran, reliable 3rd or 4th wideout is a good move.

11. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
    Seahawks VP/Administration John Idzik is scheduled to interview Wednesday for the Jets GM job.

12. Br4d

I just thought it was an interesting juxtaposition. And the Jets definitely gave up on Cotchery when they signed Mason. It was the injuries. Cotchery knew he was 4th WR at that point and wanted out.

13. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Where did you hear this?

The media is grasping for straws and totally full of shit.

"Ball didn't interview"
    "Ball is coming back for interview 2"
    "Angelo the front runner"
    "Angelo not in the running"
    "Gamble hired"

The media is getting played....badly. It's about time.

14. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

It actually does look like LTJF may be right. We're hearing a lot of different information about who we want and who we really don't. Seems odd it's constantly changing. I think Woody thinks there is another leak in the management ranks (much like Pettine in the coaching ranks).

15. TheGreenCantona

I don't get why people think playing the media is such a good idea?

Surely part of being a well respected, stable, well managed with a long term view franchise (read Steelers or Giants) is to be able to manage media.
    But then again if you continuosly make inexplicable decisions, no media spin can help you.

16. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Yawn. :shit:

17. gsulli5861

gsulli5861 New Member

I agree. At this point no one knows who the candidates are and I say good for the Jets. It looks like it will take until at least the end of the week.

18. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

The Jets have some of the worst beat writers in the game covering them. It's about time that these guys get exposed for their bullshit stories.

As a fan, do you want actual team coverage? Or would you rather read about tattoos and writer speculation?

19. Don

Another clueless idiot.

20. Don