The longer this search take, the more it magnifies the real problem!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by klecko73, Jan 10, 2013.

1. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

of course it is... now if it supported your thoughts i am sure it would be great and wonderful.

2. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

Best candidates? One guy chose not to sign with us.

3. bloke911

bloke911 Active Member

I work for a multimillion dollar company as an executive, I'm fourth in line. The things that we do and say behind closed doors never make it to the public, especially when it comes to hiring executives. Shit, sometimes we bring on people that I have no real input on.

What's going on with the Jets is all speculation. Woody may not be a top notch NFL owner but taking your time to bring in the right Gm takes time. I'm sure Woody is not happy with the Circus theme and wants to ratify that. It takes time and no one is going to know what is going on in Woody's head except him and his small core. I would put money that even Rex still doesn't know the whole outcome.

4. bloke911

bloke911 Active Member

Especial Crimini's, MM's and Faties sources!

5. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

If you worked for a billion dollar company in a small industry I guarantee you the owner not only has a short list of potential great candidates to take over top positions, if he is a great owner he has made it a point to know them personally.

6. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

It seems like promoting from within may be our only option.
    Nobody wants to deal with this mess.

7. Realistic Jets Fan

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Just a a reality check in general. The Jets just had their first under .500 season since 2007. They didn't even flat out collapse during this season. The wheels are a bit loose at this point but they haven't fallen off yet and are unlikely too unless the Jets make the decision to do a full rebuild using 2013 as the sacrifice to get a good jump on the process.

What the Jets are guilty of, the thing that they are getting shredded for at the moment and that has most damaged the brand is over promising and then under delivering. The second thing they are guilty of is having very tough competition. They're in the same division as the NFL's best team. They're in the same city as the team that has beaten the NFL's best team in the Super Bowl twice in the last 6 seasons.

All of the above is contributing to the issues the Jets have. Being a lousy team is not, at least not at this point. The Jets need to do a better job of communicating the plan moving forward and it would be a good idea to have that plan be of the under promise and over deliver variety. That kind of plan always gets some kudos even when the results are not great.

9. DarkKnightXIII

^THIS. A thousand times over.

10. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Totally agree with this 100%. You keep Tannenbaum, put an accountant's visor on him, and stick him in a windowless cubicle with nothing but a calculator in front of him.

That's the easy part. The hard part will be finding "a new Head of Football Operations" and "a high quality GM with a great coaching staff."

11. Section 227. Row 5

Disagree in part.

Overpromising and underdelivering (and also being in the same town as the Giants) has nothing whatsoever to do with their performance on the field week after week. Nothing. Crappy coaching, crappy players in key positions (namely QB) and yes, injuries this season have everything to do with stinking up the field 6-10.

12. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

With all do respect, the wheels started to loosen when Rex, by his own admission, lost the pulse of his team which led to infighting and they collapsed the second half of last season.

And if this season there wasn't a continuation, albeit not losing the locker room, of a rudderless organization I don't know what to tell you. Then last week Rex sits up there and says that he hasn't been able to imprint the REAL direction that he wants his team to go Why? As HC and somebody with input into personel matters now that after everybody around him has lost their jobs, he has this revelation.

And this really isn't Rex's fault, he's in survival mode. It's ALL Johnson's fault for this on-going debacle. A complete house-clean was in order and that didn't happen. If people on here continue to believe that Rex is not a barrier to potential GM candidates accepting the GM job, well, we'll have to agree to disagree, because I think it is an issue.

13. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Excellent post and I agree with most of it. But I would just like to add that , other than Sanchez shitting the bed and definitively proving once and for all that he is not our answer as a franchise quarterback, my biggest single disappointment was that we squandered one of the easiest schedules I can ever remember having. Look at our last 8 games. If we had even a marginally competent offense (and in particular, a marginally competent quarterback), we would have EASILY been a 9-10 win team and in the playoffs.

14. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Jets don't even have a plan to get themselves out of this mess, nor do I think they had a plan the past 2 or 3 off-seasons.

15. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Rex is the problem, and no GM candidate wants him. So, just make Rex the GM and HC like Holmgren was in Seattle.

Sure it won't work, but we can get Teddy Bridgewater with the number one pick.

16. Section 227. Row 5

"we squandered one of the easiest schedules I can ever remember having."

We didn't squander it. We weren't up for it. You can't squander something you're incapable of handling.

17. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Unless you can figure out a way to bring back their 20 free agents while being 20 million over the cap then the wheels are already off. I'm guessing that has something to do with why nobody wants this job.

#177 Don, Jan 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  18. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Why would you want to clean house? In case you haven't realized, Rex got us to the AFCCG with one of the worst quarterbacks I have seen in a while. Him and his defense are the reason why we're 6-10 instead of 2-14. Both are bad, but it's easier to fire a guy who goes from AFCCG to 2-14.

A potential GM candidate will have to deal with the circumstances given. In the real world, people don't just walk into a job and start firing people and doing whatever the hell you want. You work with the given circumstances and try to make something better out of it. If the new GM is so bloodthirsty to fire Rex, do we really want him here? Especially considering that it's going to take a 2-14 season to get him definitvely fired or a 7-9 or worse season with multiple blowout losses to get him fired.

19. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Rex has kryptonite in the form of Mark sanchez, and he isn't afraid to use it. That is also what GM's factor in.

20. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

This is turning into another PR nightmare for Johnson..he is probably thinking now, as I am, that he would have been better off firing Tannenshit next year after this team goes 2-14 or whatever it will be and when we will have some cap space for a new GM to work with.