Potential GM Candidates (Update: Idzik Officially Hired)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Dec 31, 2012.

1. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

It really is a shame. Anyway we slice it, the Jets missed out on their first choices. Whether it be due to the cap or not, Woody and Hughes should've been prepared to overcome these cap/personnel/Rex issues, and still get the right guy. We can only hope that Gamble, Angelo, Popp or whomever they go with does a good job. Yet to me, regardless of what the reasons were, they still missed out on the best available guys.

2. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Sure their is typical frustration but the way the bashing goes on with Jets fan is just unrelenting. Throw the media on top of it and you get the Jets.

I lived in Bills country, I saw Jacksonville media run Coughlin out of town and I now live in Cowboys land.

Nothing compares to what the Jets have to go through with the media and the fans. I would say it is NY but the Giants don't take as much abuse as the Jets do.

There were no locker room issues this year the Jets just had a thin roster then got bit by the injury bug. Successful teams stay relatively healthy if the Jets stay healthy they are 9-7 10-6 they did not they are 6-10 with a couple meaningless games down the stretch. This team had NE and Houston on the ropes this year and beat the colts soundly with a crappy Roster Rex did a great Job this year.

Everyone is screaming we need a personnel guy for GM, have they looked at the issue it was not talent decision that killed this team but a cap problem and a top heavy roster.

It was a gamble that most are forgetting almost paid off, 2010 anyone. Sanchez is/was a good midrange QB that we asked to be Peyton Manning with no weapons. Why was that done? why because of the cap and contracts not because we did not want to add talent Tanny thought he could get by on O he was wrong and lost he job over it.

Was Rex pushing for to many Defense of players seems that way especially when you consider we went after Nnamdi Asomugha. It is up to the GM to keep the HC in check when comes to stuff like that he did not do it. Rex needs a GM no doubt but two AFCC games buys him another year to show improvement.

I do not think the Jets have to make the playoffs for Rex they just have to show improvement especially on the Offense side of the ball. He deserves another year.

#622 cval, Jan 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  3. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

I have never seen a professional sports team offering a multi-million dollar salary not be able to fill a position before, it's truly amazing really.

4. JetsNation06

That logic only holds true IF there are still top candidates available. People are getting caught up in the process rather than the results which are all that matters.

The Jets have narrowed a list of second interviews with their leftover candidates/backups. So in this case, taking your sweet time to go through interviews is just procedural nonsense. It's just conceding that they missed their first guys (Caldwell, Telesco, Dorsey) and now they have moved on to their backups. It doesn't mean that they should be applauded for having a more thorough interview process. They dropped the ball on the guys that they really wanted. That's all this means.

5. Realistic Jets Fan

Link please to any known report showing that Caldwell, Dorsey and Telesco were their first choice guys or the guys they really wanted?

Some evidence other than your opinion would be helpful

6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Soon we will see news like "Jets interviewing Mike Tannenbaum for GM position"

7. JetsNation06

Turn the TV on, read a newspaper or live on Planet Earth. That's all the evidence you need. This has been widely known since the season ended. Secondly, what mandate is there by the media or the NFL that states that the Jets, or any other team, divulge all of the details of their interview process? There's no such thing. Actually now that you bring it up, read the article on this board from today about how badly the Jets wanted Caldwell. Here's the link: http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/20083/jets-wanted-caldwell-badly
    Just face it, they dropped the ball and missed out on their first choice guys.

#627 JetsNation06, Jan 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Because they are looking for "yes" men. No one is taking this job - especially if you don't have a say in pretty much anything.

Woody is fucking up.

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Most of the best guys are still out there. Caldwell was a good option but he wasn't the best guy. Dorsey was really good but there was no way he was coming to NY.

10. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I don't see how that has been widely known. We've seen so much information and misinformation come across the wire it's hard to filter out the white noise. I can't even figure out who they have actually interviewed, can you?

We now know that the Jets did offer the job to Caldwell so he was obviously their number 1 choice assuming they haven't offered it to anyone else.

11. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Is there any info on what happened with Dorsey? I know we were scheduled to interview him, but i don't think it ever happened.

I agree with your statement though. Only 1 guy we were considering has signed elsewhere, and there are lots of good candidates out there.
    Namely, Popp and Sundquist... Gamble, Khan, Ross and Dorsey still out there too.

Anyone know who has been rumored for a 2nd interview?

12. JetsNation06

If Caldwell wasn't the best guy, then who is? It seems from all reports that Caldwell was the Jets #1 choice. Surely not Angelo, Gaine, Popp or Gamble. No league sources ever reported that any of these guys were top choices for any of the open jobs, except Jets. Unless we're changing the parameters now and saying that these guys are suddenly the top choices for only the Jets? None of them were the top choices for GM openings around the league until the Jets entered the picture.

13. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

Other than Caldwell (who we're basing on a freakin housing allowance), you have absolutely no idea who their first choice guys were. Give me a break.

14. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

So far this has been a really rough off season for the homers around here.

15. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

The only people who know what is going on with this interview process is Woody and Jed Hughes. Everything else is just pure speculation from the media. They're prob just pissed cause they have no more 'sources' to report anything. The media leaked that two people interviewed last week, and we found out yesterday that wasn't even true.

16. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I don't know if there can be homers anymore. At least not sunshiny homers. Pretty clear the state of the franchise is in pretty bad shape. Could take a few years to fix too.

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Dorsey's wife is a VP for a big Kansas City law firm. That's why he left Green Bay. He only used the Jets to set his value for KC.

There are still several very good candidates out there. I'm trying not to pay attention to the rumor mill at this point because for this process it has been very faulty.

18. JetsNation06

Of course we did. Did you read the article from today? Peter King stated that the Jets wanted Caldwell so bad they were willing to give home a $1 million housing allowance. That's nothing to sneeze at. That's how desperately the Jets wanted this guy. That would qualify him as their first choice. If you think that all media outlets and reports are bald faced liars, then I can't help you there.

19. JetsNation06

How many interviews did Angelo, Popp, Sundquist and Gaine get from other teams not named the Jets? Do the Jets know something about these guys that none of the other teams with available GM openings didn't know?

The demand, or lack thereof, for any candidate is quite telling.

20. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

WANTED: GM of the NY Jets.
    Job Duties and Important Decision Making Responsibilities: None
    Send Salary Requirements To: Woody Johnson, 1 No More Tears Lane, NY NY.