Potential GM Candidates (Update: Idzik Officially Hired)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

There's a lot of foam in the mix right now when it comes to the Jets. They made a bunch of decisions in 2011 and 2012 that have come back to haunt them from a competitive perspective. The decisions last off-season looked particularly bad given the realities in play.

The media has essentially alternated between being a hostile witness and a ravening beast since the anonymous sources stories about Sanchez surfaced at the end of the 2011 season. The fans have been better than that but have trailed the media down slope during that span of time.

Basically Woody, Tannenbaum and Rex lost control of the narrative of the season sometime between the anonymous sources story and the awful performance on offense in training camp when it became clear that the Jets were limited heavily by the talent on offense.

Tebow was the trombone in the orchestra on the deck of the Titanic all season. He didn't try to be he just was.

It's a lot to put back together again and right now there are two guys in the organization who are working overtime to try to glue it up in Woody and Neil Glat. Hopefully they will find a decent candidate, get on the same page with him and bring it home for us.

If you're old enough to remember 1980 you know that even when things go very wrong there is usually a spark in the midst of all the gloom. For the Jets that spark is probably on the defensive line just waiting to get ignited. Just like it was in 1980.

2. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Ltjetfan,,,,I have no problem with you disagreeing with me but you wrote that I said " the main reason we do not have a GM is because he cannot pick the coach " ,,,sorry buddy I NEVER said or wrote that . What I have said all along is that Woodys parameters and the " circumstances" have dictated the GM search,and that Rex being forced on a new GM is one of those ,IMO you over reacted to my posts just my opinion

3. PearsonJones

PearsonJones New Member

Fortunalty :breakdance: Im an 88 guy, And being from the UK, Iv'e been following the Jets since I started playing in 06.

Still, You see this type of sporting clearout all too often in vast amounts of clubs/franchises. And Fans are fickle. Fans are the best and worst thing about it.

If WE can see changes that need to be made, Im sure whoever comes into the front office could see it too.

It just might take longer than we want.

4. Realistic Jets Fan

thanks CBG

sorry I posted it in a different thread than the one you requested my opinion, so I think we should give ourselves a half a "my bad" each:)

5. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Jets can’t give the GM position away...calling back candidates who turned them down

The New York Jets will be holding a second round of interviews with at least two of their general manager candidates.

According to Jay Glazer of FOX, nobody wants the job.

“They can’t give the position away,” Glazer said on the FOX pregame show. “They’re calling back candidates who already turned them down. They’re having a hard time.” ... Yep we are the butt of the joke...not even counting Sanchez and his exploits

Link at RedZone

If Woody had just fired Rex they would already have a GM...At this point even Rex might be wishing he was gone.

6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

this is being discussed ad nauseum in another thread. glazer tweets specifically that rex is not the problem.cap space, personnell and overall circus atmosphere is

7. onefanjet

onefanjet Well-Known Member

Damn Shame.... not seen anything like this.... :-(

8. RevChez

RevChez Banned

This article is very misleading. Its one guys opinion put in quotes that makes is look like an official statement.

9. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Yea would have been nice if you read the very next tweet glazer made prior to jumping to the conclusion that it was all because of Rex.

Jay Glazer ‏@JayGlazer
    Rex isn't what GM candidates are concerned with - their cap situation, personnel, QB and the circus turned a lot of candidates off

10. Realistic Jets Fan

great

a fifth thread rehashing Glazer's "report" on Fox based on nothing but his speculation IMO

what he is describing as going back to candidates is nothing more than calling candidates in for second interviews. My bet is that NONE of them rejected the Jets during their first interview because who the frigg does that in a job interview??

I've had plenty of interviews in my life from both sides of the desk and I've never either told a candidate in a first interview that he was OUT of contention OR been told by a candidate that he or she was NOT interested.

You shake hands and both sides agree that more interviews and evaluations will take place and that you either hope to hear from the interviewer again or will get back to the interviewee

Nobody, during an interview, is stupid enough to spit in a well they may have to drink out of someday

11. PearsonJones

PearsonJones New Member

Ok our caps not nice, But the personnel and QB are two reasons why any GM job is avalible anyway?

12. NotSatoshiNakamoto

so is the cap. Like I said earlier, I trust glazer to report the truth but this report doesn't make much sense given the fact that candidates should know these factors coming into the interview.

13. Bannon

Bannon New Member

Is it just me, or are we all thinking the same thing . . . . that this is headed towards Tebow being the GM next year?

14. Bannon

Bannon New Member

Just me? Okay then.:breakdance:

15. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Just a thought:

Isn't Rex, the Circus?

If a new GM came in with a new coach, isn't the circus gone? Unless the new coach acts just like Rex.

16. FJF

no, the media is the circus.rex going away does not guarentee that the hatred filled blogs will go away.

17. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

All stuff that Rex IS responsible for.

18. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

The media is the circus. We had 13 beat writers this year. THIRTEEN. Teams like the Panthers have one. So how do you distinguish yourself amongst 13 different beat reporters? You do stuff like send a photographer to spy on the coach while he's on vacation.

19. FJF

tanny handled the cap and the personell. and everyone thought rex was so refreshing 2 years ago. but now he is a circus? i blame the writers more than anyone for the atmosphere around here this year

20. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

Rex isn't the problem. IMO, its the expectations that the fans and media require.

The Jets are going to need at least 3 offseasons to get this thing where it needs to be. You need 3/5 starters on the o-line, a franchise QB, a RB, and probably a TE. On defense, you need almost an entire new crop of young linebackers (minus Harris, Davis and MacIntyre) and 2 starting safeties (assuming they both leave).

All of those needs cannot and will not be filled in one offseason. However, that will probably not be good enough for the fans, the media, and Rex (who knows he is hanging on by a thread and will want to do everything possible to win now). That puts the GM in a very tough position. The incoming GM won't get 3 years to re-build and fill the roster. He'd be run out of town before that happens.