QB options for Jets (Merged Thread)

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Ben Had, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

If Geno Smith is there at 9 and all the pass rushers and OT's are gone and nobody wants to trade up for him what would you do

2. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Warmack........

3. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

damn its that real lol I feel you though this team needs safe picks on the O-Line no projects

Also do you think Ducasse will start at RG next year

4. CleveSteve

CleveSteve Active Member

Sure , we found out that Smith isn't invincible, but the guy still threw for 40+ touchdowns versus only 6 INTs. Warmack is a good, safe pick but passing on Smith full-blown tank mode.

OTOH, if you don't believe Geno is the guy, you don't want to tie your team to him for 3 years. It's not a good spot to be in.

5. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

To your second point, the Jets also shouldn't reach for a QB just because there is a QB hole.

To be straightforward, I don't watch very much college football and probably have less college football knowledge than all the posters in this draft forum BUT from my watching of Geno through youtube and reading reports, I would like to pass on him at #9. Something nags me about him, a little short and I think not capable of making NFL throws at the sidelines 10-15 yards down the field. Maybe he turns out to be a great QB but I don't know something bothers me. I feel like he might be overrated a little bit due to the lack of a surefire QB in this draft.

6. CleveSteve

CleveSteve Active Member

You know, that's the one thing I don't really like about his game, too, is that he doesn't get as much zip on the ball as I'd like.

7. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

Let the time expire and watch Tennessee select him.

8. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I don't know why EJ Manuel is not getting any love yet.

Obviously he's not the pick at #9, but he would be great in Rd 3.

9. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

All the tools and no box. The Mental aspeacts of his game often come into question and that Scaes away most.

10. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

nope. no QB in this draft is worth a top 10 pick. we will take thebest player available. QB in 2014.

11. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

all the pass rushers won't be gone. Moore, Werner, Jordan, Jones one of them will be available at 9 and if they aren't we take Warmack, if he's somehow gone we go to Te'o.

12. Richiebsweet

Richiebsweet Active Member

Agreed!!!!!!!!

13. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I think if the Jets drafted Barkley, they would be jumping from the Balcony at RCMH.

14. Richiebsweet

Richiebsweet Active Member

Indeed!!!!!!

15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

So the Jets are on the 9 and Geno Smith is there and they can't get Jones, Werner, Moore, Teo or Joeckel. None of the QB's went early, which is likely why Smith is available on the 9. The top players on the Jets board at that point are Warmack, Milliner and Allen, none of whom appeal to the Jets on the 9 for various reasons. They'd take any of those guys later in the 1st but they don't want to spend a top 10 pick on them.

The first move as this situation was establishing itself along about the 7 pick would be for the Jets to start contacting the early teams who passed on QB's, like the Chiefs and Jaguars, to gauge any interest they might have in the 9 pick. A simple question: "If somebody came to us with an offer for the 9 pick do you want us to give you a call?"

These are the teams the Jets could most profitably trade the 9 too because they'd be giving up an early 2nd and a later round pick(s) plus a 1st in 2014 in the deal. There is likely to be at least one very good QB in the 2014 draft and getting extra lottery shots at the 1 pick plus an enhanced ability to trade up then would be great.

The Jets have two teams right in front of them that could easily take Geno Smith in the Cardinals and the Bills. The Jets think that the Bills are going to wait and try to nab Ryan Nassib a bit later on though. They're really keying on the Cardinals because as soon as Smith gets by them the odds are good he's in the Jets lap creating both a quandary and an opportunity to get much better in one fell swoop.

The teams right behind the Jets that might be interested in Smith are the Chargers at 11 and the Buccaneers at 13. Both teams have a QB in house that they can play for a year or two while Smith develops. The Chargers have a new GM who is going to want to put his stamp on the organization. The Bucs don't know for sure what they have in Freeman and his second contract is right around the corner. Either of them could covet Smith as the new face of the team.

The value in a trade down to the teams behind the Jets is not likely to be as strong as the value in having the top of the draft teams trade for the pick but it will put the Jets in position to take one of the guys on top of their list as well as getting another early draft pick in return. It's a win for them given the state of the roster.

So the Jets make quick calls to the Steelers, Bears and Vikings, asking them if they have any interest in trading up. They've got calls out to 5 teams now in the Chiefs, Jaguars, Steelers, Bears and Vikings. Somebody is going to get the rumor mill flowing for them, "the Jets are looking to trade down."

If they get on the clock with no calls coming in yet they settle on the guy they're going to take on the 9. The guy on top of their board who is going to add the most value to the roster. The only way to make a snap decision on a trade is if you know exactly what you are giving up. The offer will be in a pre-determined range most likely and so the Jets just lock down their end of it to have certainty on half the process.

Then they wait.

When the clock is down to 5 minutes remaining they give the Buccaneers a quick courtesy call, "any interest in the pick?" 2 minutes later they call the Chargers asking the same question.

Then they walk the card up to the podium and make the BPA their pick.

If they get lucky one of the teams behind them jumped on the buzz and made the call to them to trade up. If they get really lucky they get a call from the Chiefs or the Jaguars.

16. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Hypothetically, couldn't they wait and defer the pick? Isn't there some random rule where they can pass on their pick and jump in whenever they want?

17. CleveSteve

CleveSteve Active Member

So what you're saying is the Jets get one of the top 8 players on their board, but they're not happy about it, take their full 12 minutes and make for an awkward press conference where they have to convince the media, "no, we really did get the player we wanted."

18. CleveSteve

CleveSteve Active Member

There are zero good reasons to do that and a handful of really good reasons to not do it.

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Well, they're clearly going to get the player they wanted if they cannot trade the pick. They're just going to get him earlier than the optimal slot. So the "no we really did get the player we wanted" question is going to be invalid.

Taking the full 12 minutes is not an issue at all. If the Jets have the possibility of making a trade that would create more value for them they should take the full allotment of time in the hopes of making that happen.

Not exploring trade options if they're on the 9 and a semi-blue chip QB prospect is still there would be irresponsible from a value perspective. Not exploring the options if they like a bunch of players that are less valuable than the 9 pick is also iffy given the overall roster strength at this point.

The Jets need to maximize their assets moving forward. they have played fast and loose with them for 5 years now and that's the primary reason they're in trouble right now.

#119 Br4d, Jan 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  20. wildaces

wildaces Banned

This is somewhat off topic, but I didn't want to start a new thread. I have been spending sometime recently reviewing different options at QB this upcoming year and fell in love with a prospect. It is very possible that I am jumping the gun, as there is not a lot of information out there on this guy, but he was mentored by the same man as Peyton Manning and Eli Manning.

Sean Renfree - Duke

I could only find limited tape on him, but I haven't seen any prospect with his skill set. His pocket awareness in that limited tape appears to be stellar, and manning-esqe. His ball fakes are that of Chad Pennington, and his touch is Brady like.

Watching the limited tape, I feel that if he played for a high caliber team, he would be the top QB taken this year. He is a prospect however.