The longer this search take, the more it magnifies the real problem!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by klecko73, Jan 10, 2013.

1. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

I dont think prospective GMs are scared off by the cap Anyone coming in knows that the ownership has to cut them some slack to get it straightened out. They would probably have a two year pass. I think the power sharing is the problem. So what if you have a few years to get the cap straight if you are going to be forced to make stupid personnel decisions during that time. Add to that the fact that Woody is a tool, and it is not hard to figure that out at first glance and that is what is scaring these wannabes away.

2. Jon_Snow

Jon_Snow New Member

I tend to agree. The only thing I'd say about the cap is that once you cut all those players you have a lot of positions to fill with not a lot of money. At key positions like the QB you have a guaranteed contract. Ownership is telling you who you should cut, you can't touch the QB, or the HC, and what players they want in the draft. You basically are boxed in without a lot of good options surrounded by idiots telling what to do. So what if they don't fire you for 2 years, by the end of that time no will want to hire you after the Jets have destroyed your career.

3. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I don't think it is The Cap alone that makes them shy away / say no thanks it is the total package.

Rex being forced on them and the Gm having limited control
    The BIG qb question mark
    And the fact that their were better situations / opportunities out there.

These along with the cap mess would make me think many will say no thanks

4. Realistic Jets Fan

So you don't think anyone but Cohen will be signed as the GM?

5. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

That's a pretty optimistic way of looking at it. They've spoken to a lot of very qualified candidates, I can't imagine that better ones are lurking around waiting for the last available job.

6. NotSatoshiNakamoto

What candidates have the jets actually interviewed? Who have they offered the job to?

7. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Irrespective of who they have or haven't interviewed or offered, the greater concern may be that most of the best available candidates are all out of the running because they've either taken a new job(Caldwell, Dorsey, Norv as OC) or are just no longer being considered (Gamble).

8. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I think that these interviews are much like this reply to you,,,,,just a formality .

I have said all along I think that they will make me puke and promote from within and yes I think this is all window dressing and that unless Woody crumbles under public opinion that Cohen is their guy :sad:

Some people think that these conditions don't mean a thing ,,,,I think that no one that is qualified or in their right mind will take this GM job under these circumstances .

#108 CBG, Jan 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  9. The_Darksider

I don't think it's the cap either. It doesn't make sense - a GM doesn't generally go for an intereview with a team where everything is perfect and ready to take the next step. So I don't buy into any of that.

It is more likely that the Jets (read: Woody) are taking a longer period of time to evaluate their options. Whether or not the whole Rex thing has anything to do with it is anyone's guess. If I had to guess, I'd say it's definitely a minor concern, but all that means is these guys will look elsewhere and could be back - another argument for waiting.

10. The_Darksider

There's a list in the OP, they've spoken to a bunch of guys. Obviously they haven't offered anyone the job or we'd have heard about it.

11. Jon_Snow

Jon_Snow New Member

I think the homers are going to claim a moral victory if we hire anyone, even if its another team's janitor. As long as they have a pulse.

You know when you applied to colleges you'd always apply to one backup school just in case you were rejected by the ones you wanted. The Jets are the backup team for the candidates.

#111 Jon_Snow, Jan 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  12. JetsFanatic

JetsFanatic Active Member

Charley Casserly on NFLN disagrees with you. He said that the Jets GM job is attractive because they have an owner who is willing to spend money and they have a solid HC in place.

13. JetsFanatic

JetsFanatic Active Member

That's right, only the smart fans whine.

14. NotSatoshiNakamoto

My point was that we don't know what's going on, we can only guess. I would imagine if a candidate really stood out they would have had an offer and that would have been reported. Since we haven't heard of any candidates declining offers from the Jets I'll assume they haven't made any.

I also wouldn't assume that someone is no longer being considered if they didn't already get hired. Obviously the Jets will be hiring one of the guys they interviewed.

15. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Jetfanatic I kinda wish Charley Casserly would take the job :beer:

I am sure alot of people disagree with me,,,,,,but there are also others who agree with me,,,no biggie either way . I am sticking to my guns and saying that Cohen will eventually get this job . I hope and pray it is not going to be more of the same ole same ole but the organization does not learn from mistakes and most likely will repeat it with Cohen--then guys can say what a great hire he IS --maybe Casserly likes Cohen also, that is something me and him can also disagree on . I hope I am wrong about this :sad:

16. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

RealisticJetfan,I now have a simple question for you . Since the Jets have brought in around a DOZEN or so candidates,,,,,are ANY OF THEM BAD CHOICES in your eyes ? Some were talent guys others lately are cap guys,,, I mean are they all good or great options ? I will simplify it,,, out of ALL THOSE NAMES that have had interviews ,,,which guys if any in your mind are bad choices ?

17. Jon_Snow

Jon_Snow New Member

Ok now were down to one other team left beside the Jets. KC has hired their GM. So candidates time to flip a coin HEADS you lose and go to the Browns, TAILS you lose and go to the Jets.

18. DRC™

DRC™ Active Member

Lulz

2008 : 3 5 star & 19 4 star players
    2009: 4 5 star & 14 4 star players
    2010: 1 5 star & 15 4 star players
    2011: 3 5 star & 14 4 star players
    2012: 3 5 star & 14 4 star players

Yup, not much talent

19. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

See, we haven't extended an offer to someone yet either. So we can't really lean one way or another why these people aren't getting offers. The thing is, Gamble who we all thought was a prime candidate, still is without a job. That in itself should show we have no idea who is good or not since they all are mostly new GMs

20. Realistic Jets Fan

Khan from the Steelers would be another non-football guy like Tanny

Also not thriilled with the CFL guy, Telesco. Dorsey or Cohen

My top choice is still Gamble but I woudnt be miserable with D'Angelo or Gaine or Ross

I'd provide a larger list

but like you and everyone else not named Hughes or Johnson, I don't actually know who has or hasn't been interviewed and who is or isn't still scheduled for an interview