One Thing Was Settled For The Jets In the Playoff Games Today

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsKickAss, Jan 13, 2013.

1. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

They absolutely CANNOT trade Darrelle Revis.

No F****** way.

After watching 'good' defensive teams getting torched -- watching Denver blow a game because a safety tried to go for an interception (after taking a bad route and after lining up 10 yards too close to the line of scimmage) you can't weaken your #1 asset (pass defense).

Woody needs to sign DR to an reasonable contact with the 'understanding' that he'll be employed as a commentator or something on SNY and/or given a lifetime supply of Johnson & Johnson bandaids for signing a cap-friendly deal after 2013.

Hey, Dan Marino signed a ridiculously-low contract with the Dolphins and miraculously got a tip on Republic Waste Industries whose CEO/controlling shareholder was Wayne Huizenga. LOL

As long as it's not too egregious, the league can't do anything about it.

2. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

I think it's more of a fact that keeping Rex is not a bad idea. Do you honestly think Rex's defense would allow a play like that?

3. WillyBeaman

WillyBeaman New Member

Outstanding post. Jets defense is underrated. Is hard to play defense with no firepower on the other side of the ball.

This is a 2 win team with an average nfl defense.

4. laxin

laxin Active Member

Or maybe the thing to learn from the game is that you need a very good offense to win in this league even though you may a great defense (look at the Ravens and 49ers).

I dont see how these games proved a thing for Revis...

5. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

Great point, Woody needs to put his one (and only) redeeming quality to good use.

6. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

We should keep Revis because he's the best defensive player in the league.

7. laxin

laxin Active Member

Its a good thing that he's going to want to get paid like it too!

8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Will there ever be enough money to satisfy Revis? Every time we give Revis money, he wants more money because he's not being paid enough. We're already in trouble for paying too few guys too much money. Other teams have made the SB w/o Revis. We're not in the SB conversation yet, or anytime soon, but we can atleast get our financial house in order. Make Revis a reasonable offer and if he holds out AGAIN, trade him for whatever you can get and get his cap number off the books. He may be a luxury we just can't afford anymore.

9. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

I agree 100% ... The idea of trading him is ridiculous. In today's NFL, defense is all about stopping the passing game ... and that's the one thing we actually do pretty well.

I'll add this ... do whatever it takes to keep Landry. Give me a 2013 defense with Revis, Cromartie, Landry, Davis, Harris, Wilkerson and Coples ... and a competent NFL QB who doesn't turn the ball over 3 times a game. If we have only that much, we'll be ok next year.

10. BTC

BTC New Member

Get burned over the top like that? No not Landry or Bell.

That was a hanus fuck up on the safety.

11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I ask again.. How much of the Cap are you willing to give to Revis?

12. laxin

laxin Active Member

Well he's going to want more than 10% of the cap... On one player... That can only cover a single player. It just doesnt make sense and just can not be justified.

13. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

finally some sense around here

the fact that your secondary is so vital and us having a top flight secondary along with adding a pass rusher or 2 via the draft/free agency will make this D elite

exactly
    and he should

DE- Coples
    NT- Pouha/Ellis
    DE- Wilkerson
    OLB- Draft
    ILB- Harris
    ILB- Davis
    OLB- Free Agency
    CB- Revis
    Slot- Wilson
    S- Landry
    S- Bell/FA/Draft
    CB- Cromartie

10%

seems reasonable

14. BTC

BTC New Member

Even though I really like Davis I still say we should have drafted Courtney Upshaw. Moved up to get him, whatever.

I'm not sold on Ellis yet. I want him to do well but not sold yet. We need that Kris Jenkins middle run stopper to tie up the RG, C, LG. Or just go to a 4-3.

#14 BTC, Jan 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  15. laxin

laxin Active Member

Well today I saw two elite defenses let up 21+ points in the Ravens and 49ers. I think we can both agree that both are better than ours. The thing that stood out to me was that both of these elite defenses got scored on and their offenses had to put up more points. You can draft 2 passrushers and give Revis and Landry all the money they want... But you can bet that this offense wont be able to put up over 15 points a game.

In todays NFL, you need to put up at least 24 against legit SB contenders because no matter how great 2 corners may be, there still going to be 2 other players that are running routes.

Revis should get paid like the best CB in the NFL. But theres no way a CB should get paid more than the best pass rusher or even ILB like Patrick Willis. Simply due to position, they are just limited in the ways they can impact a game.

16. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

In a perfect world I wouldn't even entertain the thought of trading Revis, but considering where the Jets are at, we have to at least consider it. This team could use the cap space and the draft picks to rebuild this team into a contender again.

17. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

I understand that and again I think our defense with more speed at LB will be the best in the NFL especially with Rex here. The offense isn't a major fix, plug a few holes, get a better OC and we'll likely be in play for one of the QB's that come available(Alex Smith for example) and as long as our offense can make plays when needed and stay on the field to give our defense rest then our team will be fine

As for how much Revis should get paid, he should be paid as the best defender in the NFL but I think he should settle for being paid as a top defender, #1 corner. But you gotta understand guys are getting big money you cant just expect him to not wanna get paid after 6 guys on our team got ridiculous money and he got a band aid deal

18. NFL

NFL Active Member

Ravens defense is not better than ours. And the 49ers weakest spot on defense is CBs, which is our strength.

Anyways I agree with this post. I've seen people on here go on and on saying that you don't pay a CB that much money, but the league being the way it is, I think that having 2 strong corners is one of the most important things, and we got 3 strong corners, and other who aren't bad at all. 10% is reasonable, that's like $14 mil if I'm estimating correctly. Pay the man!

19. RobertTheJr

RobertTheJr Member

Revis is my favorite jet. However, how much talent at corner does this team need in order to be successful? If he has excess talent that does this team no good and the team has to pay him for it - it is actually counter productive.

Cromartie showed this season what he was capable of. The name of the game in 2013 for the NYJ's will be maximaization of talent all around. Keeping Revis may not be part of the solution.

In other words, if 75% of Revis is enough to succeed at the same level, and we are paying Revis for 100% of his talent, do we need Revis?

20. jetiron

jetiron New Member

that was terrible play by Denver FS, but I would bet 90% of the time that an average defense in the NFL would win a game leading by 7 with less than one minute left and no time outs and about 70 yards to go.