Potential GM Candidates (Update: Idzik Officially Hired)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Dec 31, 2012.

1. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Revis has more to do with 2014 than 2013. I'm in the mindset that next year is a rebuilding year. There is no way to completely rehaul the offense this offseason. under the best of circumstances the team will have 20 million to work with, and more realistically about 12-13 million when you factor in the set asides for draft choices and a few other factors. Meanwhile that assumes no starting OLB's from last year, losing your leading receiver over the past 5 years in Keller, losing your leading rusher over the past 4 years, losing your starting DE, probably losing your starting DT, losing at 2 starting guards from last season, and well you get the picture.

14 million to spend and having only 10 starters from last year on your roster, maybe 11, on a team that overall wasn't that good.

in 2014, assuming you drop scott, you have 88 million tied in to 18 players, and the salary cap will probably only go up between 6-8%, or about 7 or 8 million dollars probably as the top end, and more likely around 6 million.

Plus, if Revis does leave after 2013 as a free agent the Jets get hit with a 9 million cap hit on revis from the accelerted pro-rated bonus's for 2014, 2015, and 2016, at 3M per year. Imagine losing Revis for a 3rd round comp pick AND getting hit with a 9M cap hit in 2014.

It's not a matter of if the team is better or worse with or without Revis in 2013, it's clear the team is lesser without him, but the question is 2014. If this team were built to be a contender in 2013 you roll the dice and don't worry about 2014. But I do not in any way see this team as a contender in 2013, the roster is in too much of a shamble and the cap space too mucked up.

But that's just this persons viewpoint.

#401 1968jetsfan, Jan 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  2. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

As I said in my trade Revis thread dated last winter, the time to trade him was last draft day. Now coming off an ACL, his value is lessened yet his contract remains in tact. Expect a rought 2-3 years guys, this team is in full rebuilding mode. Any Potential GM candidate can see this, hence why we don't have one yet. Magnify this with the "Rex clause" and we could be picking the bottom of the barrel of candidates...

3. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Are you sure thats why we don't have one yet? Or is it possible that we just haven't decided on one yet? Of course not, obviously all these superman candidates are running away from the Jets and we will be left with some teams assistant janitor.

4. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

Hey who the hell knows, all I know is that this could be the worst GM job in the NFL; outside of Jacksonville... Wait didn't they get their candidate, who interviewed with the Jets? Just sayin

5. maynardsmyhero-uk

maynardsmyhero-uk Well-Known Member

Actually they would gain 8.25m by trading Cromartie which will be part of their thoughts...

6. maynardsmyhero-uk

maynardsmyhero-uk Well-Known Member

anyone wanting a sensible article on the jets salary cap should read nyjets salary cap...great dissection by Jason as to why we are not in as bad a position as many may like to point out

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I don't think it is that much unless the Jets can trade Cromartie in the narrow window after the league year opens and his $2.3M roster bonus comes due. I think that unless the Jets have a deal lined up at that juncture they are going to take a $4.8 million dollar cap hit when they complete the trade. That would give them a $5.95 million dollar cap savings for the year.

I'm actually not sure how roster bonuses are handled in the new CBA either. I should probably look at that.

8. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Have you guys noticed how we are shifting from interviewing candidates with a personnel background to guys with a salary/financial one? It kind of scares me...

9. laxin

laxin Active Member

Because those personnel guys problem told them in their interview that our cap situation is an absolute mess.

10. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Jets added Packers executive Russ Ball to their list of candidates. Can't paste tweet ... on phone.

11. Petey

Petey Active Member

Heard this too. A few people on Twitter say he's Ted Thompson's #2/right hand man which sounds great, although if that's the case I'm surprised I never heard his name mentioned elsewhere.

12. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

In which case, I hear Mike Tannenbaum can be had.

13. AlToon

AlToon Member

I don't understand what #Jets are doing. Why bring in these cap guys & give Rex more power, while putting him in a win-or-else situation?

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/290172429869912066

Another media guy being mean to the Jets. Doesn't he realize the Jets are in good hands with headhunting firm hired by Woody and Woody himself?

The Jets don't understand what they are doing either. The Jets??????????

14. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Manish Mehta
    Jets interview Packers exec Russ Ball for GM job, per @ProFootballTalk. That's at least 9 candidates interviewed http://t.co/Wes9Tfvl #nyj

15. AlToon

AlToon Member

Ball is a cap guy. The Seattle guy is a cap guy. The Pittsburgh guy is a cap guy.

Mostly a cap guy. Who would run football? RT @ProFootballTalk Jets add Packers exec Russ Ball to the G.M. carousel

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/290171186833391616

Who would run football? REX.

16. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

You overlooked the 9.5 million in dead money that would still count against the cap.

17. Matt4776

Matt4776 Active Member

18. AlToon

AlToon Member

Restructuring contracts. Pushing back bad debt. That guy sounds like a Jets apologist.

19. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

they need a guy who will come in and tell woody to sit down and shut the fuck up. and then run the organization in a sensible way.

but that isnt going to happen.

20. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Actually he sounds like a guy who knows what the hell he's talking about.