Potential GM Candidates (Update: Idzik Officially Hired)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Dec 31, 2012.

1. maynardsmyhero-uk

maynardsmyhero-uk Well-Known Member

There is no way Revis and Cro are on this team next year as a tandem...that exercise of 20% of the cap tied up in 2 x cb was a skewed way of using the cap.

Championships are not won by having an elite cb tandem..due to this obsession of Rex's we have been unable to upgrade other areas that would push us over the top i.e pass rush / wr and oline....ignoring the obvious elephant in the room of the qb.

2. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

the cap is suppose to skyrocket in 2014 and why break up the #1 tandem in the NFL. If they both keep this up and we get some speed at LB along with the development of Wilkerson-Ellis-Coples, Kyle in the slot and serviceable safeties. With a revamped offense, tell me that team isn't legit

3. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

With this offense it's not legit. As it is the Jets defense allowed the second fewest air yards in the league last year. But they did get run on badly and they did rank 20th in points allowed last year, then again part of that was the fact the Jets offense couldn't stay on the field and couldn't put up points. Still the Jets D gave up the 7th fewest first downs in the league.

The offense on the other hand ranked #20 in first down with 10% of their first downs coming off of penalties. Only the Eagles gave the ball away as many times as the Jets did last season, which left both defenses on their heels much of the seaon. The Jets averaged 3 give aways per game. That's going to wreck the scoring percentages a lot. And there is no quick fix on the offensive side of the ball. 3/5ths of the O-line needs an overhaul, the most consitent receiver over the past 5 seasons is a free agent, QB is not good, the RB situation isn't good, with the leading team rusher also a free agent. Two of our 4 LB's will be gone next year, our ILB situation should be good against the run but Harris isn't a cover man. Not to mention both the teams starting safeties are also free agents. Add to all that after the cuts the jets will only have between 12-13 million in cap space, at best and it quickly becomes apparent next year is a rebuilding year. And 2014, unless the do some maneuvering with 27 players under contract (assuming Scott is cut) and 88 million comitted to those 27 players. Or probably around 32 million in free cap space.

Next year, if the new front office is smart, will be a rebuilding year. Of course Woody and Rex may not stand for that.

With the offense in the shape they're in now, it will take a new GM and OC at least 1 full season to start to right the ship, probably 2 or 3 to really get competitive again.

4. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

5. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

the offense we had this year will be completely rehauled next year. There's no way we're going to sit back and go through that again. And I hate how guys are saying since we had the 2nd ranked pass defense we can get by without Revis when teams found out we couldn't stop the run so they just ran more, we didn't play any top flight passing teams and teams rarely through as much.

Trading Revis will do more harm than good, I'm getting sick of seeing it suggested as well. Another hole to fill when we have the #1 corner in the league, who teams will kill for

6. maynardsmyhero-uk

maynardsmyhero-uk Well-Known Member

Revis will want a contract that means we cannot keep two elite cb's ...its simply not realistic in the current era..its been nice while it lasts but no team wins a superbowl with 2 x cbs as the cornerstone of their philosophy

We will have to trade one of them , the team cannot justify such an outlay . 1 x elite cb is a need , having two is a luxury we cannot afford.

Plus if we had drafted well a serviceable no2 cb would be on our roster .....

7. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Has anybody seen who Caldwell is interviewing for Head coaches in Jax? Get rid of Rex hire a kindergartner as GM and let them run your organization.

Maybe this was the hire to get Jax so bad they can move to LA.

8. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

so if a team had 2 top flight pass rushers making #1 money would they trade one.......NO, dont do it because its CB's who've become very valuable. Our defense is built around them and there's no way we can replace one with guarantee of getting something of value back.

now would I trade Cro today to Detroit for the #5 pick and draft Dee Milliner, yes but not Revis

9. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I seriously doubt Revis is going anywhere.

10. AlToon

AlToon Member

11. The results of their prior searches say otherwise. If Woody is clueless I guess that means the NFL's corporate offices are clueless too.

12. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

It's hard to tell if he is talking about the Jets or the organization they hired to find a GM.

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Trading Cro gains the Jets about $1.25 million on the cap. Trading Revis nets a loss of another $3 million. It's not like the two of them aren't taking $20 million off the cap no matter what happens, they are.

14. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

This is an important point... with Sanchez too. The Jets didn't keep Rex on staff to rebuild and go 1-15 next year. The idea is to STILL attempt to "win now". The Jets aren't going to make moves that COST them money on the cap unless there is a damn good reason to do it. Internet poster thinking "this player sucks" doesn't count.

15. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Yeah, these idiots don't understand this isn't madden and there is usually a price to pay if you decide to cut or trade someone mid-contract.

16. Jets1035

Jets1035 Active Member

Nobody wants to come here! We are going to get second rate and retread candidates because of what a circus we are. Woody fucked this whole thing up with the Rex love afaire. Woody has run the team we love into the shit house. We are the biggest joke in the NFL. I hope he looses a ton of money next year, and season ticket holders as well. Wish we kept Shotty and Tannenbaum. We would be better off then we are right now. 5-11 next year. Write it down.
    Stupid son of a millionare owner we have. Never did anything in his life but screw the Jet fans out of their money

17. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

I think you're a Patriots troll. I have never heard one thing even remotely positive come from you since I've been here. It's all 'FIRE REX, FIRE TANNENBAUM, WOODY IS AN EVIL OWNER WHO HATES WINNING'

18. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Who are these first tier candidates that you speak of? There is no such thing as first tier GM candidates,90% of the time they are all in the same tier, the unknown tier.

Most GM candidates are guys who have worked their way up to the opportunity to become GM. We will eventually get one of those guys.

19. Ghost50

Ghost50 Well-Known Member

can't we just re-hire Tannenbum? I bet he has learnt his lesson

20. Realistic Jets Fan

Jet fans are the worst of the worst