Ian O'Connor: "Weak Woody bamboozled by Rex"

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by klecko73, Jan 9, 2013.

1. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

All valid points. I guess where we disagree regarding your points is as follows:

1.) In 2011 and 2012 Rex showed poor leadership skills in terms of overruling the horrible playcalling by our OC's. I also think the way he handled the QB situation this season was horrible. The buck stops with the HC on having final authority in these areas and I think he failed here.

2.) Stability is key in any organization no doubt. However I just don't buy the stability argument because the rest of the franchise is in complete turmoil right now from missing out on the top GM target to the awful QB situation to players anonymously calling out teammates in the media to a horrible offense. If you want to say that Rex is the only stability then that's fine. However I could take the opposing view and say that a lot of this instability is due to Rex Ryan and his presence here. Who knows if Caldwell was truly scared off by the fact that he couldn't bring in his own HC? Also who knows what Rex and Tanny truly promised Tebow and if they strung him along the whole time? Also who knows how much input Rex truly had into the atrocious offensive playcalling of Sparano?

3.) Tannenbaum told Fatcessa last week that every single draft pick and FA acquisition that they made over the last 4 years came with Rex's blessing. So Rex clearly has issues in terms of evaluating talent through the draft and via FA especially on offense. Obviously Tanny is to blame here but Rex assumes much of the blame here too.

Again we agree to disagree on how Rex is perceived. I just don't see the leverage in Rex Ryan that some on here see. I think he's a good defensive coach period but that's it.

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

playcalling wasn't the issue on O in either season.

we've had good drafts over the last 4 years

3. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

:lol: That made me laugh. The playcalling, the joke manner in how they used Tebow when everyone in the stadium knew that he was getting the ball and on and on and on. Yes the playcalling was horrific.

4. Jon_Snow

Jon_Snow New Member

are you insane? playcalling has been bad and the draft for the past 4 years has been one of the worst in the NFL.

5. geomon

geomon Well-Known Member

Now, now. We all know he's not insane. Just differently abled.

6. nyjunc

so our O would have been much better if we had a better playcaller? it was all playcalling not lack of talent? not a pass O that saw Kerley, Schilens, Gates, Cumberland, reuland as our main options most of the year

The playcalling was worse this year but it wasn't why we sucked.

7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Is anybody EVER a bad coach?

In my time here I don't ever remember you criticizing any NYJ coach/administrator. Excuses were made by you over the years for Herm, Mangini, Rex, Hackett, Schottenheimer, Dinger, Sutton, Cottrell, Bradway, Tannenbaum, Woody Johnson etc. etc. etc. Now Sparano?

A lot of the guys up there probably got bad raps on here over the years, fans like to voice their displeasure, the Jets fanbase is no differant than any passionate fanbase in that regard - but give me a break, Sparano?!!?

What is it going to take for you to criticize/acknowledge criticism of a guy in the NYJ personnel? Do you truly feel these ways or are you just arguing for fun?

Sparano was quite possibly the worst offensive coordinator in the history of this franchise and that's saying something. He's not the first offensive coordinator in the NFL to ever have to deal with injuries like this, but he did a truly horrific job anyway you look at it with this offense. Gameplanning - got awful, play calling - god awful, snapping the ball and actually running a basic, fluid "play" - god awful...

I'm sorry this is straying off from the point of this thread but good grief! Sparano?!

8. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Yes Junc is a top of the line candidate for deprogramming by licensed MDs from his affliction of love for the NYJs :sad:

9. nyjunc

w/in the last 4 drafts we only drafted 21 players:

20 have already starter and that includes the last 2 drafts where guys are still developing.

Maybe we haven't had HRs like getting Revis & harris in the same draft but we've had good drafts.

10. nyjunc

where did I say Sparano did a good job? please show me

The pooint is that for the majority of the year these were our weapons on O:

1. Kerley
    2. Schilens
    3. Gates
    4. Cumberland
    5. Reuland

No playcalling is going to help that talent, I am happy we are getting a new OC but I don't blame Tony. he didn't have a chance.

I'm not a whiny excuse maker who needs scapegoats, sorry that offends you.

11. BrowningNagle

So in the post directly above this, you defend Tannenbaum saying the draft talent has been good, yet in this post you say you don't blame Sparano because he had no talent to work with....

hmmmmm

lastly, you may not be a whiny excuse maker who needs scapegoats, but Rex Ryan certainly is.

12. nyjunc

you do realize we had a ton of INJURIES, right? Jeremey kerley was our #1 most of the season, he was supposed to be our 3rd option coming into the season. Chaz Schilens was supposed to be a 5th WR/on the verge of being cut and he was the 2nd best healthy weapon in the offense. Clyde Gates who couldn't make the Dolphins vaunted WR corps was our 3rd option. Do you see where I am going w/ this?

I don't blame Tony for what happened, we could have had Bill Walsh and Joe Montana but w/o healthy talent to throw to we still would have struggled.

13. BrowningNagle

The Jets had injuries this year, sure, but offensively not THAT many. No injuries to starting QB, starting RB, and any of the starting OL.. I'd say that's pretty solid.

They lost their No.1 reciever and No 1. Tight End, for many of the games this season, sure. But there are many teams in the league with better offenses, some of which that are still playing right now on the cusp of the SB, with worse injuries than that on offense.

The fact that those guys you mentioned had to play exhibits the poor job Tannenbaum did assembling depth at the bottom of the roster and finding talent..

The fact that those guys didn't look like they could run a basic passing play or exhibit any semblance of an NFL rhythm passing game exhibits the poor job Sparano did in preparation, game planning and play calling..

14. nyjunc

again, our weapons for the majority of the season were: Kerley, Schilens, Gates, Cumberland, Reuland. We had no one to throw to.

The O is completely different if Holmes and/OR Keller are healthy all year.

15. Jon_Snow

Jon_Snow New Member

Holmes played 4 games and if you take out the miami game he averaged 4 rec/40 yards a game. In his last game the Jets got shut out. So how would it make a difference if he played all season. The other poster is right, other teams have had far worse injuries on offense and yet seem to be able to maintain a respectable offense.

Seriously you aren't making a very convincing argument. Over the past few years the Jets have one of the lowest injury rates in the league. Despite that they have trouble finding a competent backup to take over.

#235 Jon_Snow, Jan 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  16. C'mon man..injuries were a MAJOR issue this year.Consider the names of guys who played here and the positions they played. This injury bug began with the start of TC. The projected # 1 offense was RARELY even on the practice field together.

Consider these names of guys that were hurt. Additionally pay close attention to the chain of depth from position to position..IE..1st string..second string..to garbage street free agent.

RB: Powell/Mcknight/Greene- All missed multiple games.
    WR: Holmes/Hill/Kerley/Schilens/ J. Hill/Gates/Gilyard - All except Gilyard missed multiple games
    TE: Keller/Cumberland/Josh Baker/Dedric Epps/Reuland/Hayden Smith- All but Reuland & Smith missed multiple games.

That's alot of channels through the depth chart as well as instability. There were certainly root problems aside from Injuries..but no doubt they played a significant role in the issues at hand

17. nyjunc

The 3 full games he played our O averaged 20 PPG and that was w/o Dustin Keller.

the past few years have nothing to do with 2012.

18. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Scotty McKnight

The players from Baylor this year. Hell, we drafted the wrong Robert Griffin.

We need a new GM, HC, and QB.

19. nyjunc

if you are looking for a GM that hits on every draft pick you will be disappointed as that person does not exist.

20. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

One that doesn't miss on 6 or 7 or whatever the number is of 1st round picks would be ok. And that's only the slightest of exaggerations.