The longer this search take, the more it magnifies the real problem!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by klecko73, Jan 10, 2013.

1. rpetrulsky

rpetrulsky New Member

A job no one wants?

Who would want it?

2. klecko73

klecko73 Guest

You have completely misread me. I don't hate Woody at all. I am happy the team upgraded from their dump of a facility in Hofstra to a professional facility. Woody paid for this. I am happy we have a real training camp at Cortland. Woody paid for this. I am happy we have a new stadium. Woody paid for this. (Am I happy about sharing it with the Giants or PSLs, no, but the guy made an effort for the WSS and was derailed by scumbag local politicians who STILL HAVE NOT DEVELOPED THE SITE.)

I am not looking to scapegoat anything. When you are the owner and leader of an organization, the buck stops there. Ownership conveys both authority and responsibility. Scapegoating is firing Tony Sparano, saying he was a disaster but neglecting the fact that he had zero tools on offense to work with.

Woody is the owner of the NY Jets. Ultimately he is the only common denominator in this equation since he took ownership of the team. The team, under his tenure, has a .500 record, a division title, multiple division championships and more play off wins than any other owner/management team in NY Jets history and did that in 12 years. I applaud Woody for this accomplishment. HOWEVER, he has not brought a championship to this franchise and that is ultimately how a team's success is determined.

Are you satisfied with the above? I am not. And the performance of the team in 2011 and 2012 is demonstrative of an organization trying to squeeze a few more years out of the three year run in 2008-2010 when they should have rebuilt. Great teams and organizations recognize this cycle, embrace it and use it to their advantage. Instead we have found ourselves in cap hell with the cupboard empty.

The only viable solution is to accept reality for what it is and start over and I am not convinced that Woody can see that at this point in time. His past history is indicative of an individual seeking short-term fixes to long-term systemic problems. I applaud the fact that he finally recognized that the Jets problems stemmed from the QB position. I applaud the fact that the Jets organization has been aggressive in trying to fix this problem since Pennington and get a franchise QB. The problem isn't in intent, it is in execution. The execution phase is solely on management and the organizational structure in place, and that is where the Jets have woefully failed. He is the owner and he is ultimately responsible.

3. Realistic Jets Fan

How dare you post a logical, intelligent and realistic assessment of the situation.

Aren't you aware that the SOJF internet armchair gurus fueled by their sports radio heroes like Benigno, Francesa, LaGreca etc demand that a new GM be hired instantly, without any due diligence and based on knee jerk reflex action

Why do it the right way when we can use the same instantaneous actions that gave the Jets GMs like Hickey, Ward and Steinberg and Head Coaches like Winner, Holtz, Michaels, Coslet Kotite, Edwards and Mangini.

We finally had a good GM for 8 years and currently have a good Head Coach for a change....

Throw it all out and bring in the first guy we interview. DAMMIT

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Of course.

And if they end up hiring Scott Cohen... he was simply THE RIGHT MAN FOR THE JOB!

5. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

If we get Saban I don't care how long it takes. Scott Choen they could have hired when the door closed behind Tanny on his way out.

My guess is we don't hire Cohen simply because Woody is so press concsious. They would have given the HC job to Shotty instead of Rex if they weren't.

#25 Biggs, Jan 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  6. abyzmul

Nick Saban? He has his own kingdom in Alabama. Why would he leave all that just to come to the Jets for 3 years?

7. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

It would take a kingdom in NYC which is still beter than a kingdom in Alabama. I suspect a piece of the ownership of a potential billion dollar company might be intriguing?

8. abyzmul

Scott Cohen is the 'face-saving' falback option when every GM that walks through the door realizes what a shitshow they're interviewing for.

9. abyzmul

The Jets are a duchy, not a kingdom.

10. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

There have been several "discussions" and points made on these boards where posters inclined to be more optimistic have argued that those taking a more skeptical view on this process do not have proof, or inside knowledge, of actual problems in the search process. These arguments are mirrored in discussions about such matters as Pettine taking a lateral move to, heh, Buffalo. And of course are supplemented by disparaging comments made about candidates who have gone elsewhere.

And it is true that the skeptics are relying on their opinions about the few objective facts that are known to us, such as Caldwell being on the Jets' list and going to the Jags. But is it only opinions that are being used?

No. As you point out, there is what lawyers term a course of conduct here as well. There is a pattern. And we need not go too far back for proof of this pattern, although history other than more recent events does support that pattern.

It is after all fair to assume that most of the major moves made last off season were either Woody's own decisions or were approved by him. In addition to the Tebow trade there was the lame attempt to get Peyton Manning, and the end result being the Sanchez contract extension and Stanton let go to Indy. There was blatant mismanagement of the roster in keeping Wayne Hunter well into camp and pre-season. Hiring Tony Sparano. The list of course goes on and on, and it is too depressing right now for me to do so here.

In short, Woody does not know what he is doing. It was a huge mistake for him to say any GM would have to work with Rex. Beyond that the basis for concluding that the Jets are having difficulty is not merely the opinions of skeptics, but the rational inference that others see in the history of the Jets under Woody an organization and a manner of doing business that is dysfunctional.

If you had a choice to work in a good business environment, or a dysfunctional one, which would you choose?

Logic makes it hard to be a homer right now.

#30 Big Blocker, Jan 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  11. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Nice job :up:

12. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

How dare you use facts to backup your well thought out position! But I swear, it's pure speculation that Woody Johnson is an apathetic owner. It's not like the Owner has anything to do with that laundry list of F'ups that you listed above. It's just contrived by fans and the media, none of that stuff really happened. All kidding aside, good post.

13. namath4ever

namath4ever Member

Couldn't agree more junc. Let the process play out and interview as many candidates as we can. Taking the first candidate doesn't ensure success any more than taking the 20th candidate does. Hiring the RIGHT guy is most important

14. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Maybe nobody any good wants the job...certainly no surprise there with the fact they are already coming in with little to no authority over who coaches the team.

15. namath4ever

namath4ever Member

How do we know who is any good when the high majority have never been GM's in their lives?

16. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I'm not a believer that the time it takes matters, it's who we hire and how much authority they get that matters. If it takes 10 weeks and we get the right guy that's fine.

17. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

The thing about Nick Saban is, he may be the best coach out there, college or pro; but he also gets to refresh his team with 25 new players each year, and they're always the best high school players in the country. It's also self-perpetuating; which is to say, the more he wins, the more the best talent wants to go to Alabama. I suspect that part of his frustration in Miami was having to deal with aging (and stubborn) veteran talent pool and having a limited ability to replace them with something better.

18. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Many of us agree to disagree but just as THE "K" word was banned by many from this site might I suggest that from here on out no one be allowed to use the word " PROCESS " ,,,,,just sayin :beer:

19. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

^This. It's all about the quality of the candidate not the process.

20. abyzmul

The good part about the Miami job was that he was able to give free scouting info to his good buddy Bill Belichick on the way out the door and Miami was forced to trade Welker to New England a few weeks after he took the job with Alabama.