Potential GM Candidates (Update: Idzik Officially Hired)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Dec 31, 2012.

1. 21stAmendment

21stAmendment Member

this search started off with so much promise... ugh

2. 21stAmendment

21stAmendment Member

John Idzik is a cap guy.

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Wait did I read that right? Was there a C before that FL as in Canadian football? good call Jets....
    seriously tho count me in for the Seahawks guy. the last few years they've been getting KILLED on draft day by the so- called experts yet they've done a tremendous job upgrading that roster.. must be doing something right. I'd like to capture that here

4. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

The GM search started out promising now it's getting scary. If they choose a CFL guy they will have a hard time selling that to the fans. Same thing with Cohen the Jets need talent and a great talent evaluator who out of the bunch is? Whom ever is chosen will have to hit the ground running because we need speed at linebacker and numerous offensive talent. At this point if Gamble is out I like Ross. The Giants have drafted solid for years especially defensively.

5. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

LOLOLOL how is it getting scary?

Caldwell: The guy had three, count them, three interviews with the Jags. Unless we were promising him hookers and 10M dollars, he wasn't coming here.

Gamble: One known interview with us. Strangely enough, has not interviewed with other places to my knowledge. San Diego pulled the plug on interviewing him. Maybe he wasn't as great as we thought.

Ross: No problem with him, if he doesn't get a job, he should come here. I would like him.

Everyone else we have listed: Outside of the organization. Fresh perspective.

You were probably going to complain about whoever we were going to hire saying that they were Rex's puppet and whatnot.

#325 ArmandJ, Jan 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Idzik is worth looking into. He has Jets history the same way Rex has Jets history, through his dad. He's not a big personality but he knows football. He'd be instant credibility around the NFL. He's got a lot of respect around the league.

7. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

With Telesco going to San Diego, Caldwell going to the Jags, this is becoming a snooze and lose proposition.
    It's ill thought out. If the Jet had 1/2 a brain they would have had their list of possible GM candidates before the season ended and they canned Tanny. After all it was clear at least 3 weeks before the season ended Tanny was at the end of the road with the Jets. Personally I know if I'm probably going to be letting someone go I'm looking at and gathering a list of potential replacesments as soon as I'm fairly certain I'm letting him go and BEFORE I actually let him go. It's called planning and foresight...you know, what makes businesses and sports teams successful.

8. ArmandJ

There are only two other teams besides us that are looking for GM's. If you assume Kansas City is a lock for Dorsey, that leaves only the Browns.

Browns or Jets...

9. 1968jetsfan

yep, but do you really want to be left with the people everyone else passed on?

10. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

You should do more research on the people your referencing before you post (other than wiki). He is more than just a "cap guy"

#330 IIMeanDeanII, Jan 10, 2013
  11. ArmandJ

Everyone passed on Wilson nearly three times over but one team...how's that working out for the Seahawks.

Whoever we get will be outside of the organization. Isn't that what everyone really wants? A breath of fresh air? Or are there going to be complaints about THAT as well.

12. IIMeanDeanII

So all you know about the guy is that he is involved in the CFL. So that makes him a horrible candidate, just on that basis alone? Lol

Crazy...

13. laxin

laxin Active Member

Having sustained success in the CFL is pretty impressive if you're part of the scouting and player additions there since many or no-name players. Also Im not sure how much Idzik had to do with the drafts...

#333 laxin, Jan 10, 2013
  14. 1968jetsfan

It's true sometimes a gem gets left on the table, I mean technically you can show up late to an all day 50% off sale and still find something worth buying, but usually the best is gone. sometimes the other teams choose poorly, but do you really want to rely on other teams having to make poor judgments to leave a good candidate on the table?

15. laxin

laxin Active Member

Thats from the Seahawks website... It seems like much of his background deals with player transactions, the cap, contracts ect. Background mostly in football operations and football administrations. Am I missing something really? He may not be a "cap guy" but he doesnt seem like someone who has an extensive background in scouting and pro-personnel?

16. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Rex Is The Ony Known Quantity

I've said nothing about the interviews except who I didn't want and that is Gaine, Cohen and Heckert. But why pay someone 200,000 and still interview everyone in the NFL. I thought this guys job was to streamline and identify the best fit for the Jets. I just feel the Jets are gonna blow and when the music stops we will be left with scraps and Woody standing up there trying to justify the guy we got.

17. IIMeanDeanII

Idzik spent 11 years with the Tampa By Bucs. The last three years he was there he was the Assistant GM to Rich McKay. He left to go to the Cardinals after the Bucs won the Super Bowl in 2003.

He was with the Cardinals for three seasons and was a contributor towards building that NFC Championship team.

He is obviously heavily involved in the cap aspect of things now with Seattle but with his background I'm sure he sees how things are being ran over there right now with the Seahawks.

Every team he has been with has found some form of success under his watch and he comes from a football based family. That is encouraging as well because you know he has learned from his father who was fairly successful as well in the NFL.

I just don't like it when people look at somones current position and label them just as that, when clearly he has more experience than just being the "cap guy". A lot of things I'm reading online has him being highly regarded around the league as well, so that is a huge plus for me too.

18. ArmandJ

How are we going to be left with scraps? You're using SOJ mentality for no reason...no reason at all.

We're not interviewing everyone in the NFL. We're interviewing those we feel would be a good candidate for the GM position of the New York Jets.

19. IIMeanDeanII

You pay someone 200,000 to be accurate and extensive in their search. They are good at weeding out the good from the bad, then picking the best fit from the good pool.

I would be more concerned if they just jumped on the first couple guys they got into the building.

I think you should just admit you are impatient and you want to know who our GM is going to be and because of this you are simply being bitter and letting the Negative Nancy in you get the best of you.

20. laxin

laxin Active Member

He does seem like a very well qualified and respected guy. I just don't know if he's what we need. What this team has lacked is a GM that understands football and can spot and evaluate talent at the college and NFL level. From what I know, positions that are based around that are Director of Pro Personnel, Director of College Scouting, ect. Idzik's history doesnt seem to revolve around that aspect.

He may actually be exactly what we need though. Who knows anymore..