Scott Cohen... Gaining Support.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by laxin, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Exactly... a lot of us have seen this story written before. With Woody holding the strings and Rex being his guy this team will settle for a GM that will do things the way Rex and Woody want.

If they hire Cohen it will show that the article about Tanny may not have been that far off with other guys around the league sticking up for Tanny saying he was overruled on many decisions. You can't blame Rex for wanting his guys and wanting to do it his way however there is a pecking order but when the boss overrules the GM to side with the coach it creates instability and that is exactly what we have with this franchise.

2. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I have never said the Jets job does not have any pitfalls that could make other jobs more attractive. what I have said is nobody knows how any regarded GM candidate feels about the elements in place, such as Rex, to whine about it being less attractive because of Rex.

3. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I will give you the benefit of the doubt and conclude you've never heard of GM's saying they want to hire the HC themselves.

Of course that has been a very difficult conclusion to come to, but I am feeling generous today.

4. JetBlue

and I will give you the benefit of the doubt of many scenarios in which GM's have been hired and kept the HC.

I am not feeling generous and your argument would lead you to have to assert that if the Patriots of 49er's were suddenly in need of a GM that no competent candidate would do so because they are stuck with Belichick and Harbaugh. your position is absolute and ignores the reality that if a GM candidate believes the existing HC in place should be kept, then having an existing HC does not decrease the attractiveness of the job.

so to even attempt to dispute my position, you have to either state you agree with the completely dumb fuck scenario above, which is what you have stated, or show some evidence that no GM candidate that is any good believes Rex is not the man they want to work with.

what will be it -- defend a completely stupid argument or admit you don't have the faintest clue about what any GM candidate thinks about Rex?

5. Big Blocker

Where did I say the GM always wants to hire the HC???

And you want to compare Belichik and Harbaugh to an HC whose team has lost 13 of their last 19 games???

As for your fake binary choice, the third alternative is that the list of GM candidates includes at least one who would be a good choice who thinks Ryan has done a questionable job at best. You want to make a completely stupid argument that YOU KNOW there is no such person?

6. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

Placing Scott Cohen into the GM spot is the same as rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic (I am a Cowboys fan so I am an expert on rearranging chairs on a sinking ship) .

If Scott does get the job then the #1 concern was making sure the new GM got along with Rex.

7. laxin

laxin Active Member

That should always be the #1 indicator when hiring a GM :up:

Smh

At least you can understand haha.

8. NJJets20

NJJets20 Active Member

Cohen being hired as the Jets GM would leave me with absolutely no faith in this organization. PLEASE WOODY DONT! Hire Gamble already. I'm sick of checking for updates constantly with the fear in my heart that Cohen will be hired.

9. JetBlue

"I will give you the benefit of the doubt and conclude you've never heard of GM's saying they want to hire the HC themselves."

that isn't a statement with any qualification and is pretty absolute on the conditions that GM's want to work under. I have stated numerous times why GM's want to fire existing head coaches, so either your above statement is irrelevant because it doesn't dispute my argument or is taking the absolute scenario I have described. which is it?

I certainly am not. but if the argument is absolute (and if you are not making it, keep in mind some people have made it), it doesn't matter who the head coach is. that is why the absolute argument that is being made is ridiculous.

I have never taken a position that requires me to make such a stupid argument because I have already conceded that GM's certainly want to hire a new coach when they feel the existing coach is not capable of getting the job done or whose philosophy is not in line with their philosophy. but since I have never stated that every GM would want to keep Rex I nothing I have stated is in conflict with your third option.

your argument, on the other hand, is dependent on the idea that candidates will be turned off by the Jets because of Rex, and thus have to either show that those candidates do not like Rex or adhere to the ridiculous absolute I have described.

10. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Inspired by a comment in another thread by thecoolerglennfoley who said something along the lines of "this is probably what niners fans thought when trent baalke got hired after the worst spell in niners history" I went to my fave niners forum 49erswebzone and found this editorial piece which was written after trent baalke went on to have great success as the niners new GM.

read it and think - then bitch and moan about someone we know nothing about.

11. Big Blocker

You are being obstinate and obtuse. The first statement I made quoted above was a question whether you have heard of GM's saying they wanted to hire HC's. I did not say EVERY GM wants to hire their own HC. Why would I say that? It is obviously incorrect. You to the contrary have been spewing the nonsense that no GM candidate could possibly not want to come to the Jets because Woody is retaining Ryan. but then there's this:

"I have already conceded that GM's certainly want to hire a new coach when they feel the existing coach is not capable of getting the job done or whose philosophy is not in line with their philosophy."

I must have missed you saying that. Before. Did you? I have seen you several times make the argument that no GM candidate is going to be turned off by Woody's determination to keep Ryan.

So let's move on here and assume that it is now your position that Ryan might in fact want to hire someone other than Ryan. So is it not a problem in the GM search that Woody is retaining Ryan, and any new GM cannot pick their own HC? You seem to acknowledge that given Ryan's record, someone might in fact have such a concern. Concern enough to not take or even interview for hte job? It makes sense to me.

Perhaps you in fact agree with me.

12. Under certain circumstances I could buy this whole notion of widespread panic concerning GM candidates manadated to keep Rex Ryan.

That said.. What GM candidate knocks your socks off? Who is out there that is the obvious answer to what ails this team?

I'll go even further...what candidate out there is a better GM than Rex is a Head coach?

Why take a step back at HC to fill a GM spot with a limited talent pool? It just seems counterproductive to me under the circumstances

13. Big Blocker

I don't pretend to know who the best candidates are. My concern is more conceptual and logical, that Ryan has performed so poorly that it made no sense to limit the list of people who might take the position to only those who think Ryan should be retained. I say that even being open minded to the slight possibility that Ryan might do the job going forward. But since I don't think he is essential to going forward, and has not earned the right to stay, limiting that list makes no sense.

14. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

This is eerily reminiscient of the "Mark Sanchez vs. Drew Brees" and "Mark Sanchez vs. Eli Manning" debates that went back and forth last year. Right down to the posting of an old article.

The fact of the matter is that it's a crapshoot no matter who you slice it.

15. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

He is being fitted for his knee pads right now.

16. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

You can start with the guy we just fired. Mike T actually built a team that Rex inherited that was able to go to 2 AFC finals before Rex had any real input.

17. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

Good point. Tanny did build a very good team with Mangini. it only took WRECKS two years to dismantle those top notch teams and get Tanny fired. It is Wrecks calling the shots and he is in over his head!

18. cval

cval Well-Known Member

That is pure crap and you know it but type it anyway. Tanny mortgaged the future 2010 putting us were we are the last years and next year. Hey Rex coach this shitty team because we have no more money for players. What about Plax i think he is getting out of jail and Mason I am sure he has something left.

Sure if Sanchez turned into a Manning he would be a Genius and we could survive with the lack of talent on offense. Unfortunately his strategy ruined Sanchez and put us in cap hell but we did almost get to the superbowl in 2010.

19. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

I'm going to say something here, and the sooner I get it out there, the better off I'll be:

Scott Cohen wouldn't be my first choice; I'd prefer someone from outside with a fresh set of eyes. But I don't hate the idea.

There. I said it and I'm glad.

20. Fatman&Robin

Fatman&Robin Member

You don't care. But Woody does. Say bye bye to more PSLs Woodrow.