Scott Cohen... Gaining Support.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by laxin, Jan 8, 2013.

1. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

On the Plus side, with Rex getting so much of this while there's no GM, if the team falls flat on it's face it's all on him with no questions asked.

2. Viffer98

Viffer98 Member

One who has the confidence in his abilities to turn this mess around. Look, we're in the biggest media market in the world. Turn this thing around and you will be the superstar of the NFL front offices and will basically be able to write your own ticket.

3. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Ajax exactly :up: Fans want change and for the better not just change for the sake of change ? We do not want more of the same we want / need a breath of fresh air .

Hey kid here's the thing about that statue,,,,the guys that are most competent and being offered jobs by several teams are running from the opportunity ,,,,,,,if we do get lucky and hit a HR with the GM it looks like it is going to be a guy that NO OTHER team has shown an interest in :sad:
    Or worse yet our new GM most likely is being promoted from within, something many of us including myself have feared from day 1 of the firing .
    Ps this mess will include talks of Vick in a few months I am pretty sure of that now,,,but I stray

4. AlToon

AlToon Member

Woody wipes his ass with $200K. Woody needs to hire a headhunter to find the next GM. He can't identify the top candidates? Look at the top teams. Woody doesn't have friends within the NFL who can help him?

5. Brunell's Debt

Brunell's Debt New Member

I'm fairly certain that you don't know what the word "speculation" means.

6. 1968jetsfan

In a league where parity is the rule, you don't have a big market/small market advantage on talent. The only thing you get in a big market is your ass fired a whole lot faster if you don't turn things around quickly. And your moving in to a division dominated by the Patriots and if that's not bad enough your living in the shadow of, and being compared to, the "Real" New York team, the Giants.

Throw in to the Mix a GM telling you that you can't have the Head coach you want. You have no input on the coaching staff or the offensivie and defensive strategy of the team. And you have a Head Coach which has the owners ear and will play a major role, despite reports, of players selected in the draft. And have your fate decided basically by a Head Coach who really holds all the cards?

OR you can go to a team like Jacksonville or San Diego, get a lower profile, get just as big of a paycheck. Make a name for yourself by molding the team from the HC to players and write your own ticket.

7. 1968jetsfan

In other words, if you really believe in yourself and your abilities do you want to tie your fate to a Owner chosen Head Coach, or go somewhere that the Owner says "do what you need to do to make us a winner".

8. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

That's what he hired Jed Hughes to do. Apparently it's taking Hughes a lot longer than expected and some of our candidates are being scooped up. Regarding friends in the NFL, Woody has none. He's not your typical football obsessed owner like a Jones, Snyder or Kraft.

9. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say it's taking any longer. At this point I would imagine they would have a much lesser role. They gave them the group of a few very highly touted candidates and scheduled the interviews. A lot of these guys had their first interview pretty early in the process. Now it's on Woody and whoever else to close the deal.

10. jetiron

jetiron New Member

Didn't u see the press conference. Rex is Woody's confidant in all matters relating to the Jets. Woody is filthy rich from his pedigree, he doesn't need to work, think or doing anything annoying, he just defers to whom he believes is sophisticated, smart and brilliant which in his mind is still Rex. Rex is the Jets period - GM, Coach, Advisor to Woody etc... Rex is running the show for Woody and whether results are good or bad, doesn't matter, as long as Woody is owner, Rex is running the Jets - to the ground even...but he is Woody's man. I have to say, Rex is brilliant at the thing that matters the most to his longevity as a coach and pocket book, playing his clueless owner Woody like a fiddle.

11. JetsNation06

They've already missed on Caldwell who from all reports was one of, if not their top candidates so that's one example. The Jets stated that the GM search was being conducted by Korn Ferry so it's on Jed Hughes to get this thing closed not Woody. The fact that they're now talking about hiring Cohen who would be an absolutely atrocious hire means that they're taking too long and the pool continues to dwindle.

12. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

That's not how head hunting firms work. They gather the best available candidates and set up the interviews. The actual search part is being done by Korn Ferry. But the actual hiring is on Woody.

13. JetsNation06

Most executive search firms do more than just find candidates and schedule interviews. They also provide the owner (Woody) with feedback on why they feel that candidate is the best for the job. So they actually do have input into the hiring of their candidate. Bottom line is they've already missed out on one and the clock is ticking on the other top guys. Selecting Cohen would be an abject failure.

14. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I always disagree with my boss.That's why I'm not his #2 man. Of course, all Cohen ever did while learning the ropes under Tannenbaum was be a gofer, make travel arraingements, get Rex to the tattoo parlor on time, check YouTube for unauthorized vids, etc. You try to make it sound like all Cohen did was collect a check and call it a week. #1's usually do all the legwork and implement their bosses' wishes. They are middle management so no way do I give Cohen a pass on the Tannenbaum Era as if MT operated in a vacuum.

#174 Cman68, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  15. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I'd bet decent money that second interview went something like that. I have a feeling it all came down to Rex's status. Nobody wants to be GM in name only.

16. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Good analysis. JetBlue and others won't like it, but it is clear Woody is doing things that make the GM job even less attractive than it would in any case be.

17. TheBlairThomasFumble

TheBlairThomasFumble Active Member

This made me lol, because it's so true. :lol:

18. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

Cohen, even if qualified, will be ripped by fans. It seems like a no win for the organization.

19. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I am not concerned about what the sensational and dishonest media or the hysteric, irrational and idiotic fans think who believe the sensationalistic and dishonest media's agenda to purport the Jets as a laughingstock think.

20. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Maybe not a specific move that he was involved in but when you look at his role within the organization previous to this you can see he either did his job poorly or didn't do his job at all.

This is directly from his bio with the Jets...

A primary focus on player personel, in addition to overseeing the player personel department he prepares advance reports for the coaches, evaluates the top college players for the upcoming draftand develops a plan for FA.