Ian O'Connor: "Weak Woody bamboozled by Rex"

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by klecko73, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

It is ridiculous that homers like you cannot see the real issue here. The question is not what else could Ryan have said. The question is whether the situation and what they say about it makes any sense. It doesn't.

You defend the situation by saying such misleading things as Rex has only had one losing season. You ignore the trend, which is awful and totally negative. The Jets record is in a downward spiral.

Meanwhile by his own words he admits he failed to develop an understanding of what it takes as HC to field a good O. So why do you think he has learned to do so at this point?

You ignore that he said he needed a new OC last year, went ahead and hired one, said he was the guy he wanted, and that approach was a miserable failure. Why do you think he will do better this time? There is no good reason to think so. Yet he was retained.

I am not defending Tanny, but it is clear he is the scapegoat, just like Schotty was the scapegoat last year. Woody is showing us he does not believe he needs to take a different approach with the running of this team. He doesn't want to give control of the running of it to someone new. He has given a guarantee to a coach who has admitted he did a bad job, with no basis for concluding he will do better going forward. And Woody defends that by saying his personal view is that Ryan has what it takes.

What is there about Woody, in his history, that shows he is a good judge of what it takes to be a leader? There is nothing.

But go ahead and be angry with the sportswriters. You are in denial, bud.

2. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

What a stupid fucking horseshit article.

3. Big Blocker

You have no complaints? Are satisfied with where the Jets are now?

You miss the point about input. Rex shouldn't have any input. He picked Sparano, and that was an awful decision. He stuck with Sanchez long after anyone else would have gotten rid of him. He admits he doesn't understand how to run the offense, yet Woody is going to give him another chance.

Instead of complaining about others complaining, perhaps you can explain why you are so optimistic about the Jets and where they are right now.

4. Ted

Ted Member

Given the salary cap issues for 2013 the Jets will be hard pressed to have a winning season next year. So this year they hire a new GM and if next season is bad, they hire a new HC. The issue I see is that you eliminate half the GM prospects this year because they can't bring in their own guy, instead they have to work with Rex.

If it's me, given the roster holes and lack of money, I would have fired Rex as well and started over instead of piece milling.

5. cval

cval Well-Known Member

It is never that easy but you are buying into the media crap. The Jets roster was a 2-4 win roster after the injuries. The offensive talent was the worst in the NFL yet we won six games were in the playoff hunt until December and outplayed New England and Houston.

Our defense will be better next year no doubt and there is no way the ofense can be any worse.

Remember this rebuild started in 2011 when we dumped or lost.

1. Woody
    2. LT
    3. Faneca
    4. Edwards
    5. Cotch
    6. Richardson
    7. Jenkins
    8 Leonard

I am sure I forgot a few this year we will dump or lose more

1. Scott
    2. Pace
    3. Thomas
    4. Green
    5. Sanchez?

6. Big Blocker

What an enlightening contribution.

Here's a newbie I certainly hope stays around for a long time. We can probably count on getting this kind of cryptic homeristic defense of Woody and Ryan.

Thanks a bunch.

7. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Ah yes what did Forrest Gump say "stupid is as stupid does" :sad:

8. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

I'm not optimisitc per se, but I don't think things are NEARLY as bad as you and others make them out to be. It all starts with getting a GM who understands our needs and an OC who get our offense to the 21st century. Rex understands his problems, he knows his limitations. Better that than suggesting he has done the right thing all along. It also pretty much shows us that 'ground and pound' was 'let's run the ball because Sanchez will lose us games by throwing it'. Despite what Woody and Rex said in public, they both know that 6-10 or lower, he is gone. I would say 10 wins is a guaranteed extension, or one more year earned.

Woody is hiring a headhunting firm to find the best candidate as GM. I have confidence that we will find him, and things will get back on the right track. We don't need to fire someone like Rex, a successful coach in our relatively unsuccessful history. We need to give him one more chance with a decent QB and a decent OC. If he fails to win with those expectations, he can go as well. It's that simple.

9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Good post BB, I agree with this.

IMO the most disappointing thing of that whole press conference was Woody Johnson. As a Jet fan I would've liked to have seen HIS approach. HIS line of thinking, his plan for rebuilding this franchise..

All we got was his endorsement of Rex Ryan, and the majority of the press conference was another Rex Ryan RA-Ra cheerleading festival. We've seen this. You can't cheerlead your way to the top.

I'm not saying Woody should've left Rex out of the presser, but prior to questioning when it was outside of his control, he should've stepped into the fold and shown that he's the real leader of this franchise. Tell us things are unacceptable. You want to keep Rex? Fine, I may disagree, but at least give me the sense that you are watching him closely and there's a bigger organizational PLAN - outside of Rex Ryan, etc.

Woody gets a lot of flack for supposedly not caring about winning and just wanting the headlines, etc... but here he had a real opportunity to show this isn't the case. To show he's an NFL owner. And all we got is another Rex Ryan dog-and-pony show... It's no wonder he gets these criticisms. I left very disappointed that he doesn't have a plan outside of Rex Ryan and that is NOT good if true.

10. championjets69

Another top of the line candidate for the NYJ licensed MD deprogramming program

11. cval

cval Well-Known Member

#51 cval, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  12. championjets69

So why not drum up a protest in front of Woody's apartment & before doing it alert the media? I bet after that U will see some awfully quick changes in the direction the NYJs will be going especially if it goes viral :sad:

13. championjets69

14. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

LOL! I like your college beer analogy. Rex should have been fired with Tanny-- Rex is nothing more than a cheerleader coach. The only issue the jets need to resolve is this: IS WOODY'S CRUSH ON REX GREATER THAN REX'S CRUSH ON SANCHEZ? Woody Johnson must have inherited his fortune, he is not smart enough to earn it--He is the most clueless owner on the planet paying the most clueless coach on the planet playing the most clueless and least talented QB on the planet. Let's take heart, though--Rex gives us "the best chance to win."

15. Ted

Ted Member

16. namath4ever

namath4ever Member

I don't get the whole "I feel like its the first day on the job" nonsense. It's like, "hey I know I sucked the last 2 years but I'm starting over". Say that on your next job, we don't want to hear that garbage.

Sorry but Cohen is the same old same old, proves Woody is not serious about changing things and wants to continue to build a laughing stock of a team.

17. Big Blocker

Yes, Woody showed that he has no plan, or more accurately faile to reveal that he has a plan, let alone what that plan is. Armand of course thinks things are not that bad, and that a new GM, a new OC and presumably a new starting Qb can put this team back on a winning track. One a simplistic level, I suppose we can say that is a plan.

The problem is how does Woody hope to achieve those objectives? As you point out, the how part essentially amounts to relying on Rex Ryan. And that is a problem. It is one because the new GM will have to be someone who wants to work with Ryan, and presumably anyone who fits that description, who falls into that rapidly deflating category, in effect will be someone who agrees with Armand that a fundamental reworking of this franchise is not necessary.

It is a problem because Ryan will hire the new OC when Ryan has a proven track record of failure in that regard.

It is a problem because Ryan has supported Sanchez as his starting Qb, and to be clear has still not renounced that support, for four years and apparently counting. In other words, Rex does not seem to know how to find and develop a decent starting Qb.

So yes, if those "simple" measures could all be effectively accomplished, there might be reason for optimism. I just don't see how anyone can be optimistic about the process now in place to achieve those objectives.

18. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Can we wait until they actually hire a GM?

Lord knows if we hire Gamble or a 'name' GM, half of you will be saying 'HE'S REX'S PUPPET!!!!!!'

19. namath4ever

namath4ever Member

I'm sorry but the last 2 years have been bad. Lets not forget we collapsed in 2011, that's a BAD year.

20. cval

cval Well-Known Member