Ian O'Connor: "Weak Woody bamboozled by Rex"

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by klecko73, Jan 9, 2013.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Rex or NO Rex, this team might struggle to get more than 3 wins next year.

2013 is a wash either way, but i'd be nice to have it be a wash on the step to improvement. With a coach that will hold his players accountable, that doesn't completely ignore one side of the ball, that doesn't turn this team into a running joke with his antics, that provides the fresh approach that this team desperately needs.....

This article was SPOT ON, especially the parts about Woody Johnson.

Step aside for a minute and pretend this isn't the Jets and Rex Ryan. You have a coach who collasped down the stretch with three straight losses two years in a row, is coming off of a 6-10 season, who's 7-13 in his last 20 games... Fully admits he doesn't know how to establish an identity on offense... Yet he's getting a say in HIS new boss?? A say in HIS new offensive coordinator?

Are you kidding me - if that was any other organization except the Jets we'd be laughing our asses off at the incompetency... when it's OUR team its just sad.

2. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Rex is the head coach. A head coach CHOOSES who he can have as his OC/DC/ST coordinator. I'm surprised most people have forgotten this basic fact.

3. kaboom

kaboom Member

Ian O'Connor is spot on.

In fact after listening to the press conference it has solidified an emerging thought that I've had since late in the season.

Rex Ryan is a cancer for any real NY Jet fan. On one level I actually like Rex. I think that a team could win with Rex if they limited his role to that of defense only and overall team "motivational leader". No say in personnel. Rex would have to be paired up with a strong OC and a good GM that would be in charge of all personnel decisions. However, that limited role for Rex as a Jet head coach is not an option as he remains, "Woody's guy". We as Jet fans can not tolerate this cancer to continue to pervade the organization for years to come.

Thus, the media should be our best friend. Fortunately, Rex is very sloppy and provides a lot of opportunity in quotes and his personal life. Everything should be fair game. To the extent that Rex is crucified on a daily basis by all of the NY media who really count (Rex doesn't have any media backers at the moment) we will eventually be able to get Woody to "see the light". If Woody sees the light and has to get rid of Rex, he will look for a prestigious name (as Woody would like to be friends with a real good NFL coach). Jet fans should start out the 2013 season by piling behind the media and belittle Rex at every possible juncture, in person, on blogs, message boards, WFAN calls, etc.

A movement like this can gain quick traction. The 2013 season will likely not be a winning year even under the best of circumstances.

Invest your energy for the greater good of Gang Green to take back our franchise and get Woody to see the light (as he is somewhat publicity conscious).

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Certainly that's true. But MOST NFL head coaches know a thing or 2 about all three fazes of the game. Rex doesn't and he admits to it. Why should he get to pick his offensive coordinator? Better yet, why should he get to pick HIS boss?

5. jesterjetman

jesterjetman Active Member

Ian O'Connor is resident High Horse Bullshitter of ESPN.

6. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

klecko,

Thanks for posting that article. I agree with most of it, although it was perhaps overkill to say Ryan owns the Jets, but the rest of it...

I love the homers here who complain about the media as if there is no substance whatsoever to what they are saying. Ryan is the one who said he spent the last four years in a failed search for identity on the O, and who in fact just last year this time had been given the chance to rebuild the O, and failed miserably. It was Ryan, not the media, who said Sparano did a great job. It was Woody, not the media, who not only said Tanny did more good than bad, but also failed to say why Ryan should stay and Tanny had to go.

Yeah, blame the media for this fuck fest of illogic. None of it made the least bit of sense. So let's blame the sportswriters.

The homers here are getting desperate.

7. NFL

NFL Active Member

Exactly, unless you have a Brady, or a Rodgers, or a Peyton, you will need talented players around your QB. Kerley was the only player to get more than 400 yards. Add a mediocre running game to that, and you have the 30th ranked defense, IF your lucky.

8. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

How anyone on this board can still be smitten with Rex Ryan is beyond me.
    Was I the only one that felt uneasy watching that press conference?
    Did it not seem like Groundhogs day? Like this was Rex's introductory press conference.
    "I tell you this, you're not gonna want to play the NY JETS", are you fucking kidding me?!!!
    He still comes out with this bullshit and some are still buying it. HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?!

I swear, I don't understand how we as JETS fans are not organizing a protest against this crap we are being sold.
    A friend of mine was sticking up for Rex yesterday saying, " yeah, he hasn't done what he was supposed to do but at least he admits it".
    WHAT!?
    This is the most disgusted I've been as a JETS fan.
    My buddy tells me, " you don't like it then don't watch them".
    If only it was that easy.

9. Big Blocker

junc is still whining about Jet fans not agreeing with him?

What a loser.

10. ArmandJ

Of COURSE Woody said Tanny did more good than bad. You honestly think he was going to stand up there and say 'Tanenbaum fucked up our cap, gave us a fucking scrub as QB, and have fucking old ass linebackers paid far too much'? Seriously? When people in the NFL get fired, more often than not, they aren't completely thrown under the bus.

You seem like a smart guy. Actions speak louder than words. If they really did a great job, they would still be there.

11. NFL

NFL Active Member

If we manage to keep Landry, Bell, Keller (healthy), and Braylon and (each at 100%), we'll be in the running for the playoffs.

12. Big Blocker

At this point it is kind of like hearing what the doctors are saying about a friend's apparently fatal illness. The whole situation is awful, but you do want to hear what the doctor says.

13. ArmandJ

He is not picking his bosses. He has INPUT in the final phase of the project. Two completely different things. Did you actually listen to/see the press conference or are you just reading what the media says?

Is this place REALLY that bad during the offseason? There are some posters who complain just to complain, it feels like.

14. Big Blocker

"It's all the media's fault!

"And the Jet fans who disagree with me!"

15. NFL

NFL Active Member

He's not picking his boss, he's helping. Would you want to work with someone who you don't get along with? Do you think that you'll have successful offseasons like that?

16. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Desperate? Nah, I'm just stressing what I see personally.

What else is Rex supposed to say in that presser man? He is being humble, he is only saying these things to appease those that only want him to admit his faults. So, he does, he is humble, but it's still not good enough for those that hate, Rex.

Is he supposed to completely throw MT and Sparono under the bus and ridicule them for a poor product? No, that's not professional.

To say Tanny didn't do anything good for this team would be moronic, he did a lot of good things for this team but his fault was allowing the roster (primarily on offense) to dwindle down to nothing. He never kept the depth of this team in good shape either, which is why he got fired.

Rex has proven that he can coach his players up to the big games, given the talent is at least servicable. It hasn't been.

Rex has one losing season in four years. One, I think all the good should outweigh the one bad season to date.

Rex saying that he wants an offense that can attack you, that is going to be unpredictable is a step in the right direction. To say he had the chance to change the make-up of the offense last year is a bit unfair considering the only change in coaching was OC and WR coach, then you take into consideration that those coaches and their views were severally hindered due to injuries and lack of depth, I don't see how you can truly blame Rex for that.

#36 IIMeanDeanII, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  17. ArmandJ

Where the hell did I say that? We fired the people we needed to fire. Sparano: gone. Cavanaugh: gone. S&C coach: gone. Tannenbaum: Gone. There is accountability. Why should we fire Rex?

Given what he has done his first two years, why should Rex be fired? He has had two bad years. Why not give him one more year to right this ship. If he doesn't, then he can go.

Is it so hard for people to be rational instead of jumping ship and making up conspiracy theories?

18. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

be careful w/ that poster, he's not stable mentally.

19. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

what a really terrible article (IMO) - "Ryan is working in the same division as Tom Brady, in the same conference as Peyton Manning, and he still has no idea how to develop a quarterback or a game plan that consistently puts points on the board?"

you cant just develop a quarterback in the same league as Manning or Brady, they are once in a blue moon players - you have to basically get lucky that when you roll the dice on a franchise QB he is as good as everyone hopes he can be. nor can you come up with a gameplan that achieves the same - otherwise everyone would be - and what kind of coach is equally adept at both sides of the ball? Isnt that why they have O and D co-ordinators?

if the Jets had a half decent QB we wouldnt be having to put up with any of this hand wringing or self-flagellation.

20. NFL

NFL Active Member

It really does feel like it. This team, according to people on here, can't do anything right.