JARVIS JONES or MANTI TE'O, the only Defensive choices in Rd 1

Discussion in 'Draft' started by WW85, Nov 5, 2012.

1. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

If KC can't trade down I can see them taking Joeckel or Te'o with the #1 pick.

The people who helped their stock was the O-line of Alabama, if Warmack wasn't already an easy first round pick he may have paved his way in to being one of the very rare guards that make the top 10, that happens like once every 10 years or so. Fluker, if he declares, has I think pretty clearly moved himself safely in to the first round. Jones also moved himself up, he was already the top rated center but that performance yesterday while injured probably moved him to the middle of the first round if a team needs a center in that range, he may have even moved ahead of cooper as a guard option. But I may be abit excessive on that.

2. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I highly doubt he gets drafted as a center in the NFL, he is much more suites at guard. IMO.

I have watched Alabama all year because of that line in particular and I felt like those main three would be high selections in this years draft, and rightfully so, I would be thrilled if we managed to get two out of three of those guys because any one of them would help our team out instantly.

3. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

you miss my point. None of these teams would be leaders in the SEC, middle of the pack maybe. He played against a team full of players way over his skill set. He looked afraid of lacy. The whole team did. Would Teo be so great in the SEC? Doesn't look like it. He is definitely not the 9 th pick in the draft. Someone spoke of him not showing emotion, I didn't see it either. Someone said to take Ngata away from Ray Ray, well it might hurt him in his later years. When he was at his greatest he had sirigusa....whoopee. Teo winning the heisman was a joke of an idea. He wasn't deserving and the Tide proved him or anyone on his Defense as difference makers.

4. 1968jetsfan

the SEC is quickly becoming the dominate conference. to use a baseball analogy the SEC is quickly becoming the college equivalant of baseballs AAA.

5. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

we need to start drafting players from that conference

I'd draft 2-3 SEC players a year and at least 1 Alabama player a year. They know how to play and play our style of football. Not that wide open Pac-12 shit, smash mouth, hard nosed, Super Bowl football

6. 1968jetsfan

You know, and this is off topic for the thread title but it's not worth its' own thread right now, Luke Joeckel is still debating on whether or not to enter the draft. If he doesn't then the two top tackles projected this year between Joeckel and Matthews would be out, and that really would only leave 1 top 10 worthy OT on the board in Lewan. And would make an already weak upper draft even weaker.

7. 1968jetsfan

that said, I don't know how Joeckle won't go pro as a projected possible #1 pick this year and probably behind a couple of QB's in the 2014 draft.

8. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

I like Kevin Minter as a choice in the 2nd Round as well... Select Chance Warmack in the first round. And if Lacy is around in the 3rd.. That right there would be a great draft

9. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

why would we pick an ILB

10. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

We are a hybrid Defense right now and if we switch to 4-3 move Davis to Outside LB. Harris and Minter split duties are ILB... McIntyre on the other Side

11. GoldenShowers

GoldenShowers Well-Known Member

I understand the entire front got blown up. My point still stands.

You do NOT draft an ILB with his skill set at number 9. The value isn't there. This is not the next Ray Lewis who while Haloti Ngata was in middle school was a pro bowl sideline to sideline MLB in a 4-3 with incredible speed and athleticism.

Late first round? Yes. Not at number 9.

12. dannymac910

dannymac910 Member

T'eo shouldn't even go 1st round. Garbage.

13. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

This is spot on.

An ILB has little value in the top 10.

In the past 5 years, the only ILBs I can remember going in the top 10 were Mayo, McClain and Kuechly. With so many holes, T'eo would not be a wise pick at #9.

14. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

I'm gonna assume the only time you watched him play was last night.

15. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Te'o had his hands full last night.

16. laxin

laxin Active Member

Or empty...

17. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

I'm a Teo fan, but he's also had the benefit of having a guy like Louis Nix up front keeping some blockers off him.

I'd take him at #9 but not over a guy like Lewan.

18. Laszlo Kovacs

Laszlo Kovacs Active Member

I'm jumping on the "don't draft Te'o in the first round"-bandwagon after last nights game. Every player have bad games once in a while, but Te'o was far behind the bell curve for how elite prospects are performing in big games.

Now Steelers are obviously going to pick him and turn him into a Pro Bowler, but that's just the way it is...

19. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

You're either a troll or don't have a clue...I think it's both.

80 posts and 4 infractions/warnings and bans.

20. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

What offensive players are coming out that are equally worth top picks to Jones / T'eo / Werner / Lotulelei / Moore?