Tim Tebow could have helped win more games for Jets, says Mike DeVito

Discussion in 'Tebowmania' started by CowboysFan, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Slap

Slap New Member

Nice summary, but it was Marion Barber who was the goat of the Chicago game. We couldn't believe our eyes when he ran out of bounds.

2. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Brain cramp on my part. Fixed it. Thanks

3. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

You are describing NFL games, its only because tebow is QB that you have to parse it and explain it away.

Losing teams have turn overs and miss field goals EVERY WEEK

#43 CowboysFan, Jan 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  4. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

re read post, I was responding to a Dolphins fan fool.

5. Joe Willie White Shoes

No. I described games because you and your fellow Tebots always credit Tebow and Tebow alone with those 7 wins last year. It doesn't take much parsing or much of a memory to point out that Tebow was not the reason the Broncos won most of those games. It was the defense or special teams or, more often then not, the opponent that was the key to 5 of the 7 wins. In most of those wins, Tebow was along for the ride or was awful (less than 10 completions in. 60 minutes of NFL football is poor). Tebow was a story perpetuated by the media last year . He was not good, which is why Elway replaced him and few teams wanted him and the Jets wanted him as a gimmick

6. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

You do not know what you are talking about. No one here credits tebow solely with the wins... that's a T-hater made up argument that has never existed.

Only skip bayless does that and of course you assign it to all tebow fans. You will not find one post by a tebow fan that says that, you will find 1000 post by Tebow haters who bring it up though.

7. GoldenShowers

GoldenShowers Well-Known Member

So Mike Devito, a 3rd year DT from Maine and devout Christian who was excited by the Tebow acquisition simply for that commonality, knows about how to run an offense.

No one wants this kid bc he is TERRIBLE. Stfu already.

8. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

actually,you are the one with the reading comprehension problem,fool. I already addressed that shit

9. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

Hmmmm, let's see what future Hall of Famer Champ Bailey had to say on the issue:

This was after the Chicago game, which was Tebow and the Broncho's 7th victory in 8 games.

Appears to me that Champ is clearly giving Tebow a a lot of the credit.

10. Joe Willie White Shoes

So we are back to the mystical rationale for the wins.

11. JET'S_my_name

JET'S_my_name Banned

May be inconsequential, but while he was running for the edge he was knocked out of bounds by #55.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d824f4e6a/Barber-s-big-mistake

12. Concerned_Citizen

Concerned_Citizen New Member

That is all well and good that Champ Bailey and some others liked what Tebow brought to the team. People genuinely love the guy, love what he's about, love his work ethic, etc.

But Elway's and Fox's opinions are the ones that mattered, and they decided the Broncos would be better off with Tebow on another team. They didn't even want him as a backup or a package gimmick player and traded him off to a team for a half eaten ham sandwich.

the team that got him doesn't look like they want him either.

So while you can hang your hat on a few good nice comments from former team members, the general consensus around the NFL is that his upside just isn't good enough to override his obvious flaws or the headaches/disruptions that seem to follow him wherever he goes.

13. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Not really. Nate Kaeding is 0-5 on FG against the Jets in the playoffs. In the Jets first playoff run under sanhcez and rex, the first two games opponents missed 5 field goals total I believe. On top of that we got Peyton Manning for one half only which helped tremendously. That's why the second run brought more optimism, because it seemed to be more on execution and good play than fluke bounces and luck breaking our way regarding seeding. That's why people are skeptical of the wins Broncos had under Tebow, the ball doesn't bounce that way for someone's whole career.

A player doesn't run out of bounds when they shouldn't every week. A defense doesn't force and recover multiple fumbles in OT often. (Fumbles statistically are recovered by the offense at 51% rate I believe over a season). The way the games were won were not confidence inspiring. The way the losses were received were confidence bashers under him.

From: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8812122/bill-barnwell-sunday-slate-nfl-playoff-games

Bold is my own addition to the text from:
    http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8795480/bill-barnwell-becoming-playoff-team-rest-week-17-news

So basically my argument as it has always been, but now with someone who actually looks at this stuff professionally and looked at it decides, what Tebow did is basically unsustainable. It can happen (as Sanchez and the Jets did in 2010-2011) but unless you are elite, you come back to earth after a season. Is Tebow an elite QB? Well nothing has shown that to be the case so I would venture a no there.

14. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

wow..where do I even start? Ok you know what does not happen every week? A QB throwing 18/24 for 191 yds and a TD in 7 minutes of play. All the fumbles and going out of bounds are not even needed if Thomas catches the 50 yard bomb that went through his hands anyway...its amazing the hoops that are jumped through to make sure Tebow gets ZERO credit.

#54 CowboysFan, Jan 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  15. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

See the funny thing is, I never mentioned credit once in my who post, you brought it up. I just said some things you act that happen every week in the NFL, actually don't. And ironically enough, drops do happen every week and we have seen Thomas has a penchant for it and even loves to fumble with nobody near him.

I then showed another writer, in a non Tebow related football post, bring up winning 1 possession games at a high rate is no sustainable season to season, again not giving or taking credit anywhere. I then wrapped up by restating that I don't think what happened 2 seasons ago now is sustainable, that's my problem. I never once assigned or took away credit, so what exactly did you read?

I also pointed to the point differential article because I found it interesting. It showed that winning with a negative point differential is not a successful strategy in the playoffs.

Those are the main reason why people remain skeptical, because statistics show that winning that way doesn't work in the long run.

Again, I didn't mention credit, you brought up and argued what you thought I wrote and quote which didn't mention credit to Tebow at all.

As I have said before in this forum, Tebow should credit for executing late in games and leading his teams on big drives, but credit should not be missed on the defense for holding the games close or ST for making a key play here or there. I hold this same position when talking about Peyton Manning and his SB run (defense was a huge part getting injured plyers back) and I talk about with Eli, Big Ben, and Brady too. I don't give them all the credit, I don't give Tebow all the credit. For teams to be successful, you need a balance from all 3 units and the way the Broncos were balanced under Tebow, again, has been shown to not be a sustainable way to win from season to season.

But, to end on a positive note for you, winning in the playoffs is harder than it looks and to that I give Tebow credit. I bet Sanchez and Tebow both sat and watched WC weekend and said, "yeah see guys, it's harder than it looks to get a win in the playoffs". :beer:

16. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

You are right, My bad, I am punch drunk on this thread :drunk:.....the credit issue is always coming up...