What QB's will be in the 2014 NFL draft??

Discussion in 'Draft' started by AJW, Jan 6, 2013.

1. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

I don't watch college football all that much. Since the QB's in this years draft are nothing to get excited about what QB's do you see that may be worth looking at in next years draft?

2. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

Teddy Bridgewater and Johnny Manziel are all that matter right now

3. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

If Washington QB Keith Price could get his head straight, he could be a very tempting choice. He seemed to take a step back this year after he had a great sophomore season. Hopefully he doesn't declare, because he could ready help himself out with a better year as a senior. It's hard to blame the regression on him with how incredibly bad that o line was.

4. Matty Jets

Matty Jets Well-Known Member

We'll have to finish in the bottom three to get either Manziel or Bridgewater at this rate. And looking at our roster, it's a definite possibility.

5. Flyboy

Flyboy Active Member

Out of curiosity, who do you think will be better?

6. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

I'm a different poster but I feel Bridgewater....the height is the selling point for me. Manziel has some great athleticism but what good will it do when freakish athletes have their hands up in the air to deflect passes and could also blind Manziel's vision. Its a big problem with Sanchez....lack of ideal height. Yeah Brees and Wilson make it work but its not the norm honestly.

6'3 is an decent size which is what Bridgewater is. I view him as a prime Daunte Culpepper who was a borderline top 5 QB in his heyday.

7. Flyboy

Flyboy Active Member

Hmm. If size is an issue, then why not Glennon? If you ask me he seems like he would be a good sized NFL QB. Does he have the basic intangibles to be an efficient passer?

#7 Flyboy, Jan 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I don't think Manziel is in 2014. I think he's going in 2015. I expect Bridgewater in 2014 though.

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The height is a really big deal but even 6'3" is not big any more.

Manziel is short at 6'1" but he has excellent athleticism going for him and a knack for eluding the rush and would-be tacklers. He also has two more college seasons to hone the passing game. He already has a fast release but he throws a lot of wobblers, suggesting that his grip and/or release point could use some work. He has time to work on that.

10. cromartiecove31

cromartiecove31 New Member

I think Johnny Manziel is going to be exactly like Russell Wilson, but he is more dynamic and is two inches taller. Teddy Bridgewater is an elite pure pocket passer. I like Teddy Bridgewater, because he is more polished as a passer, but needs to use his legs and be more dynamic like RG3. Manziel has a very underrated arm, but a lot of his excellent throws are on roll outs and on the run, that's not a bad thing at all, but I want him to improve as a pocket passer, and if he does then I like Manziel, but if Teddy Bridgewater can improve his mobility as much as Manziel with his pocket passing, then I would go with Bridgewater, because he is an extraordinary pocket passer (strong arm and very accurate) but they are pretty interchangeable, I have Bridgewater rated as the #2 player on my 2014 board and Manziel as my #3

11. cromartiecove31

I don't think height is gonna be a factor that much anymore because he can freaking ball. But if you think Manziel stays 2 years, your nuts, he will compete for a national title next year and will be a redshirt sophomore (eligible). He could win the Heisman again too, he has nothing left to prove after that.
    Watch tape of his arm, he is accurate and throws a good ball, even though it doesn't look like it, he is a good thrower

12. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

See I don't understand why people say a QB has to run. Yes run to a certain point like Joe Montana, John Elway, Tom Brady and Eli Manning. QB's that run way too much don't have a very long career. It started with Randall Cunningham and then Mike Vick. I guarantee you Luck will have a longer career than RGIII. I don't want the Jets to draft a QB that runs a lot. I want a big guy that had a quick release and is purely a pocket passer. Yes I would want a QB that can run when it is the last resort.

13. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

Bryn Renner of North Carolina.

14. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

aaron murray

15. cromartiecove31

He doesn't have to run, and the thing with Manziel is he rarely gets sacked, and can evade pressure relatively easy. He also never takes hits, Manziel is one of the hardest guys to tackle I have ever seen, I have never seen someone get a good shot on him because he has amazing change of direction. I want to see him develop into a pocket passer too, and I think he will next year, and he will shock the hell out of everyone, but his added element of being able to run makes him that much harder to defend

16. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

I'm starting to get on the Manziel bandwagon especially with hearing that he has huge hands and feet and may still be growing. If he comes into the combine at 6'2 215 in 2014 or 2015 then he's our guy

17. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

I think Bridgewater is more polished but Manziel is a freak. If I had to pick one one based on upside I'd take Manziel, but I think Bridgewater is more of a sure thing.

Glennon is the only guy, other than maybe Nassib that I'd take this year, and that's with a 2nd round pick.

18. cromartiecove31

I don't think any quarterback in this draft is a difference maker, and maybe one or two will actually pan out (don't know who) but I don't think it is going to be Glennon, Nassib maybe but not Glennon

19. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

I am a huge Bridgewater fan after seeing him destroy Florida

20. The GM

The GM New Member

Definitely will be available:
    QB Logan Thomas, VT (Thomas could benefit the most if Manziel and Bridgewater return to school, leaving him as the Cam Newton of the class when Andrew Luck returned to school and Newton shot up from raw talent to #1 overall phenom. Thomas has very similar athletic tools and identical size, so if he has a big senior year he could lock himself into the Top 5).

QB Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M (this is a very early gut call obviously, but Manziel will have nothing left to prove after another Heisman-worthy season and possibly a national title. With Russell Wilson's success, as well as RG3s and Kaepernicks [to a lesser extent], people will view Manziel who is 3 inches taller than Wilson as a definite franchise QB. This view could only go away in time as the NFL view on QBs could change if RW/RG3 have a down year/get hurt again, or if he has a bad year as a redshirt junior with Jake Matthews not protecting his blindside and some talent gone).

On the fence:
    QB Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville (I think he's the best QB in the nation, but a down junior year could lead Bridgewater to stay and try to lock in the #1 pick for the 2015 draft with Clowney, Manziel, and Thomas all gone in the 2014 draft. He could also declare if he has another strong year because he would rightfully be the #1 overall pick based on talent and need by the team with the #1 pick).

I hope Bridgewater learns from the former #1 potential pick from Louisville Brian Brohm and declares if he has a strong junior year. Brohm was thought to be the best QB prospect in the nation for the 2007 NFL Draft, but returned for his senior season as the odds-on favorite to be the #1 pick and had a clunker of a year. He then was drafted in the mid-rounds and is now serving you late night food at McDonalds' drive thru window.

I also want Bridgewater to declare and fall to pick #4 or so, thus giving us a chance of trading up for him. If a team with a young QB has the #1 overall pick they will likely take Clowney, and Manziel could be the first QB taken depending on the scheme fit (Chiefs running a spread attack, perhaps). Then you've got Jake Matthews as the premier LT, and someone could fall in love with Logan Thomas. This doesn't bring Marqise Lee into the equation either although I think he falls off like Robert Woods did this year, but CJ Moseley could be a high consideration, as well as 3-4 OLB Anthony Barr, and OT Cyrus Kouandjio from Alabama could even leapfrog Matthews.

Bridgewater is not like Culpepper for whoever said that, although I loved Daunte. He is much more accurate as a prospect and was fitting lasers into tight windows in his bowl victory. There's not a good comp for him in the NFL currently. He can run but you'd have no idea because he's such a phenomenal pocket passer (high 4.5/low 4.6 40 time) that he rarely takes flight from the pocket. Louisville is a pass-pro offense, so he isn't schemed to move outside of it unless its a designed roll out throw. If he went to a Texas A&M or a spread offense he could have similar numbers to Manziel probably....who knows. At 6'3, he's kind of like RG3 but in the pocket only, which is still great. He can run, which his 40 will show, but he doesn't do it in the game and doesn't have RG3's open field running ability.