Looks like Gamble might be our guy.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jollygreenjet, Jan 5, 2013.

1. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

But..but..but..Rich Cimini says that's not going to happen

2. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

No he isn't. Check his stats chief. Perfectly acceptable stop gap.

3. NotSatoshiNakamoto

he does?

4. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

I should elaborate. I meant that he said we weren't going to have someone in place by Tuesday.

5. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

You guys are cracking me up. Smith showed improvement AFTER HIS FOURTH SEASON. Sanchez just completed his FOURTH season. So there is no ammo. Also Sanchez improved for 3 consecutive seasons before he regressed in his FOURTH SEASON under a new OC and a talent deprived roster riddled with injuries. To say Smith showed improvement and Sanchez has not is idiotic. What are you guys like 12 years old? This is not that hard to understand.

6. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

While smith didn't live up to expectations at first he never drastically regressed like Sanchez...it's not an accurate comparison

7. legler82

Do you guys actually look at the numbers? Smith's passer rating went from 74.7 to 57.2 from 2006 to 2007. That's 17.5 points. If that's not a drastic regression, I don't what is. Sanchez went from 78.2 last year to 66.9 this year. I'm no math expert but that's a difference of 11.3. Since 17.5 is greater than 11.3, then in the battle of drastic regressions Smith is our winner.

The truth of the matter is that the more seasoned Smith is a safer option at this point in time. But you and others like you have no case to make that Smith was better than Sanchez at the same point of their careers or that Sanchez can't not turn it around as Smith has after his 4th season.

8. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Gamble looks like a decent choice.

I do find it funny though that some on here are pounding their chest because the Jets got a great potential GM who was willing to keep Rex.

First, the guy has been waiting so long to be a GM that he probably would have taken whatever they offered for the job. There was no guarantee he was a top choice for any other team. He might have been the top choice for Woody BECAUSE he is willing to work with Rex.

Also, while I hope the guy does well for the Jets, those who were "rooting" for him make me laugh. Maybe one in ten folks on this had even heard of this guy before the interviews started.

That said, there is nothing wrong with feeling positive about the move. It doesn't cost anything.

9. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

You're throwing around a bunch of crappy numbers and trying to compare? Who cares? It's like saying a 6-10 team regressed a lot when they went 4-12. They still sucked, what's the difference? Sucking is sucking.

10. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Just my opinion of course, but the fact jim Harbaugh was so willing to demote Smith tells me the guy is NOT going to transform a team's offense.

It's not like Kaepernick has been a phenom since he took over. He has made some nice plays and can run, but they've also had to overcome some bad plays and decisions he made.

I'd bring in a Matt Moore to compete with Sanchez next year while looking to fill some holes in the other offensive skill positions and line, as well as some young LBs.

There isn't a franchise QB in the draft anyway.

11. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Kaepernick had the third highest rating in the NFL last year behind only Manning and Brady (according to ESPNs slightly odd rating system anyway).

12. legler82

That's my whole point. Everyone suddenly forgot that 4 years in Smith was just as "crappy" as Sanchez if not worse.

13. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Smith wasn't as bad as Sanchez.

14. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Exactly right. Good year to build around Sanchez and then see what 2013 will bring

15. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

I've seen him play. Don't need stats. Ok, one year then go get Johnny Manziel. :)

#275 AJW, Jan 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  16. Realistic Jets Fan

and in addition to the obvious advantages of a smaller contract and no loss of draft picks in a trade, Moore is also about a million times better as a quarterback than Alex "SanchezII" Smith

17. Realistic Jets Fan

anyhow

rather than put the cart in front of the horse any more, lets just get past the required Rooney rule interview tomorrow with Ross and get Tom Gamble signed, sealed and introduced to the media jackals on Tuesday

18. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Okay So smith got better after his 4th season.
    Shall I go through the list of 200 or 300 QB's who never got better?

19. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Don't waste you time. Because next season you'll be stuck arguing why Sanchez is different than all those other QB who became great in their 5th season.

20. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

No. He was worse. Far worse. Sanchez accounted for more TDs in 2011 then Smith did in his first 4 season combined. Smith was awful early in his career. Did Sanchez ever have QB ratings in the 40s? And he was benched in both his 5th and 6th season for poor play. In 2009 he lost the starting job to Shaun Hill coming out of training camp. In 2010, after the 49ers got off to a slow start (0-5), Smith was booed at home and the crowd chanted for David Carr(!?) to replace him. Sound familiar????

He was benched again this season by a SB contending team and replaced with a 2nd year QB who had never started a game. Harbaugh realized he needed more a playmaker at QB to win a title.

This is the QB we want to replace Sanchez???? Smith is Sanchez lite, only older. Please.