Looks like Gamble might be our guy.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jollygreenjet, Jan 5, 2013.

1. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

Excellent news about Gamble. If it ends up being him, we really lucked out considering the CAP situation mess left by T and the fact that any new GM would HAVE to keep Rex.

2. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

This is actually a great and very telling fact, another bullet in my ammo against Sanchez, thank you.
    Here is what you have just shown.
    1. It is a fact that Smith has improved during the course of his career while Sanchez has regressed during the course of his.
    2. Smith's 4 worst years are not as bad as Sanchez's last 2.

Thanks, great stats

3. Realistic Jets Fan

Summary

Sanchez SUCKS

Smith SUCKS too

Neither for the Jets

4. Flyboy

Flyboy Active Member

I was going to say something like that, too. I mean, quality control? What quality?

5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

You know your point is a good one when the people that are arguing against you end up giving you ammo while trying to dispute your point. It's such a no brainer. Sanchez got worse. Smith got better.

6. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

How about comparing the weapons Smith had the last few years to what Sanchez had to work with ?

7. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Fine.....Sanchez got worse, Smith got better.

What happened to the talent around both guys on Offense after their first 2 years ??

8. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Smith's worse years are leaps and bounds better than Sanchez's worst. Needless to say, that goes for his best years.

Anyone wanting Sanchez over Smith is crazy.

9. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

you guys are crazy with this whole smith, sanchez debate

smith was put into the best position to succeed and its not even close. he has the best oline in football, a crazy good running game, one of the best TEs in football, and talented WRs. we got nothing. if you take smith before harbaugh he was absolute trashed and there was pressure for him to leave/sit

10. JackTheFootballGuru

JackTheFootballGuru New Member

Leaps and bounds??? in 2007 Smith played 7 games. He completed 48% of his passes for 900 yards, with 2 tds, 4 ints, 6 fumbles. Ironically, the only QB to have a worse passer rating than him was our very own Kellen Clemens.

Smith was terrible too. He has been surrounded by supreme talent, and still hasn't been too good. Putting him on the Jets would really really really worry me, as he could easily have the same year sanchez just had.

11. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Hasn't been too good? Might wanna check his numbers from the past two years. He was two muffed punts away from starting in a Superbowl and unlike Sanchez, his team wasnt winning in spite of him.

12. johnmr718

johnmr718 New Member

lol Sanchez 2nd and 3rd were actually pretty good

13. johnmr718

johnmr718 New Member

2010 54.8 3291 17 13 75.3
    2011 56.7 3474 26 18 78.2
    Not the best numbers but when he has talent he can be a decent QB

14. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

I like Gamble... I don't understand why everyone on this board is tying him to Alex Smith as a done deal. Just because Smith is the backup QB of the team Gamble works for? Is that all it takes... I'd much rather have a QB that has worked with the new OC before, not the GM.

Smith did what he did with: Vernon Davis, Michael Crabtree (kid has gotten better), Manningham, Randy Moss (a motivated version of Randy Moss) and Frank Gore... all of that with one hell of an OL and a team with great D (how many times did e have to come from behind). Gamble knows all of this and will keep it in consideration.

I don't dislike A. Smith but c'mon...

That said, if it happens I want this guy for OC: http://www.49ers.com/team/coaches/geep-chryst/3ac62f4d-a289-46f6-bc9f-031f34771f8c
    Started working with Alex Smith in Jan 2011... enough said.

#254 Mambo9, Jan 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  15. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

Wait a second - did you just call Matt Moore a franchise quarterback???

16. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

Agree with the stopgap part, but there's no way Smith has any potential to be anything more than he's been the past couple of years. He's a good game manager, and that wasn't good enough for the Niners. That's certainly better than Sanchez, but we need to concentrate on a stopgap solution for next year, keep our draft picks, and use what little cap space we have to shore up the weaker parts of the team so that whoever is in here (even if it IS Sanchez) doesn't have the same cast of Division III offensive players that we have now.

17. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Yeah, I don't think it's that simple, that he'd be brought in. He does work for the team that got his replacement, too, you can look at it that way.

I'm not totally opposed to Smith. He's a little better than Matt Moore/Tarvaris Jackson/Jason Campbell and the other FAs. The issue is Smith may cost more in money and in other resources.

18. 21stAmendment

21stAmendment Member

@Brian_Bassett: BREAKING: Source w/ knowledge of #Jets contracts tells TJB Jets have essentially "cemented" deal w/ Tom Gamble. Deal likely to run 3-4 yrs.

19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

a betting man would say the officioal announcement comes monday night and the tuesday presser will be his intro