Looks like Gamble might be our guy.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jollygreenjet, Jan 5, 2013.

1. cantwait57

cantwait57 Member

2. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I agree but I believe he did already interview with jax,,,,and cancelled his second,,,,,also heard something about the browns or another team ,,,escapes me rite now

3. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

The only thing Rex needs to do is prove to everyone that his main priority is head coach, not defensive coordinator. 2013 is for player and coach evaluation. This is great situation for a new GM because he basically has a full year to evaluate everything rather than a few weeks this off season.

4. klecko73

klecko73 Guest

Agreed.

Gamble has 2013 to get the Jets out of cap hell with the salary cap purge; trade/cut Holmes, trade/cut Sanchez and trade Revis; and rebuild through the draft.

Gamble is friends with Rex so Rex is somewhat comfortable with the situation in that he can work with the guy. That being said, Rex is on a short leash in 2013 because there is no way a new GM is going to let the clown bring him down long term.

If Rex can take the rebuilt roster and win 6-8 games next year, he comes back in 2014. Anyone who can win 6-8 games with the crap that this team is going to field deserves one more year. If the team quits on him or the 3-ring circus continues to explode around this team, the Jets get a top-ten pick in 2014 and Rex is fired. Gamble gets a clean slate, Rex takes the fall, and has a year to identify potential replacements.

5. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i dont know nearly enough about the guy to feel that he is the right guy for the job, i assume that most of you guys who love it so much dont either.

after all i dont think he has been in charge in a gm role ever before. and has only been in his current position for a year.

hope we made a good decision and he is left to do what needs to be done to get the team back to winning and not looking like idiots.

6. #1 Jets Fan

#1 Jets Fan Guest

As a GM the Jets job looks a lot better then the Jags. I think that what he looking at. Other then MJD the Jags have nothing to work with.

7. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

and we are a year behind where we could have been in the rebuilding process.

and thats IF the gm has the same plans for the team that rex does. which scares me as it would be nice to have at least a bit of offense on the field every now and again.

8. klecko73

klecko73 Guest

The first issue is the salary cap. That is going to start this year and it won't matter who is coach - Rex or someone else. The 2013 Jets are going to stink and it will just matter how bad they are going to be.

9. #1 Jets Fan

#1 Jets Fan Guest

If we get Gamble does that mean Alex Smith will be coming also?

10. #1 Jets Fan

#1 Jets Fan Guest

We been in cap hell for like 3 years straight and we always seem to get out of it.

11. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Cool. This is who I want to be GM.

Alex Smith is a logical signing for us. There is nobody out there and he is the best "game manager" there is. He and Suckchez should compete for the starting gig, with hopefully Smith taking it.

12. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

You want to know something, I'd be much more comfortable if we actually did sign him due to the fact that Gamble knows what the kids all about.
    Not saying if I'm for or against it, but this would ease my mind a bit.

13. cantwait57

cantwait57 Member

14. #1 Jets Fan

#1 Jets Fan Guest

We can't sign him...We would have to trade for him and I don't think he would come cheap.

15. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I'd welcome Smith along with Gamble. That would affect our OC search I'm assuming. Alex Smith is a game manager who plays it safe and is smart with the ball. Norv Turner's offense probably is the worst fit for him. Someone in the other thread mentioned the WR coach from SF as a possible OC candidate (abbreviations, I know). All sounds pretty logical.

16. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Wrong. Smith played one year under Norval and was decent. 2006 I believe.

17. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Tom Gamble had a working relationship with Norv Turner back then I'm assuming? Hopefully this could entice him even more to come here. Or even a staff member from San Fran on offense as a OC.

This is great news.

18. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Rumors that Gamble wants to bring along 9ers d-line coach Jim Tomsula.
    Wonder if he'd be defensive coordinator since Pettine may be moving on?

I think a coach under contract can only make a move if it's a promotion so this may be a possibility.

#38 Jersey Joe 67, Jan 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  19. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

16 TDs and 16 INTs on 58% completion isn't decent. No coincidence that as soon as he started playing safe, game managing football he became above average.

Edit: I should add that even if we do get Alex Smith, I'd still want Norv as OC. I just wouldn't expect the upper 60s completion percentage he's put up the past couple of years.

20. TheJetChase

TheJetChase Member

With that defense, he can bring over whoeva da fuck he wants from the defensive side of the ball.