Potential GM Candidates (Update: Idzik Officially Hired)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Dec 31, 2012.

1. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

What are you talking about? They hired Sparano before they even officially fired Schottenheimer. They didn't even interview anyone else.

2. AlToon

AlToon Member

3. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Albert Breer●✔
    @AlbertBreer

"Also sounds like, early on, 49ers personnel man Tom Gamble is atop the Jets' list. Bill Polian apparently went to bat for him big-time w/NY."

If Polian is endorsing Gamble then I'm all for him becoming the GM. Hopefully they make this hire asap as the Jags are after him hard too.

4. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

What's so great about this guy? The Browns went 5-11, 4-12 and 5-11 while he was there.

5. Jett

Jett Member

any idea where Marc Ross fits in this? Is he a viable option? I would rather the Jets pursue him.

6. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking.

7. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

if he could go back to the 2012 draft I bet he still has his job, picking the combination of Trent Richardson and Brandon Weeden over a potential combo of Doug Martin and Russell Wilson, but hindsight is 20/20

anyway the Browns have a ton of talent just lack a franchise QB to be honest, its crazy how much a QB really determines the fate of a HC and GM

8. vonbonds

vonbonds Member

It is true. This is all that matters now in the game today. It ruins the game a bit for me to be honest. It is easy to see who will be the elite teams (barring injury) and who will just be pretenders.

9. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

The elite QB can easily and efficiently get their teams into playoffs year but at least in the playoffs, you need a semblance of a run game and defense/ST that is solid. That I am thankful for. The Pats and Packers had bottom defenses last year so it was good to see neither team was able to overcome that deficiency.

10. vonbonds

vonbonds Member

Absolutely, you need a whole team who win it all. The one constant though is the quality of the QB position in winners.

11. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Broomuluck,I agree with what you wrote but,,,do u think Sporano was our first and only choice ? Yes Rex liked and wanted him but who else showed any interest in this job ? They interviewed and hired Sporano because others had zero interest . Do you remember how it was rumored to be a package deal ? Haley to call pass plays ,Sporano to call runs ,oh and how would that have worked out. Guys were getting hired on other teams while Haley decided or better yet strung the jets along. We were pretty much out of options when Sporano was hired,,,,,,,it dragged out my friend :grin:

12. TheJetChase

TheJetChase Member

I want nothing to do with anybody related to the Browns. Gamble is the man I want.

13. Swedish Ale

Swedish Ale Member

^ This.
    I don't want Heckert anywhere near this mess. Gamble is the guy, really hope Woody gives him the reigns for the next five years. That Atlanta guy seems lika a good fit too. Same with Ross.

Although I might have to contemplate taking a few years away from the sport if Woody goes pussified and settle for that Jets Assistant...

Get Gamble!

14. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

I dont want Gamble because I heard he didn't have much to do with the draft and thats where we need to build our foundation but who knows

15. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

100% Agree.

A new GM would want his HC, not force feed Rex on him.

A GM is suppose to control the team, and since Woody won't allow it, expect most of the GM candidates not to want to accept the Jet's offer.

This GM search group Woody hired is a Joke, the first advice should have been shit can Ryan to find the very best GM.

There are a lot of GM openings and any solid GM candidate would want total control.

Rex is a DC and one of the very best, he's clearly shown he can't control the teaam as Head Coach.

16. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Now they're saying they are going to interview Heckert, the guy fired by the Browns?
    ARE YOU KIDDING ME????

17. AlToon

AlToon Member

Heckert had a good reputation before taking the Browns job. He was the hot candidate other teams wanted to hire. Maybe Polian or some other NFL exec recommended the Jets interview Heckert. The Jets should interview as many candidates as possible and make their choice in the very near future.

18. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Heckert is very smart evaluating personnel and has a deep scouting backgrouind, which Tanny had zero experience.

It's clear from the candidates being looked at, Woody wants the new GM to have a strong scouting background.

Heckert took over a mess in Cleveland.

Most Brown fans liked Heckert a lot and could see the improvement in the team.

The Browns were competitive in almost all of their games and Heckert drafted some excellent players.

19. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

The Browns are a team that could actually stand to not fire their personnel every 3 years. They were an improving team.

20. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

I do remember, yes. But they fired Scotty the day after the season ended and already had Sparano in place. How many people could they actually have spoken to without tampering? I think they got advice from Parcells that Sparano was the guy and then didn't even look at anyone else. If they had looked elsewhere, they wouldn't have made a hire the same week the season ended.