Potential GM Candidates (Update: Idzik Officially Hired)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

no thank you

I'd take Brett Smith next year

2. Swedish Ale

Swedish Ale Member

I have absolutely nothing against you, and I've seen people commenting on your way of posting already - but it hurts the brain trying to read them, to the point where your views and opinions become almost impossible to grasp. :T

3. laxin

laxin Active Member

Why?......

4. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

I'm no fan of Bridgewater and I think Smith is going to be a stud, great mechanics and arm

5. laxin

laxin Active Member

Im not going to lie, I havent watched much of Wyoming so I can not speak to Smith's ability... But Bridgewater is pretty damn impressive.

Love the kids determination and character... Played through a broken wrist, and did pretty damn well. He loves to be challenged and loves the NFL throws. He's got a great arm and release, really good ball handling on PA, very good pocket presence and accuracy... And he plays better teams.

If we are in a position to draft Bridgewater next year we consider ourselves more than lucky and never look back.

6. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

who would you compare him to

7. DbaJets

DbaJets New Member

BINGO. You guys who think having a coach in place is a benefit to the new GM dont know shit about business

8. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

name a potential head coach out there thats better than Rex who can continue to coach our defense us

the new GM should have his say on the rest of the staff and the direction of the offense but I want Rex controlling the defense

9. laxin

laxin Active Member

If Rex left, and say Dennis Thurman implemented a similar system (completely hypothetical because I havent looked at any DC), our defense may take one step back.... But our offense may take two steps forward.

Rex is a glorified DC, he's really not a great HC.

10. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

It's amazing how Rex has reached martyr status in this whole thing. You'd think that we're talking about Brady and Belichick yet we're talking about an awful QB and a very good DC/decent HC.

11. laxin

laxin Active Member

12. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

IF they fired REX but kept Pettine ,,,what then ? The defense could be exactly the same.

13. AlToon

AlToon Member

Tom Heckert

Add former Browns GM Tom Heckert to the names being pursued for Jets GM job. Caldwell, Ross, Gamble also in mix

https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/286223461108563968

Looks like Heckert is joining his old boss from Philly in AZ

Some reports say Heckert will be going to AZ. Some say no.

Heckert had a good resume before going to Cleveland

14. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

no it wouldn't, it'd be nothing like how Rex runs it

15. Yeah..don't let the media's way of trying to stir up negativity on the process bother anyone.And above is the reason to need not worry.

There are plenty of competent candidates coming to the surface & any one of them are a step in the right direction for this organization.At the same time none of them scream "Gotta have". If a candidate is willing to turn down the position b/c of Rex..they likely weren't the right fit any way. In which case no sweat & onto the next one. Does choosing the Chargers,Jaguars or Panthers over the Jets really hurt our ego that much? This is New York. The opportunity isn't for everyone.

16. DbaJets

DbaJets New Member

Not sure, but the point is it has to be the GM's call, either way.

17. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

any g.m. that comes here is basically getting a free year. if we suck next year rex takes the fall and the g.m. gets to start fresh with his coach. if they are good he will be called a genius for infusing this team with talent. its a no lose situation really

18. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

I like this list. Heckert going to AZ is up in the air. Currently there is a stare down between Reid and AZ over Heckert.

19. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

yes i guess it depends on how the new GM sees it. There's rarely anything free in NY, but really they'll be given a free pass this coming year to get things sorted. That almost never happens in NY.

20. AlToon

AlToon Member

Not sure how much money or how many years Sparano has left. If Rex hires a new OC and Rex is fired after 2013,the new coach will bring in his own staff. If Sparano signed more than a 2 year deal,Woody could conceivably be paying 3 offensive coordinators in 2014. Its not like Rex's staff is staying in place. So many spots on the staff need to be filled with Rex having a new GM who didn't hire him in place. Its a tricky situation. The new GM will have some input on the staff. New offensive coordinator. New QB coach. New offensive line coach. New defensive coordinator. New special teams coach. Mike Westhoff indicated his assistant Ben Kotwica will replace him. They could promote Dennis Thurman but he has never been a coordinator and Rex can't be devoting all of his time to that side of the ball. He can't be coaching the coaches. What type of candidates will they attract knowing Rex is coming off two non-playoff years and there is a new GM hovering over Rex? They have some many questions to answer.