Potential GM Candidates (Update: Idzik Officially Hired)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets need to have a new GM in place very soon. They're frozen as an organization until they get that handled.

As an example they don't know if Sparano, Lal, Guglielmo, Pettine, Sutton any of a number of other unit coaches are going to be retained yet. They have no special teams coordinator with Mike Westhoff retiring. The really good potential hires in these areas are going to evaporate over the next couple of weeks.

Look for a GM in place by middle of the month at the latest and probably much sooner than that.

2. AlToon

AlToon Member

For those who think Rex Ryan is safe; if he is, that will likely eliminate some GM candidates. Not all would agree to keep him.

https://twitter.com/caplannfl/status/286142116114092032

If Woody really likes a GM candidate much more than other guys but that candidate doesn't want to keep Rex,would Woody allow the GM to dump Rex?

3. Br4d

There are 6 million reasons to keep Rex. My guess is that if the new GM really blew Woody and Neil Glat away and they were sure this was the guy they'd write off Rex's contract and blow everything up.

Hopefully in that situation the guy would be keyed in to what needed to be done to preserve the limited value the Jets have gotten out of the last few drafts. If not we're looking at a 1-15 team next year.

4. AlToon

AlToon Member

NY Jets : The Jets are using a search firm to help run the show and it's only natural they are interviewing Marc Ross. Ross will probably land something this offseason and the Jets are focused on improving their drafts, and Ross is all about college scouting. They have asked permission to speak to Gamble as well, sources said, and former GMs like Jerry Angelo and Randy Mueller would have interest but I don't see the Jets going in that direction. Some wonder if New York would be willing to bring in Bill Polian, who would really change the culture in that building (if Kansas City makes a front office move, Polian could end up involved in that as well). If the Jets were smart, they would reach out to Jim Popp, longtime GM of Montreal of the CFL, who has an expert eye for talent, knows how to manipulate the back end of the roster and who nearly got the Colts job a year ago. Adding an experienced eye like Bill Kuharich, who had a strong run most recently in Kansas City, would make sense as well. It may take a village to save the Jets

http://www.cbssports.com/columns/st...k-at-best-coaching-gm-options-as-smoke-clears

They already have a village idiot as the head coach.

#84 AlToon, Jan 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  5. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Thank for posting that ALTOON :up:
    Keep em coming

6. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Is there a reason Caldwell is not getting more burn in the press? Atlanta is absolutely loaded on offense with mostly drafted talent which seems to align with our needs clearly. All indications are that Caldwell played a direct part in building that offense. Truly surprised he's not getting mentioned more.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

7. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

Demote Rex to DC and bring in Mike Holmegren as Gm/ coach.

8. AlToon

AlToon Member

According to Glazer,the Jets have requested permission to speak with Caldwell.

He has the scouting background Woody wants in a GM.

David Caldwell enters his first season as the Falcons Director of Player Personnel in 2012. He will oversee both the college and pro scouting efforts and work closely with Falcons General Manager Thomas Dimitroff. Caldwell will also play a day-to-day role in the analysis and evaluation of the Falcons current roster while aiding in the research on how to acquire future free agents.

Prior to being promoted to Director of Player Personnel, he spent the last four seasons with the Falcons as the Director of College Scouting overseeing Atlanta’s college area and regional scouts. He also assimilated the information he received and presented it to Dimitroff with a goal of making the NFL Draft as effective as possible. Caldwell was also responsible for scouting the top talent in the country.

Caldwell has served in the NFL for 15 years, 10 of which came with the Indianapolis Colts. From 2006-07, Caldwell was the Western Regional Scout with Indianapolis covering major college football conferences, including the Pac- 10, Big 10 and Big 12. Coming from a successful Colts franchise that claimed a victory in Super Bowl XLI against the Chicago Bears, Caldwell was part of a scouting team that accounted for multiple starters and Pro Bowl players. In 1998, he got his start with Indianapolis, serving as an Area Scout and remained in that role for the following seven seasons. Caldwell covered the Midwest and West Coast regions. In 1996, Caldwell broke into the NFL with the Carolina Panthers as a Scouting Assistant where he spent two seasons. He served as a liaison between the college scouting director and multiple area scouts while focusing on draft preparations.

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/team/staff/David-Caldwell/45a2f524-d9cd-4a73-8926-119c585e9e86

9. AlToon

AlToon Member

Holmgren is a lousy personnel guy. Great coach. I read he wants to coach again. Holmgren had Ted Thompson picking the players in Seattle. Holmgren was a disaster in Cleveland as team president. Holmgren is almost 65 years old. He had his chance to coach the Jets in 1990 when Dick Steinberg offered him the job. Steinberg also liked George Perles. Francesa lost his mind when Steinberg seriously considered Perles.

10. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

If Hess had lived longer, Belichick would likely have taken the Jets HC job when Parcells jumped ship. It was ownership uncertainty and Woody that scared him off, I believe.

11. Joe Willie White Shoes

Steinberg got stomach cancer during his Jets tenure. That explains his record.

12. Br4d

Parcells was staying as GM if Belichik took the job. Belichik wanted no part of that, he wanted out from under Parcells and out of his shadow.

13. Call me crazy w/ the senior bowl approaching but I'm not sure freezing the organization for a few days isn't a bad thing. When the season ended they needed to get this media mess cleaned up. Every day the tabloid-esque stories were getting worse & worse.

Notice how the Jets had a staff meeting 1 pm yesterday but very little info has been revealed about it? Sounds like Woody is doing some real corporate cleansing. Get the internal stuff cleaned up & stop the media madness in the process. Don't think all that media gossip wouldn't scare potential GM candidates away. Now the franchise can concentrate on the healing process which includes a new braintrust running the show.

14. Joe Willie White Shoes

The idea that some Asst GM would turn down the opportunity to take a GM job with the Jets because Ryan is the coach is somewhat absurd. These opportunities don't come around often. DeCosta turned down interviews because he is going to take over in Baltimore for Newsome.

For the others, you take the job and live with Ryan for 2013. If you don't like what you see, you fire him after 2013 and build your CS. The new GM is not going to have his job on the line in 2013. He is going to have 4-5 years to build a team.

Ryan is a short term issue, as is the Sanchez contract. This is not a one year rebuilding project. It is going to take a few years.

15. Br4d

If the Jets could figure out a way to shut off the media for a month this off-season it would be a major blessing.

16. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

You said it better than I could

17. laxin

laxin Active Member

Hey at least in this case we would get a shot at a real QB with Bridgewater.

18. laxin

laxin Active Member

But for instance, Tom Gamble or Caldwell or Ross are three of the best and hottest candidates on the market, have interviews with multiple teams. I know Gamble has interviews with SD, the Jets, and Jax. I think Ross has something similar.

These guys are not limited to JUST the Jets. They have other opportunities. If they see the Jets and say, the Chargers, on a similar level but dont want to work with Rex and get to choose their coaching staff in SD, then they'll choose SD. It may in fact cause us to loose a better candidate... Im not saying it will, because I dont know what goes on behind the scenes or what they are thinking, but it may.

Its definitely not absurd to think it may factor into one of their decisions.

If we are talking about a lower candidate that only has one opportunity and thats with the Jets, then sure it wont affect it. But we should be striving for the best GM because he, not Rex, will determine our success the next 6 years.

19. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Joe Willie I guess we will find out in the next few weeks how absurd it really is ! I agree if you want a guy that is a Luke warm candidate, young and eager he will take it.,,,,,but,,,,if you are one of these hot names we keep hearing why on earth would you come to a team and owner that are forcing a possible lame duck coach down your throat ? To me that makes no sense especially when you look at it this way,,,there are a few teams looking for A GM the jets are not the only game in town in fact rite now under these conditions and with the QB mess and the cap nite mare you might say that this is the most challenging but I call it one of the least attractive ! ,,,,,,,we will see how it plays out in the next few days.
    Ps I remember last year when we were looking for a new OC and it was slim pickings,,,,no one was jumping at the chance to come here and coach Sanchez and work for Rex ,,,,,we settled for Sporano ! This GM search can go a lot like last years search time will tell

20. wildaces

wildaces Banned

Mods, can we make a thread that we can sticky/pin with the updated candidates. We have asked for permission to speak to the 3 people, but it is difficult to keep track.

I am wondering if we could have a thread that can't be posted to, just updated by mods.

Thanks