Potential GM Candidates (Update: Idzik Officially Hired)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Dec 31, 2012.

1. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

I just want an established GM. I don't want a director of scouting or a cap guy. I want a real football mind who has actually been a GM before.

Of course being forced to have a knucklehead, overmatched, loud mouth, lying fraud of a coach hurts the chances of that happening.

2. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

Oh man that's cruel

3. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

lol

How do you think those "established" GM's got their start?

There is only a couple out there that have been fired for one reason or another anyway. Some of these scouts and cap guys are really good at what they do and just need a chance to prove what they are about.

I would love it if we had a very successful scouting director come in as our new GM. That to me would be ideal. I just hope that they are extensive on their job search and find the absolute best fit for the job. That is all I care about.

4. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

No doubt he has to have a good football acumen. This GM selection is crucial to the next 5 years of this franchise. It's basically everything. Our GM should have a real understanding of how to build long term success for a franchise. Also he should have documented success acquiring offensive talent through the draft and via free agency.

5. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

There aren't any out there. These executive pools are filled by an inner circle of folk that take time to gain experience and respect, especially in modern day sports.

More than likely u have to get an asst gm or personnel dude that is prepared to make the jump and convince the owner he has the stones and brains to do it.

6. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Kotite was only GM for one year? I thought he ran the ship much longer. Maybe all those bad memories are making me lose track of time. btw, Dick Steinberg's record looks fantastic when compared with Kotite's.

7. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Kotite was coach for two years. Steinberg died in September 1995, so I guess Kotite was GM for most of that season. I'd have to read up on the right order of things. I'm reading that Dick Haley assumed those duties after he got sick (not sure to what extent). So I'm not sure if Kotite became GM in 1995 or 1996. Although it is of note that Steinberg had no input in hiring Kotite (all Hess).

I think I'm off by two seasons though, according to some article he had a 33-51 record with the Jets.

#47 LeonNYJ, Dec 31, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  8. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Didn't realize Kotite wan't just a shitty coach - he was a shitty GM too!

I must have blacked that out from my memory.

Speaking of Kotite - talk about a vanishing act. Amazing. Is he living under an assumed name in South America? Figured by now he'd emerge from the witness protection program. It's been 15 years!

9. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Exactly. One of the best news I've heard in a long time is that Polian isn't interested in Jets. Everyone bringing up his name constantly just needs to spend 10 minutes on google to know why it's stupid.

this guy is too old & would be retired if he didn't have to force/trick some organization into hiring his son. Anyone that hires this guy needs to brace themselves. Daddy Polian will then walk out the door & then be left with his son for many years.

10. Revis Now Redux

Revis Now Redux Active Member

Wow didnt know Decosta was even a candidate...Fuck Polian and get him!

11. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

DeCosta wants to stay put, Polian is 70+, he doesn't want any job.

12. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Tannenbaum took over in 2006 not 2007

13. Murrell2878

I think Steve Gutman and Pat Kirwin made personnel decisions not RIch Kotite.

14. Murrell2878

15. ProfJets

ProfJets Well-Known Member

The problem is, if they've been GM before, that generally means they failed at being GM.

16. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Forget anyone that is reputable ,,,,,,,NO ONE is going to take this job having Rex forced own their throat ! If you want to hire a legit GM then allow him to do his job,,,,,,,Gamble, Decastro ......no one will take this job under these circumstances ! Cue the circus music

17. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

I'm so glad an NFL insider like you is posting on this board. Do tell; why is this a circus? Let me guess, the media told you it is.

18. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Scratch Polian and DeCosta off the list. Ross is the first one to interview. Kinda young. I prefer the guy from Green Bay cause he worked under Ron Wolf. What we don't need is another bean counter like Jim Kensil and Mike Tannenbaum. We need a person strong in scouting so that we can always have talent available. Just too man gaps under Tannenbaum. He was I'll prepared after the strike ended and our wide receiver corp has been terrible since.

19. I don't think the "scouting" background is as important w/ this hire as many think. Charlie Casserly said on NFLN that the Jets have an extremely strong scouting department & just need to lean on them more strongly. Rex of course also has a great eye for defensive talent which helps.

More importantly, this new GM needs to understand the proper way to construct a roster, upgrade player development & find a happy medium between Rex's open media policy & avoiding the national inquirer media circus. Where Tannenbaum fell short was not building an identity offensively, being too aggressive w/ draft picks & trying to outsmart himself rather than making good football sense.

The immediate needs moving forward are:

1.Roster/financial stability
    2. Offensive identity
    3. PR Core values

20. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I just think it's sad that this organiation always does things bass ackwards.