Potential QBs In The Draft

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JetFanInPA, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Glennon is stinking it up today

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If they slide to 9 in the 2nd round it means they have gotten by KC twice, Jacksonville twice, Oakland twice, Philly twice, Arizona twice, Buffalo twice. I just don't see how that could possibly help us. There are a lot of teams with a crying need for a QB right now, us among them. Anybody who drops to the 41 has been blown off by all those teams twice already and by us once.

It really is a group dynamics thing. The odds on one team being smarter than a bunch of teams over something as simple as picking the best player in the draft are low and random at that.

3. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Your point is why I would be hesitant. The wisest move is probably going to be not to draft a QB unless maybe a flyer at 7.

4. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

He's not helping his draft stock at all. He's looked a bit shaky.

5. flagator07

flagator07 New Member

I agree with this completely. Drafting another mediocre QB isn't a solution, it just prolongs the problem.

6. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

LOL at guys all over Jets boards sticking up for Glennon looking like shit but when Geno looked bad in shit weather he was over rated and not ready

7. duncc5

duncc5 Member

After seeing most of these guys play, I wouldn't go QB any sooner than the 3rd. If Bray or Nassib is available then, we should pull the trigger. Otherwise, we might just have to wait another year.

8. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

It's like all the top qb's are trying to play their way out of the first this draft season. :grin:

9. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

Glendon threw half as picks as Geno did all year just today. That says enough. Geno doesn't turn the ball over, the complete of opposite of what our problem was this year.

10. mj2sexay

mj2sexay Active Member

Geno still sucks. I don't get the infatuation with a guy that's a glorified system quarterback.

Hey that's what the Jets need, a QB who's skittish and unaware of situational football. A guy who can't read and diagnose a defense to save his life.

For the record I wasn't a Glennon guy either. Silly to throw him under the bus after one game but man did he look terrible.

11. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

If Tajh Boyd declares, he's worth a hard look early. Looked great tonight against LSU. Has a great receiver in Hopkins and another in Watkins, but I've always liked Boyd. This is a weak QB class, Boyd is just as good as any of them.

#151 Jetfanmack, Dec 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  12. duncc5

duncc5 Member

Could not agree more, he is fun to watch. Definitely has the "it" factor. Reminds me a lot of Russell Wilson.

13. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

Which is bad news bears for us. I was hoping at least 1 QB gets picked in the top 10 but to be honest it doesn't look certain at all.

14. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I said it in another thread, but I guess I'll put it here as well.'

EJ Maunel

5th or 6th round (lets say 6th because I don't want to debate Bradwaysux).

I really believe that he can play at the next level and eventually be a starter.

15. cambam71

cambam71 Member

espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/488025/geno-smith

Sorry, I know I don't post much, bash away if you wish for me chiming in, but I just had to.

The fact is Geno is not a "system" QB. As a former WVU student and now a season ticket holder I've seen all of his games, home and away at least on TV and usually in person for the past 3 years.

If you take a look at his 2010 season, this was when Bill Stewart was WVU's HC, and there was no Holgorsen as OC either, it was Jeff Mullen, who was, well, atrocious at calling plays. Every other play was a WR screen that went for crap yardage.

While he didn't put up the staggering yardage numbers, his YPA and Completion percentage was still very impressive. He also had ~200 less attempts this season and still came close to 3k yards. We were still infatuated with the YouTube sensation of Noel Devine in his senior season when he was healthy.

Geno has some flaws, mainly, I question his mentality. Every game this year (aside from Texas) that he came out pumped up, talking, pointing at the other sideline when provoked, he choked. Sometimes he looked down (a la Cam Newton) on the sidelines when things started going downhill. There were other times (at Texas) when the team had just gotten hit in the mouth, and he was jumping around slapping his teammates helmets and getting them up as well. This is where I'm torn on whether he will be a good NFL QB.

He's not a "System QB", he's a damn good QB that has played, learned and performed at a high level in two very different offensive schemes. I believe at worst he will be a Jason Campbell in the NFL, at best, you're looking at a Donovan McNabb plus some film/determination intangibles. In my opinion and I would be completely fine with a guy that could throw to complete trash at WR like McNabb typically had (and we currently have) and get to 5 NFC title games. DISCLAIMER: I have a soft spot for ol' McNabb.

I don't mean to jump down your throat, just wanted to give you the whole story from a first hand account and seeing him play live throughout the past 3 years.

16. Sanchize0829

Sanchize0829 Well-Known Member

If we are looking at a later round QB, I still would love to see the Jets draft Sean Renfree. I think it was Todd McShay who said that Renfree reminds him of Matt Schaub. I think thats a perfect comparison, and Renfree is extremely underrated.

Yes, he was a system QB, but he can make all the throws. He also has had ridiculous accuracy throughout his career. You aren't going to find many QB's with better accuracy in this draft than Renfree. The only problem with Renfree is that he makes some bonehead decisions. Anyway, he has the arm, the size and the accuracy to be a great late round sleeper.

17. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

I still think Tyler Bray is ideal for New York

He has tough skin, he's a gunslinger and has the most upside of any QB in the class

18. laxin

laxin Active Member

He's the complete opposite of ideal for the QB of a NY team. There a major questions about the kids character, love for the game and strive to be great. Thats the last this this team needs.

At least Sanchez was a hard worker... I do not want this kid at all.

Would be a complete waste of a pick.

Why does he have the most upside? Because he's tall and has a good arm? That doesnt determine upside. More often than not, the player with better character and need to be great is going to be better. He's inaccurate, has questions about durability and makes stupid decisions. "This Tennessee gunslinger has all the physical tools and yet lacks all the mental acumen necessary in the NFL."

I want no part of Bray.

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2012/oct/19/ron-higgins-skills-alone-wont-make-vols-tyler-bray/

Oh and I've never heard him described as having "tough skin"...

19. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

he has natural ability and with NFL coaching and a great offensive scheme he'll be a stud. He's a clone of Philip Rivers and Jay Cutler and just because he's not squeaky clean shouldn't change the fact that he's a great prospect. Bray will not be bothered by our media, I think he will rise to the occasion and in 2 years when surrounded by the right weapons, behind a great line and our defense continuing to get better will bring us back to the playoffs

20. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

The more I keep watching potential QBs for this draft, the more I like Zac Dysert. Good size, mobility, strong arm but plays with a horrible team around him. I would love to see him as a developmental guy for us.