Jets are Projected to Draft 9th

Discussion in 'Draft' started by 1968jetsfan, Oct 7, 2012.

1. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

No, it was just a complete hypothetical.

2. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

People were saying similar things about Decastro last year (though not as strongly). You just never know.

3. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Yeah but he lasted on the table until #24.

So plenty of other gms didnt think he was THAT spectacular.

Decastro was completely plagued by injuries the entire season

4. Jett

Jett Member

No to Geno. If anything trading back and getting Glennon would be good. Unfortunately I bet my bottom dollar that after a strong combine Glennon rises and gets the Tannehill type hype.

And Jarvis is good option and so is Warmack

5. NYJetsfan56

NYJetsfan56 Member

Where is Damontre Moore projected to go ?

6. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Though we have to wait to see how many underclassmen declares for NFL, right now the positions with the most first round talent belongs to OLs and DE. One man argue that the team sorely needs a pass rusher thus we could go after another DE. Obviously with Wilkerson and Coples being the last 2 first round picks, I believe we don't need another first round DE. That being said, my first gut reaction with loaded talent of OLs, I say we trade down to garner another 3rd or 4th round pick. We gave up a lot of sacks this year and our running game was inconsistent. Thus in my opinion, we should get an OL with the first round pick followed by OLB, RB and WR.

7. laxin

laxin Active Member

Could be a top 5 pick.

8. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

While I agree that we need a new QB, I am unsure why some here are looking at QBs high in the draft picks since I am not sure any of them will be impact players for us. We need an impact immediate player with the first two or three picks. That said, I think it would make sense to trade down and still get a solid first round pick and perhaps picking up a QB with the supplemental pick in mid rounds. Just my thought...

9. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

Remember that PM I sent to you a few months back about Moore?

10. laxin

laxin Active Member

Haha of course, great call on your part :up:

Would be a great option at 9.

11. laxin

laxin Active Member

We dont necessarily need an immediate impact player. We should accept the fact that we are going to be in rebuild mode for at least the next two seasons and will not be competing for much, barring an unforeseen miracle.

12. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Well, I wasn't thinking about "rebuilding" mode since we still have some veterans long term contracts such as Holmes, DBrick, Mangold, Cromartie etc thus I do not think we are very bad team that needs to be in the rebuilding mode. If we are then wouldn't you say that one of the very first moves that our next GM should consider make some high profile trades to bring in my draft picks? While we do have a lot of issues, I think we are more closer to being a playoff team than a bad team. I think we stunk this year primarily because of poor moves by both Tannebaum and Rex and ineffective both by the Offensive Coordinator and of course Sanchez. Thus, I think with several changes here or there, we are back to a playoff team imo. I am be wrong but that's the way I see it.

13. laxin

laxin Active Member

Which is why I would be for trading Revis if you could get multiple high picks... This team has a ton of holes, and the biggest one at the most important position.

We are bringing in a new GM, OC, QB and potentially HC... meaning the entire team is in flux. I just dont see how this team, a team that has beaten ONE team with a winning record in the last two years could be a true contender.

Teams like the Colts and Redskins where able to turn it around so fast because they filled that most important position with two of the best prospects of the last decade... That option doesnt really appear present unless we strike absolute gold.

14. cromartiecove31

cromartiecove31 New Member

We need to go offensive line in the first round, maybe trade back for Warmack, because I see us missing out on the 3 elite OLB (Jones,Moore,Mingo) maybe get another 2nd a take another o lineman and Zachary Ertz or Tyler Eiffert or a Mike Glennon, pick up Matt Moore and compete, the Jets I hope sign people in the offseason, cause I think we will cut a lot of money and spend on a top WR and a OLB like Cliff Avril or Paul Kruger or Mike Johnson, I think we lose a lot of money actually

15. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

how is Mingo elite?

16. laxin

laxin Active Member

Maybe elite measurable, but he sure as hell doesnt have elite tape.

17. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

The 3 worst teams last year are all in the playoffs this year.

Just sayin'

18. Sanchize0829

Sanchize0829 Well-Known Member

Those are all great fits for the Jets, but I just think taking a guy who will play RT is a bad value for the 9th pick.

Heck, I don't even like picking a guard at #9, but Warmack is one of the best guard prospects ever, so I completely would understand if we picked him at #9.

Personally, unless there is a once in a generation prospect like Warmack at guard or center, the only offensive line position that I would take in the Top 15 would be LT.

In the current day NFL, RB, OG, OC, MLB, RT, TE , SS are basically secondary positions. The most that you need the most value out of are QB, LT, WR, DT, DE, OLB, CB and FS.

They aren't secondary positions in the sense that they are less important positions, but talent at those positions usually doesn't come from first round picks. Usually only the player at each of those positions each year is a first round pick. Contrary to QB, DE or OLB, where its possible to have more than five players picked in the first round.

I know that you know your shit, but I look at that list and just think to myself that I would hate to waste the 9th pick on a RT. This team needs impact talent, I just don't think someone like Jake Matthews can be an impact player in the NFL at RT. Heck, I don't think any RT's are impact players. For example, lets say we draft Jarvis Jones and he comes in and has 10+ sacks each year for the next 10 years, he clearly will have been an impact player. If Matthews comes in and is a steady presence at RT for ten years, I don't really feel like we got value at pick #9.

My opinion is that you should be looking for an impact player at #9, not an incredibly good player at a non impact position.

19. cromartiecove31

cromartiecove31 New Member

He had a better year last year..... But ask anyone, he will go in the top 15 picks, he has incredible measurables, look at Dontari Poe last year.... Amazing first step too, he will be coveted is what I am saying, I hate him personally

20. Sanchize0829

Sanchize0829 Well-Known Member

Here is a hypothetical.

Lets say that we take a pass rusher in this draft to go along with picking Wilkerson and Coples the last two years, would it really be smart to pass up on a franchise QB like Bridgewater or whoever else emerges?

This is of course assuming we sign or trade for a stop gap at QB. I also highly doubt that we will get the #1 pick in the 2014 draft, but teams do crazy things to get franchise QB's.

For example, take the 2011 draft. The Panthers passed on Von Miller to take Cam Newton. Miller is one of the best defensive players in the NFL, while its hard to even call Newton a top ten QB in the NFL, possibly not even top 15.

Newton is still a pretty good player, but the point is that Von Miller is one of the best players in the league and Newton is barely even in the top half players at his position in the league.