Jets are Projected to Draft 9th

Discussion in 'Draft' started by 1968jetsfan, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Jetsjack

Jetsjack New Member

Why some of you want a guard is beyond me. We need a game changer on offense.

2. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

Are you suggesting we Drown for the Clown? :wink:

3. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

I'm all for tanking for him, we're not winning the SB and aren't close to a playoff caliber O

4. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

Pro bowl guards can't change an offense? I guess it'd make more sense to draft a mediocre QB at 9??

5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

6. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Trade down we need depth, and there are no QB's worth wasting a top 10 pick on.

7. Jetsjack

Jetsjack New Member

But geno will likely be gone. So trade down to around the 20 and draft gio Bernard and we get a 2nd and a 3rd hopefully.

8. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Mike Glennon. We need a QB, first and foremost, and I think he would get the job done.

If someone else got him before we do, I think we should get Gio Bernard. Kid is a playmaker.

9. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Because a good OL can go a long way to creating a good offense. There is no AP talent or Luck talent at QB or WR, so OL seems to be a great way to go if you want to go offense.

I am in the theory of trading down right now. I wouldn't mind trading down grabbing another pick in the first 4 rounds

10. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Never really cared for trading down but this might be a perfect time to do so. The more quality draft picks the better for us.

11. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

That's possible? I don't know much about how the draft works TBH.

12. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

It's not the "fun" pick but if we're drafting our franchise QB in 2014 or 2015, we'll need to protect him. Having an Elite G or RT will keep our offense alive and our run game fresh in the future.

I still think Werner > Warmack in terms of value, though.

13. Axel3419

You think we should use the 9th overall for this guy? If we traded down I'd be okay with this, but Glennon SHOULD be a 2nd round pick. (Obviously Qbs are overvalued all of the time, and if Glennon turned into a legit starter it would be worth it, but I don't want to waste a 9th overall pick for a prospect that may not be our franchise Qb)

14. Axel3419

Terrible, terrible idea. Tanking is only worth it if you get a franchise qb. Period.

15. milcus

milcus Well-Known Member

Te'o/Werner in Round 1, Bray in Round 2. That will be a solid start to a draft. Then get WR, TE, RT, HB and we are set.

Lol. Our offense is such a joke that we literally need a new skill player at every position.

16. S.HOLMES.10

S.HOLMES.10 Member

Todd McShay has described Chance Warmack as the best interior lineman he has evaluated in the last decade, the greatest prospect since Steve Hutchinson in 2001, and he is absolutely right. Most of you should be aware of Chance Warmack, Alabama are on TV pretty much every week and you will have a chance to see him again in the national title game.

Interior lineman don't tend to warrant too much pre-draft hype, it's usually the blind-side protecting tackles or the centres who gain most of the lines in the press. However this year could be different as Chance could be the 2nd or 3rd best player in this draft full stop.

Taking over from All-American Mike Johnson at left guard on the Alabama offence, Chance had some pretty big boots to fill and boy has he done it. Alabama consistently rank among the nations leaders in offence, especially on the ground, when you watch them play football it's no surprise that there are some gaping holes. It's also no surprise that in 2012 Alabama had two 1,000 yard backs on their team in Eddie Lacy and impressive Freshman T.J Yeldon (Heisman in his future).

Like a lot of SEC teams, it all starts up front. Alabama has a lot of talent on that offensive line, but the most talented is Chance, at 6'2 and 325lb's he is a big frame if a little short, but he moves extremely well and has the strength to play inside.

Positives

Although he may be a little shorter than some guards, he has great movement and has been described as 'Country strong' which isn't a bad thing. He has no durability concerns and has started at LG for the past three seasons. Has no off the field issues which is important, especially for the Jets. The best thing about Chance for me? his toughness and desire. He never quits and plays to the whistle every single snap of every single quarter. His coaches has commented that he is a perfectionist who works at his craft day and night. Appreciates the little things about his position like hand placement, and understands the importance of footwork and leverage. Excellent awareness in pass protection, and doesn't get beat with fancy pass rush moves, has the strength to hold up against any bull rushes* and quick to pick up any blitz that is coming from the second level. However his real calling is in run blocking, has a great first step and keeps his legs moving to drive defenders out the way. Has excellent balance and a thick lower body, constantly generates a surge and Alabama run to the left for yardage consistently. Will finish his blocks and then move to the next level if possible. Good overall athleticism, with a good punch and good lateral ability and short area quickness. As you have probably gathered, he is an elite talent.

Negatives

* In relation to bull rushes, although he does have the strength to stand up against them, can be slightly knocked back on initial contact and can play with his pads too high in pass protection. Apart from that there really isn't a great deal not to like about Chance.

Conclusion

There is a reason why he is gaining momentum within draft circles as a top 10 selection. He can be a consistent performer for the next 10 years and for a team like the Jets who need some interior lineman, this probably would make a lot of sense. It's not the 'sexy' selection that some will want but it's a footballing selection, he could really help us with our run game and if we are going to draft a Running Back like many want us too, having a guy like Chance on board will increase their chances of instant success. I love his run blocking ability more than anything and the fact he is a film room guy, who takes pride in his craft. I think he'll likely go between 10-20, and could be around where Steve Hutchinson went in 2001 (#17), so he is right around where we will be selecting. I think this would be a 'safe' pick and his 'bust potential' is extremely low. I would certainly consider Chance if he is there when we select.

17. laxin

laxin Active Member

Bray is the last thing we need...

18. laxin

laxin Active Member

If he's the next Bruce Smith it might be worth it if we are already not going to make the playoffs... But this is a moot point, no team is going to tank a season straight from the start.

19. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

In no order, you've got:

Joekel
    Matthews
    Lewin
    Warmack
    Teo
    Werner
    Jones
    Lotulelei
    Moore

That's 9 guys that I would be OK with and I'm sure at least one QB will go in the top 8 so there should be a couple guys available. I think there's a big difference in this draft between 9 and maybe 14/15.

20. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Id be infinitely happy if we traded back to around 15~ picking up an extra 2nd + mid rounder, then drafted Warmack or Matthews (its hard justify drafting a guard @ #9)

We could then reload the roster or even trade up into the first again and get that pass rusher as well.