Predict what Woody will do in these coming weeks?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by soxxx, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Jon_Snow

Jon_Snow New Member

A new GM would be easiest change to make that would allow the team to be left intact. The only problem is what perspective GM is going to want to sign up for that? Most aren't going to want to retain Tanny and Rex. I can only see another Yes Man wanting join under those circumstances.

One thing I do agree with is Woody would like the splash of new GM hire to distract everyone from the stink of this season.

#41 Jon_Snow, Dec 29, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Rex is the key to the Jet's defense. Without him it declines dramatically.

I think a new GM coming in would view Rex as a necessary asset in what is likely to be a rebuilding season next year. He can always fire Rex at the end of 2013 or even not extend him and let him coach in another rebuilding year in 2014.

I think the Jets will promote Dennis Thurman to DC next year if Rex is still here and will ask Thurman to run the evolving 46 with strategic help from Rex in the game plans but not much in-game tactical assistance. That sets the Jets up to retain Thurman and the game plan if and when Rex goes.

And of course it's always possible the Jets click with a vet QB next season or get very lucky on a draft pick. Although I think they need to be really wary of burning a draft pick in front of the fans and media immediately, especially if Rex is still the head coach. Better to let the next head coach be the guy associated with the young QB if it comes to that.

3. Br4d

2013 is likely to be a rebuilding season with a cap-strung franchise sorting out the debris from the last window. There really is nothing that they can do to give themselves anything more than a wild swing at that Super Bowl and even then they're going to be doing it in front of an audience that doesn't believe them and is in "show-me" mode.

I think letting the new GM step forwards and begin the process of rebuilding in a fairly public way is the best thing the Jets could do from a PR and a competitive standpoint. That's why I think that's the most likely way forward at this point. PR + competitive stance is a powerful place to be when the football world will be focused on the Jets no matter what they do.

It's also the best position to be in if you think the team is likely to stumble coming out of the gate in 2013, which is fairly likely given new QB - new offense. The media criticism of a 2-4 Jets team will be greatly blunted if it is clear the Jets are in a rebuilding season anyway. Kicking the short kid for being short doesn't sell any papers. Kicking the short kid on stilts on the other hand...

Here's the Jets starting line-up next year for those of you who still do not believe they are in rebuild mode:

WR - Stephen Hill
    LT - D'Brickashaw Ferguson
    LG - vacant (Ducasse/Slauson)
    C - Nick Mangold
    RG - vacant (Brandon Moore - 33 yrs old)
    RT - vacant (Austin Howard)
    TE - vacant (Jeff Cumberland)
    WR- Santonio Holmes
    WR - Jeremy Kerley
    RB - Bilal Powell
    QB - vacant (Mark Sanchez)

CB - Darrelle Revis
    ROLB - vacant (Bryan Thomas - 34 years old)
    RE - Quinton Coples
    RILB - vacant (Demario Davis - playing time very limited this year with slow LB's all around him)
    FS - vacant (Yeremiah Bell - 35 yrs old)
    NT - Kenrick Ellis
    LILB - Davis Harris
    SS - vacant (LaRon Landry - FA *poof*)
    LE - Mo Wilkerson
    LOLB - vacant (Garrett McIntyre)
    RCB - Antonio Cromartie

That's not a healthy starting roster at this point.

#43 Br4d, Dec 29, 2012
  4. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

There is nothing absurd about that prediction at all. That you don't understand why its perfectly plausible is actually funny since it demonstrates your own lack of knowledge about the Jets and the NFL. A 4-5 game turnaround against a weaker schedule w/an improved offense is hardly absurd. Wake up and smell the coffee and try to pay attention and learn something.

5. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Weaker schedule?

We play the NFC South and AFC North. There is no way in hell we're beating New Orleans. Same probably goes for Atlanta. We can probably beat Carolina if it's the first half of the season. As for AFC North, doubtful we can beat the Ravens. Everything else is fairly winnable.

All of these teams will be competitive unlike this year playing the dregs of the NFL.

6. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Wrong Alleycat. My post was about predicting what Woody would do. My answer is that he will replace Sparano - thats what the thread is about: predicting what will happen. Kapeesh?

7. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

Fire Tanny, Sprano, and the rest of the offensive staff. Hire a real GM, and let him decide Rex's fate.

8. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

We'll see Armand. IMHO if we improve the offense and improve the turnover ratio we could win 4/5 more games than we did in 2012 w/o blowing up the organization as some here advocate. I'm not nearly as afraid of the Ravens as you are and am not nearly as pessimistic as the dark siders.

#48 AbdulSalam, Dec 29, 2012
  9. Jon_Snow

Jon_Snow New Member

Everyone would agree next year will be a rebuilding year, but I'm not sure what the point would be of bringing in a new GM and keeping the current HC who will be replaced the following year. It would make more sense to replace the GM and HC together and rebuild under that new foundation.

#49 Jon_Snow, Dec 29, 2012
  10. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i agree that he is vital to the defense, i just cant picture a well respected gm putting up with all of the added things that are rex. especially not coming in to a new job. i just dont see the type of guy i would want running the organization signing up for that. thats ALOT to ask someone to take on.

11. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Do U not realize that we are also one of the dregs of the NFL? :sad:

12. Br4d

If you replace Rex next year without really thinking it all through the Jets will be simultaneously in full rebuild mode on both offense and defense and likely headed for a few bad years as a result.

If you keep Rex or figure out a plan to keep his 46 without him then you are just rebuilding the LB's on the defense and doing the full rebuild on offense.

It may not seem like a big difference but it likely is. It's probably the difference between 4-12 and 8-8 next year. It's probably the difference between no shot at the playoffs and a 20% shot.

The Jets basically have two viable paths to follow going into 2013.

1. They decide to blow the whole thing up and try the Suck for Luck route, although there is no QB worth doing that for in the 2013 draft as of right now.

If they go this route they fire everybody and bring in a new regime.

2. They decide to do a rebuild in place in which they take as much of the cap hit next year as they can and begin to replace key positions as they can.

This route probably sees Rex stay in place and the Jets remain somewhat competitive for 2013 although not a real playoff contender. The fallback for this attempt to save face during the 2013 season is to Suck for Manziel in 2014.

13. RobertTheJr

RobertTheJr Member

The Jets' poor performance was an anomaly - as I'm sure most teams still would rather not face Rex Ryan and the Jets.

The miserable offensive performance is a mystery to many i'm sure. Teams have to prepare as if it will function as it did against the bills, colts, or rams.

Those being the Jets' offensive performance explosions this year. Sad.

14. Jon_Snow

Jon_Snow New Member

I would never endorse a plan to suck to get the first pick in the draft. You have no control over how bad you will suck and whether other teams will out suck you for that pick (KC, Jags, Raiders, Cards, Browns, etc).

All I'm saying is that I'm a firm believer in changing the GM and HC in tandem. If that means one season of suck then so be it.

15. Br4d

If the Jets don't watch it they're going to unintentionally suck for somebody really soon. I think the odds are good that we see a 14 loss Jets team sometime in the next 3 seasons. The key is going to have that be in the season where they can get a Superstar QB not Keyshawn Johnson.

16. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I would imagine one of the biggest selling points of Rex staying is that there isn't a QB in this upcoming draft that's a blue chipper to build around.

So the next best thing is to rebuild the offensive line, which will contribute to Rex's ground and pound, while simultaneously keeping Rex's D in place... and hopefully bringing in a cheap hold the fort QB ala Matt Moore.

17. Jetsjack

Jetsjack New Member

Fires tanny and makes a blockbuster deal for a QB

Too soon?

18. RobertTheJr

RobertTheJr Member

I could see something like this happening. Package Sanchez and a portion of his salary with a 2014 1st round pick and some other perks for a QB.

19. Ben Had

Ben Had Active Member

Which QB are you going to trade for?

20. RobertTheJr

RobertTheJr Member

I don't want them to do this - nor do I know how they would. I am simply saying that I could see the NYJ franchise pulling off something like this.

Between Favre to Tebow, getting Holmes for pennies on the dollar, etc. this franchise has made moves that no one weeks prior had any idea about nor did they know was possible (whether positive or negative moves).

#60 RobertTheJr, Dec 29, 2012