Rex Ryan allegedly says he would welcome firing if Woody doesnt invest in changes.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NFL, Dec 28, 2012.

1. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

Just goes to show how much of a clown Rex really is. Instead of buckling down and standing up for himself, digging his feet in and taking control, he asks to be fired instead of resigning.

2. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Does Rex ever take any responsbilitiy for the offense? Sprano is his hiring, he loved Holmes and treats Sanchez like a son. I disagree with Rex being a hot comodity for head coaching openings. He would be good on TV and as a coordinator.

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Sparano felt like a Rex hire at the time he was brought in. Now it's not clear whether he was a Rex hire or a Tanny hire. We'll probably never know for sure although once Tanny and Sparano leave we may find out more.

4. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

Enough of this clown, and his complete inability to keep his mouth shut or put a thin filter on. Look,....we all know where this trainwreck is headed. LOL at the people that say "give him another year". Another year for what? -- to eff up the team worse than it is? Ask yourself, - are you even the slightest bit confident that Rex can right this ship?
    The ship was way off course last year and things GOT WORSE!!!!!!

5. The_Darksider

Here's where the gray area starts to annoy me - isn't Rex responsible for hiring his own coaching staff? I mean, he obviously won't pay them and have all say, but you would think that a guy that's running the show would want some serious input into who his assistants are - otherwise, why bother being the head coach?

6. NFL

NFL Active Member

He's not throwing them under the bus if everyone knows Sparano or all the other staff isn't any good.

7. The_Darksider

By going to media and saying "my offensive staff sucks, fire me if you don't ugrade them" he most certainly is. I don't know a single person who would be ok with their supervisor doing that publicly.

I have no problem with him going to Woody privately and stating this, but Rex has proven that he's lacking in the right kind of balls. The balls Rex has is more like "wow, you've got some pair on you".

8. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

I find this scenario hard to believe. There was so much tape on Tebow from last year, and hell the Jets played against him last season. The book on Tebow has been that he can't take a snap from center, read the defense and work his normal progressions like an NFL QB. The poor mechanics and inaccuracy are only part of the problem.

He can run the football very well, run the read option, and hit his first (and sometimes second) WR. He is at his best rolling out to left and cutting the field in half (thus cutting down/simplfying his reads)

The coaching staff knew Tebow's weaknesses and strengths. They played him last year.

Rex would have to be bat shit crazy to think his QB coach could fix Tebow, when they can't even fix Sanchez.

I think Woody wanted Tebow, and Rex's attitude was probably like "uh, ok I'll take him". Sporano likely wanted no part of running a read option offense with Tebow as that would make him look bad in his first year as an OC.

I don't think Tebow resisted the switch, I just think he was bad at it. He can't really run routes or catch. He looked even more unnatural at H-Back then he did under center in the preseason.

If the Jets wanted to switch his position, I think he'd be great lined up in the backfield as a HB/FB in a Mike Alstott role, with the added dimension that he can throw the ball better than a traditional HB.

The problem was the coaching staff isn't all that creative, Tebow is focused on wanted to be a traditional QB (I WANNA PLAY REGULAR QUARTERBACK COACH!), and the Jets lack talent on the offensive side of the ball to make anything look good.

9. NFL

NFL Active Member

He is supposed to hire his own staff yeah, but what he is saying is that the budget is so low that they have to settle for mediocrity instead of hiring the beat possible.

10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Didn't Herm pull something similar to this just to get to Kansas City a few years back? He pissed of Woody to the point that Woody took a DP as comp. Now if Rexy ain't careful, he'll piss off Woody too. Jet HC's that piss off Woody Johnson never fare well. Jusk as Herm and Eric Mangini. Rex isn't THAT bulletproof that he can backchannel Woody into doing anything at all. 2 back to back AFCCG losses just doesn't give Rex that much grace. Especially after how things are going last season and this season in the PR arena.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The reason I thought Sparano was a Rex hire at the time was that Schotty had been pushed on him when he was originally hired. I figured nobody would be arrogant enough to force two straight OC's on his head coach. I still think the odds favor Sparano being Rex's hire from that notion alone.

It's possible that Rex actually didn't get to pick an OC during the first 4 years of his tenure with the Jets, in which case I completely understand his desire to get himself fired at this point. If the offense is what is bringing you down and you never got to hire an OC, well that just sucks.

12. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

This article comes from "sources", it isn't like Rex came out with this, 99 times out of 100 it's complete BS. But in the event it is true it was leaked by someone within the organizaion, and reporting on closed door meetings among management.

That is hardly Rex throwing anyone under the bus, as the HC if he isn't calling for Sparano's firing and an overhaul of the offense then Rex would really need to go.

13. The_Darksider

That makes sense. If that is the case, he's justified but I sitll think it shouldn't be public and still think he should be a big enough man to just say "fuck you" and resign.

14. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

He'd rather get fired. Saying "Fuck You" and resigning means he'd lose out on millions of dollars. Can't say I blame him.

15. APK 8

APK 8 Well-Known Member

You guys crack me up with your embarrassing self righteousness.

Rex has the Jets by the balls and he knows it - just as Herm Edwards did in 2005. Rex already has his next job lined up. One of the many head coaching openings will be his. What other candidates has his resume? Some Jet fans don't think he will get another job? You probably said the same thing about Eric Mangini.

What Rex is giving us is the tough medicine we cannot swallow as fans - if massive changes aren't made to the offense the Jets will suck next season regardless of the coach.

This is the smart leverage play by Rex. He gets paid for two more seasons whether he is here or not. Nobody here would resign and walk away from $8 million. Rex has simply put the ball in Woody's court. Even if he doesn't get a coaching job, he will get a nice TV gig where he will get paid by the Jets and a network to boot. Just like Herm and Mangini!

And those of you with the "Don't let the door hit you in the ass" attitude - that is laughable. Rex is mocking you. Rex can accurately say to you "Go hire a better coach. Good luck with that. Champ 69 just posted a list of coaches which shows that you do not have the ability to upgrade over me. In you won't do better. And I get the last laugh because you know deep down that I will get hired again and will one day bring my team into Woody's palace and kick the Jets ass. So instead of having the door hit me in the rear, I invite you to kiss my lap banded but still immense butt."

16. The_Darksider

That's a pretty funny ending, actually made me laugh out loud.

But seriously, do you think bumbling, stumbling, arrogant-without-reason Rex is shrewd enough to think that way? No one would hire him as a head coach right now unless it was some bottom of the barrel team looking to make headlines. If he wants to go to Jacksonville, Arizona, Oakland (which would be PERFECT) and rebuild those lousy franchises, let him.

17. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

You are interpreting it that Rex is saying Johnson needs to spend more money on staff? Rex picked Sparano himself. I highly doubt that Woody is tightening the purse string on assistant coaches.

18. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

I agree with this. I know people like to say it's Mehta and his anonymous sources again, but the Jets never go after him and cry bullshit. In fact, they get questioned about some of the stuff he writes and basically acknowledge it.

An example would be when Mehta's sources said teammates were ripping Tebow. Rex and Tanny were questioned about it. Instead of saying if there is no source, or it didn't happen, Rex said he was disappointed, addressed it in team meetings, and wants players to put their names to it. WTF?? I think the Jets players trust the guy because he keeps stuff anonymous and doesn't fuck them over. I also think some higher ups use him to leak info.

19. TheBlairThomasFumble

TheBlairThomasFumble Active Member

You guys know that MM is taking all of his cues from the Daily News/New York Post playbook circa 77-80, right? The two papers ran stories like this when covering the Yankees. Substitute Tebow and Sanchez for Reggie Jackson and T. Munson, Ryan and Bob Lemon for Rex and Sporano and WJ for George and you get the Florham PK Circus instead of the Bronx Zoo.

That said, I'm not sure reporters back then used unnamed sources.

20. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Really?
    [​IMG]