The Heresy of trading Revis.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 1968jetsfan, Nov 28, 2012.

?

What do you think Revis could bring in trade?

Poll closed Jan 3, 2013.
  1. Top 10

36.8%
  2. Top 20

34.2%
  3. Top 32

10.5%
  4. 2nd rounder

2.6%
  5. 2nd rounder with Conditional

7.9%
  6. 3rd rounder with Conditional

2.6%
  7. Other

5.3%
  1. scarfnation

scarfnation New Member

In 2013, Revis will play for the NE patriots, and he will have 3 picks in 2 games against the jets.

2. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

This is possible unless Jets trade him to a team of their choice.

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Sentimental or not, you don't get rid of a future HOF. Redskins tried doing that with Champ Bailey - I don't think that worked out so well. Now Champ is on his way to that HOF career and a potential SB berth if they can get past N.E.

If Cromartie continues to play at this level he will need to be resigned as well. He's a FA after next season. I'd rather try and bring back Revis then resign Cromartie to a big deal.

4. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Yes you do!!!
    If keeping said HOF will further cripple your team's ability to sign players, if this HOF is likely to be gone regardless of team's actions, if trading HOF gives your team a chance to rebuild and become compatitive -- you most certainly do.

5. 101GangGreen101

I agree but I also think the issue is also that there is A LOT of money tied up to that CB position between Revis, Cromartie and Wilson. Wilson 2.8 against the cap, Cromartie was 8.2. Combine that with Revis and his 11 mil and that's far too much money tied to the position.

I would only want to trade Revis if we got a great package in return. Meaning picks this year as well as next. A 2 this year and a 2 next year for example. It would have to be from a team like the Raiders.

6. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

The way I see it, holding onto Rives is like showing off a golden watch while sitting neck-deep in shit. It shines, pretty, but you still stink.

What you're hoping for (4 total picks) would be fantastic -- like moving from sewer to a palace. The problem is that seeing how desperate Jets are, no one would offer a palace. So how about we trade the golden watch for a decent apartment first -- 2 high picks plus 5th or 6th. Let's move out of the crapper and then see what happens.

7. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

why dont you get rid of HOFer? The Jets have about 8 holes. And we've already seen this year, that the secondary is not one of them. You want to toi up all that money in one player that marginally improves this teamif he wereto walk onto the field right now?

Id rater save the gigantic money and fix 4 or 5 holes.

You guys can suck Revis' balls all you want but he willA LWAYS be a CORNER. End of story.

8. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

the Raiders don't have a 2 this year and if Revis wanted to get traded he would go to a team that is a contender, not the Raiders.

9. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

we are never going to get equal value for Revis. draft picks are a big risk because the players could turn out to be busts, so essentially we could be trading our best player for possible busts.

10. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

LOL, yeah I did. Who signed him?

You know who else paid attention? Everyone else in the NFL. Trading for him has to come with a guarantee for the team he goes to also. No one will want to give up a first or second and a conditional pick for a guy who will fuck them over.

Trading him won't be as easy as some of you think despite his talent.

11. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

The people on this site... For 1, Cro isn't a FA until after 2014. Revis won't be playing for any AFC East team in 2013, let alone the Pats because he is still under contract. If he ever did sign with them it wouldn't be until 2014. The Raiders are pick desperate because of that idiotic Carson Palmer trade, that was a terrible decision. We really can keep both all star CB's, but we have to make our game plan around that. We need better edge setters for LB's because we make up for no pass-rush with our great coverage. Our offense is the only thing that is trully terrible. When I say we should trade Revis, it is only if we can get certain things in return, and that would make us a better overall team. We can play shut down D but we need a few very very important things on Offense. 2 RB's and a QB. That's why I say get Alex Smith, Steven Jackson, and an RB with Leon Washington/Darren Sproles/LaDainian Tonlinson like abilities.

12. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

I agree for the most part. I think having both Revis and Cromartie is a little excessive seeing as how successful our D was this year with only 1 of them, though. My ideal scenario is as follows: Revis is healthy, we sign him to a long deal, we trade Cromartie since he as at his peak in value for some good picks and we use those picks to get some RBs, OL, an OLB. We should use FA this year to get a vet QB and should draft a franchise QB in 2014.

13. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

What is the point of signing a vet QB?

If you expect this vet to lead Jets to at least 2 nd round of PO, I'd understand. The holes you described, plus weak WR, will not likely to be filled in one off season so chances of getting deep into playoff with any vet QB available are slim. If this is the case, again: what's the point of signing a vet QB? I'd rather spend $$, if there are any, on further patching the holes.

14. 101GangGreen101

Completely flew by you. I'd rather take my chance and resign Revis now then to resign Cromartie 2 seasons down the line. We could lose both and have Kyle Wilson going against #1s. Have that trade offer available in-case Revis declines the offers. There's no way around it someone's getting paid.

15. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

You don't trade away your best player for cap purposes. Sacrifice elsewhere. Keep Revis. He has been stud in every game he played.

16. Flyboy

Flyboy Active Member

Man, letting Revis leave us would be the worse decision this team can make. I wouldn't even trade him for two first round picks, regardless of what they are.

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

What makes you think the Jets can keep Revis at this point?

Here's my take on this. If you really want to throw the keys to the vault at Revis and lock him up long-term the way to do that is to trade him now for what you can get and then participate in the auction for his services after 2013. That's the only place the Jets can lock up Revis long-term anyway.

Unless the Jets throw more money at him than any player has ever gotten before he is going free agent in 2013. He's going to want to see what Darrelle Revis is worth on the open market. There's nothing the Jets can do to stop that except throw maybe $100 million at him for the next 6 seasons.

When he hits the open market the Jets can make that same $100 million offer and get him back. They'll also have whatever picks they managed to get out of the team they trade him too.

What is a year of Darrelle Revis play worth to the Jets? Maybe a 2nd round pick?

18. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I am hoping the front office can do a good negotiation with Revis and find a way to keep him here long term. This is a Pass first league and a weapon like Revis will help your D tremendously.

I like how D line is coming up. Mo, Q and Ellis are emerging nicely. If we find a way to keep CB's Revis and Cro, we will have an excellent D in coming years.

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

There's no good negotiation with Revis. He's just going to go for the bucks every time.

The Jets had the leverage in both of the holdouts and he still didn't come in until he got a big front-loaded deal. This time he's going to have all the leverage on his side. There's no way he agrees to a deal the Jets can live with. He'll need to hit the market first unrestricted and see what he's worth.

This just is what it is. The team-first Darrelle Revis doesn't exist when it comes to his compensation. Only the me-first Revis shows up in those situations.

20. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

This type of blind stubborness is the reason why teams can't move from status quo. In Jets' case this status quo is sitting neck deep in a pile of shit bragging to possess one golden piece.