The Heresy of trading Revis.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 1968jetsfan, Nov 28, 2012.

?

What do you think Revis could bring in trade?

Poll closed Jan 3, 2013.
  1. Top 10

36.8%
  2. Top 20

34.2%
  3. Top 32

10.5%
  4. 2nd rounder

2.6%
  5. 2nd rounder with Conditional

7.9%
  6. 3rd rounder with Conditional

2.6%
  7. Other

5.3%
  1. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Why wouldn't the Jets be able to resign him?

2. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

lol, have you paid attention to the first two negotiations???

Revis needs to be traded. Cro has shown that the defense is fine with just him. Even with the ACL we could get a first or more.

3. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

If the Jets are able to extend Revis's contract this offseason, we should be trading Cro instead. If we CANNOT, we should trade Revis.

It's as simple as that IMO.

4. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

We better not trade him until we make damn sure we have Landry locked up though.

The other thing is there won't be as many teams interested in him as people think as far as a trade. It's going to have to be a team with open $$ and a very poor secondary. As much as Revis might like to go to Pitt, he's not the type of player they'll be looking for. Revis is worth a 1rst round pic, but there might not be a team willing to give up theirs this year.

The truth is most of us know jack-sh** about contracts and cap space so we can't really assume Tanny can't make it work with Revis. The truth is, Revis will take a deal if we offer it this offseason, because he knows he might go down week 1 with another injury and as long as the deal is fair to him, he'd take it. I think if trading him doesn't net what he is worth, extend him now because he is no doubt very valuable to our D, and he won't come cheaper than right now. He knows Cro and Landry have made him dispensable, and Free Agency runs the risk of him having to take a deal from a POS organization or him getting hurt again and then being in Landry's shoes last year, signing a 1 year deal to prove himself again. IMO if the Jets don't extend him or trade him this offseason their making a huge mistake.

Cro should get an extension as well, we signed him with our backs to the wall so we now can make his contract better for us. If they want to trade Cro for space, teams may be more friendly to taking him because he will be very helpful to them but not cost as much as Revis. BUT absolutely do not trade him unless Revis is extended already.

5. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

Trade Revis.
    We lost him in game 3 and we STILL finished 2nd in the entire NFL for least passing yards allowed for the year.
    We need the draft picks.

6. MaximusD163

You tell me what team wants to drop their first round pic for him that drafts higher than us? I wouldn't be able to see him go for less than a first.

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

No team is going to drop a 1st on Revis this year. The injury likely prevented that possibility. It's going to be a 2nd and a conditional pick based on how he plays this year and whether or not the receiving team is able to lock him up long-term.

That's still better than losing him for a compensation pick.

8. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

WAS doesn't have 1st rounder anyway. The best bet in term of pick riches, is SF.
    If they offered, would you take 2nd, 3rd and 6th?

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

2nd and 3rd from a playoff team is probably low for Revis even off the injury. If somebody offered us top of the 2nd plus top of the 3rd without conditions I think you bite on that.

Again, this is not about what Revis is worth from a play value perspective. It's about what he's worth to the Jets from the perspective of they only have his services for one more year and then maybe the chance to destroy the cap to extend that. They don't even have a guaranteed way to pay through the nose for him because they have no franchise tag to hold over him. In 2014 Revis is a UFA and he'll go wherever he sees the best opportunity both financially and competitively. That's not going to be the Jets in the middle of a QB transition.

10. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

In this years draft there is a fairly good possibility of getting a 1st, but not in the top 10. Which is a shame, because the Eagles would be a perfect fit. They are looking for a CB and they have a lot of cap space, especially if they let Vick go. But they're in line for a #4 pick and no way they part with that for Revis. But, depending on how the final week plays out there are a couple of teams that would make good matchs potentially.

11. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Revis is CORNERback, not a QUARTERback. Trade him so we can get a decent QB and get rid of our bust Marky Mark.

12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Good luck trying to make that trade. I don't even think you can do that in Madden. I would rather keep Revis and trade Cromartie ... Revis should retire a Jet. Who cares that teams haven't won SBs with HOF CBs. Jets can be that team once the offense is fixed.

13. SuperBowl50

SuperBowl50 Member

Why would you trade him when his value is so low? Trading him at the end of training camp or even the first few weeks of the season would yield a lot more value. In any case, he's not going to want to get traded unless he gets an extension and he's not going to make as much money if he signs so early. Thus, he's not going to want to agree to an extension. I'm guessing that means we get him for another year.

14. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I would dangle both Revis and Cromartie with the intention of trading only one. I'd ask for a 2013 1st and a conditional 2014 pick (3rd that could turn into a 1st) for Revis and a 2013 2nd and a conditional 2014 (4th that could turn into a 2nd) pick for Cromartie. Obviously it would be negotiable depending on where those picks are right now. If Cromartie is the one who gets traded, try to extend Revis for a relatively cheap deal.

15. MaximusD163

Revis would take a contract right now, don't be mistaken. Players only reject a contract from one team that they would take from another team in very certain situations, basically right before they are a FA. Revis has another year, so he would sign now if we offered the right deal. I'd hate to see any team get Revis for less than a 1st, maybe we trade Revis and our 1st to the Eagles for their 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 2014 conditional. That way we could get the #4 pick, 2nd's and 2 3rds this year, plus have enough cap space to sign Shaun Phillips...

I'd still rather have 2 mid round 1st's and Shaun Phillips than the #4 overall though. I guess a 2nd and 3rd might be worth it...

16. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

Speaking of WHO CARES, who cares if Revis retires a Jet? There are arguments for and against trading him but the sentimental bullshit should not come into play.

17. MaximusD163

As much as it is awesome to have claim to an all time great, this is the truth.

18. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

This is all just so sad.

I don't mean to get too off-topic, but the upcoming Revis situation speaks volumes about how poorly the Jets have managed their talent level, particularly on offense. Revis led a defense designed to protect small margin leads, and, since the offense can't stay on the field, much less acquire a lead, it's all for naught. And now it appears that best move would be to trade away the Jets' best defensive player in a generation -- the only Jet drafted in the past two decades who has a chance to make it into the HOF. While I understand that the HOF doesn't mean much in terms of wins/losses/championships, it's a victory for a franchise and, more importantly, a fan base that hasn't had much to cheer about.

I don't know whether trading him is the right move, but I sure wish that it wasn't and that the Jets could keep him.

19. AlToon

AlToon Member

Revis is gone after 2013. He can void his contract. The guy is world class athlete. He will rehab the knee and come back strong. The Jets can't place their franchise tag on him. The Jets are not going to be a good team in 2013.

The agent said he could envision a scenario in which the Jets, unwilling to meet Revis' demands, try to deal him before the 2013 trading deadline. Of course, they'd have to find a team willing to compensate the Jets and accept the risk-reward of a mega-contract.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/sto...ts-darrelle-revis-his-contract-drama-plays-on

Unless the Jets want to pay him big,big money,Revis will be gone.

20. AlmightyRevis

AlmightyRevis Member

I care...and I'm not the only one.