The Heresy of trading Revis.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 1968jetsfan, Nov 28, 2012.

?

What do you think Revis could bring in trade?

Poll closed Jan 3, 2013.
  1. Top 10

36.8%
  2. Top 20

34.2%
  3. Top 32

10.5%
  4. 2nd rounder

2.6%
  5. 2nd rounder with Conditional

7.9%
  6. 3rd rounder with Conditional

2.6%
  7. Other

5.3%
  1. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Cousins looked better than he is because of Kyle Shanahans game plan. He's decent and may be good/serviceable but don't be fooled, he's most likely not going to be elite. Thinking about trading Revis for Cousins makes me want to barf. If the skins are smart they'll flip him for a 2nd round pick.

#201 74, Dec 24, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Revis is not holding out. He tried to fake a hold out for an extension last year but he had no intention of doing that. He won't even fake it this year. There's too much at stake for him to lose the upper hand in the contract talks for any reason and not having the last 3 years of the deal void is losing the upper hand.

He also needs to have a topflight season this year to re-establish his value on the open market.

He's not holding out.

3. wildaces

wildaces Banned

I first mentioned this awhile ago, and well before he started for Griffin. Also, I don't want to trade Revis for Cousins, I want to trade Revis and Sanchez for Cousins. Big difference!

4. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Haha yes that is a big difference. It would be a shame if we lost our best player just because we need to dump Sanchez's dumbass contract.

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Kirk Cousins was a 4th round pick. The odds on him being a good QB are long.

To give you an idea, Mike Shanahan has found a decent QB in the 3rd round before. His name was Brian Griese. He started 83 games in the NFL. I'll bet you Cousins doesn't get half that number even if somebody trades for him and makes a commitment.

6. NFL

NFL Active Member

Revis and Sanchez for Cousins? Wow, I understand that you want to get rid of Sanchez's contract, but what have you seen in Cousins that you would like to trade the best defensive player in the NFL for?

7. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

To me trading Revis this off season depends on three factors: if you know you can resign him then you don't trade him. how his Medical condition is and what value you can get for him. Anything that doesn't result in at least a first isnt worth it.

8. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

For a 1st this year and a conditional 1st in the next, I would pack his bags and drive Rievis to the airport.

For a 1st this year and a conditional anything I would pull the trigger.

Revis cannot hold out this year to get the void option. Of course he can fake an injury or take forever to come back from this one, which will only hurt his own $$$ value.

9. Backup QB

Backup QB Active Member

Trading Revis would mean a lot of people on TGG would have to change their screen names and avatars. It's not worth the hassle.

No trade. ;)

10. 1968jetsfan

another thing to factor is I really think it will take 2-3 years to get this team fully back on it's feet, by that time Revis will be on the wrong side of 30.

11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

If I can get a first (even early 2nd) rounder this year, and a first rounder and 3rd from a really bad team I would accept it. It would be worth it because in 2014, there are decent QBs coming out

12. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Trade Holmes.

13. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

I would trade Revis AND our first to move up to the #1 overall pick this year, if the plan is to get Smith and rebuild the offense.

14. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

The truth is trading Revis may be exactly what this team needs, it will free up cap space for a free agent signing of a proven OLB like Shaun Phillips from the Chargers, then we hopefully end up with 2 first round picks in the 2013 draft. We have Cro who is playing the shutdown corner and wilson who is playing well. We can sign Landry back, which will make part 3 of a #2 pass defense and strengthen our secondary against the run. We have a 1st rounder to use on BPA and one for team need. Resign Bell for 2 years hoping that Antonio Allen can maybe take over starting in 2014. Cut pace as well, and Bart scott, and that leaves our D in the shape of... Wilkerson, Ellis, Coples on the line. McIntyre, Harris, Davis, Phillips for LB's. Wilson, Landry, Bell, Cro for the secondary. That sounds pretty nice to me. The entire D from this year is pretty much still there, except Phillips is added.

For Offense, we now have Holmes, Edwards, Kerley, and Hill at WR, so that's set for a year. We have Brick and Mangold, so I say re-sign Slauson and use one of our first rounders on an OG. Use the other first on BPA, a big time RB would be great. to finish out the line, bring back Austin Howard at RT. Sign Alex Smith!!! He and Sanchez can compete. for TE, we have Cumberland and (re-sign) Keller, he won't cost much. So with this done, we have need at RB, TE (Maybe Hayden Smith steps up?) #3 CB, S, LB. Nearly all of those needs are simply for depth, except the big one of RB. We need a solid 1-2 Punch at RB. so, let Greene walk, grab Steven Jackson. Find a back somewhere in the draft that can be the #2 guy (remember that 1st round BPA we have) and fill out the rest of those depth needs with our draft. Solid team, no Revis. BTW Revis is my favorite player in the League, but I'd rather have #24 in another color than watch another embarrassing season like this.

Someone tell me where they think I can make improvements in this scenario.

EDIT: Nothing wrong with grabbing a WR in the draft for depth too.

15. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

If Revis was healthy I would trade him.

But you can't trade him coming off this injury, his value is a lot lower now. He will be playing for a contract in 2013 and trying to show teams he is 100%.

He will be an asset in 2013.

16. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

So trade Revis to get rid of Sanchez

No trade Revis to get picks lol

No trade Revis to free up cap space for Shaun Philips

17. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Where will we get enough cap space to make quality changes then? I guess they are just going to be resigned to suck terribly on offense... IDK

If we extend Cro making his contract more cap friendly, and extend Revis after his injury year we can make both overall numbers more cap friendly, that may help. If you draft really really smart you can get a 1st round OG and #2 RB in the second. We can cut B Scott and C Pace which would basically create room for Shaun Phillips. So where do we have money to get Alex Smith or Steven Jackson or bring back Landry?

18. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Thank Mike Tannenbaum for the cap problems.

But there will be cuts and FAs leaving which will free up space.

Plus we have carry over cap money unused from this season which will provide aid.

19. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

trade Cro.

FWIW, Steven Jackson absolutely will not come here and Alex Smith isn't a good fit here. JMO.

20. 1968jetsfan

For those saying Revis will be an asset in 2013 because he's playing for a new contract. That helps us how? Do you really think the Jets will be competitive in 2013? Do you really think the Jets can resign him in 2014? If you keep him in 2013 and he rebuilds his value he's gone. Jets get nothing.

if you can not resign him for 2014, keeping him in 2013 only builds false hope for 2013, and again mortgages the future just to feel good in 2013.