The Tannenbaum Thread (likely to "be relieved" Monday)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TheBlairThomasFumble, Dec 24, 2012.

1. laxin

laxin Active Member

Because he's incompetent and is the one that got us in this mess. Its like your girlfriend still being best friends with her ex...

2. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Report:Jets Have Begun Search For New GM

Good news as it looks like the Jets have begun to feel around for a New GM

3. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Hopefully they look to hire someone from the following teams

Steelers
    Ravens
    Giants
    Packers
    Patriots
    49ers

4. LongIslandBlitz

The director for college scouting for the Texans doesn't sound to me like a GM type I hope the Jets don't bungle this shit, He sounds like a scout

5. laxin

laxin Active Member

Well at least he can spot talent then, and is a football guy. We can not say the same about our current GM.

6. LongIslandBlitz

My thought is there gonna try and find someone who is ok with Rex as head coach and if there not they will move along,When it's all said and done Rex will be the only familar face back with the franchise next year as far as coaches and staff. Alot of them are leaving on there own and alot will be fired. Theres no gurantee Rex will be back until woody comes out and says so at some point or we here whispers

7. J1 tailgate

J1 tailgate Member

+1. As a fellow 128er, I feel your pain. Some great fans in our area but so many new faces each week including opposition fans as well as the #15 drama. Our 4-12 seasons were far less stressful. Better days are coming.

8. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

No one from those franchises will come here

Our best bet is a guy from Atlanta, Seattle or Tampa Bay

9. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Your name is stats, no?

SteelersJints..low many VLTs?

Stability..or instability?

I would argue, that the roster N BOTH sides of the ball is complete..we need an OC no more.

You are the brightest guy here.

Counter? Rt is a given btw....

10. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

you know the steelers didnt have a gm in their history until just recently.

you realize that kevin colbert never misses, especially on first round draft picks?

you do understand that the steelers dont have success because of consistency but they have consistency because of success?

i mean it just makes sense, if you have a group that is good you keep them. if you dont you get rid of them.

otherwise denny green would still be coaching the lions.

11. lakersmetsjets49ers

I agree on all levels.

The thing is most fans wouldn't tolerate a 2-3 year rebuilding project even if the result was sustained success and being a contender regularly for a while.

Regarding Tanny, his philosophy on going for big name free agents and treating draft picks as expendable. That's not how you win in the NFL. Aside from the 94 niners and 95 cowboys (teams who were in long term salary cap hell a few years later I may add) has a team won a Super Bowl with the big home run free agent signing.

Most fans have minimal knowledge of football and think that playing armchair qb and having a fantasy football mindset would work in an actual nfl front office and its funny to me. Here's one example and I can name many more, in 1987 pacer fans wanted to draft the hometown boy and hero Steve Alford. The pacers didn't submit to fan pressure and drafted this guy named Reggie miller who was the face of the team for 18 years while Alford was a nobody. I can provide other examples but giving in to a fanbase who demands players and coaches being fired and demands certisn players being signed is a recipie for disaster.

With that said Tanny has had his time to get the job done and hasn't and his approach historically doesn't win in the nfl. He should be replaced.

Firing Rex would be stupid though. People calling for bill cowher probably have no clue that teams he coached lost 4 times at home in the afc title game. Jet fans woulda been calling for his head after the 2nd home afc title game loss. He had his down years and losing seasons. 7-9 in 98, 6-10 in 99 they were calling for his head at that time and they stunk in 03. All years when the qb stunk for them. Hell prior to winning Super Bowl 40 in his 14th season as the coach he had a label for not being able to win the big game.

Same with Sean Payton, another guy put on a pedestal. From the NFC title game in 06 to 7-9 in 07 and 8-8 in 08.

Bottom line is those teams had down years. In the saints case their track record for success was worse then the jets prior to the last few years.

Bottom line these coaches had down years when the talent on the team wasnt as good as it was in prior years, the team kept them and they got results when the teams had better players.

Do everything to improve the team this offseason by whoever the gm is rather then fire the coach when players hes given suck.

12. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Best Christmas gift we as Jets fans could receive! :beer:

13. LongIslandBlitz

I don't buy into this report they are trying to appease Jet fans on the night before Christmas. The season isn't even over yet and they "say" they are feeling around for GM's, I doubt it they always lie and I smell bullshit. There is plenty of time to find a new GM all of a sudden there looking 1 day before Christmas??? Sounds to good to be true. The Jets PR department was behind this shit. They always preech about there closed door policy and they "won't discuss futures" until the season is over,

#233 LongIslandBlitz, Dec 24, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  14. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

As long as they get rid of him with plenty of time for the new GM to come in and hire people and evaluate talent before the draft.

15. LongIslandBlitz

Why not NY is the biggest market in the NFL and if you come here and do good and have an impact it will look good on your resume for sure

16. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

The report about Tanny staying on as a cap guy would be total horsesh*t.

If you fire this guy then you get rid of him completely. You don't keep him on the payroll even if it's in a non personnel role on principle alone. Not to mention if Tanny starts challenging the new GM in terms of making decisions. That would be another huge mess. Woody needs to make sure that Tanny is no longer associated with the Jets in any capacity. This will be the first good move of the offseason.

17. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Were like the Mets to the Giants Yankees

Woody is too involved and if a guy fails here he'd be lucky to get another job

18. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

If Woody keeps Tannenbaum in any capacity it would be a huge mistake. Let the guy go. He did some good things but these last two seasons failures can be largely attributed to his shitty contracts and his piss poor player selection. If he is retained, we will continue to see the same bullshit. We need someone who will be able to scout players, and give players reasonable contracts.

19. Sanchize0829

Sanchize0829 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know who the hell we could hire from Seattle? I know John Schneider is the GM, and thats clearly not happening. However, who from that team is running their draft? Who is their assistant GM?

That franchise is where we should look for a GM. They have done a great job building a physical, athletic, young team.

20. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Man, that thread title threw me off. I thought it was saying that Woody himself may take over Tanny's role at GM. I was like, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :lol: