The Heresy of trading Revis.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 1968jetsfan, Nov 28, 2012.

?

What do you think Revis could bring in trade?

Poll closed Jan 3, 2013.
  1. Top 10

36.8%
  2. Top 20

34.2%
  3. Top 32

10.5%
  4. 2nd rounder

2.6%
  5. 2nd rounder with Conditional

7.9%
  6. 3rd rounder with Conditional

2.6%
  7. Other

5.3%
  1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

You consider that a plus at this point?

I wish the Jets current identity, the one they've had since 2011 began, would get buried in a deep hole somewhere never to be seen again.

2. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

im talking about on defense

3. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Trade Revis?

Why not trade Revis to a pick- and cap-rich team that struggles against the pass? Cro did a very serviceable job in his absence. Now consider that Revis will likely try to extract a large contract from Jets who are cash-strapped and will probably be holding out.

The very top of the list would be Miami: has 10 picks in the upcoming draft and about 4.5M cap space. They can definitely use an upgrade at CB with 246 yards per game allowed this season. The downside will be trading within division to a hated rival and playing against Revis twice/year. Similar things have been done before (Bledsoe to Bill from NE), but that was when BB knew he as giving away a bust, which is probably not the case here.

Next candidate is SF: 11 picks, 3.4M cap. They are much better against the pass at 199 ypg, but I believe this is because severe pass rush, not stellar CB play so facing the prospect of getting a star CB in exchange for draft picks, they might be interested.

Next is WAS with 8 picks available and almost 9M cap room. They are worse than MIA against the pass with 288 ypg allowed (3rd worst in NFL). I'm sure they'd live to shut down NFC's top WRs twice a year.

Lastly, MIN: 8 picks, 10.5M cap space and middle of the pack against the pass.

Of course the whole thing is predicated on Jets getting rid of Tanny and getting a real talent evaluator – no amount of picks will halp you if you keep drafting mostly crap.

The stats for cap is taken from here:
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82a421db/article/available-salarycap-space-for-all-32-nfl-teams

Available picks from here:http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/2013/nfl_draft_order_full.cfm

Pass stats: http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?seasonType=REG&offensiveStatisticCategory=null&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=PASSING_NET_YARDS_GAME_AVG&tabSeq=2&season=2012&role=OPP&Submit=Go&archive=false&conference=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=TEAM_PASSING&qualified=false

#183 RuJFan, Dec 24, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  4. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

I would absolutely under no circumstances trade Revis to a divisional opponent. I dont care what they are paying. I actually would prefer to trade Cro in general. His value is at it's peak and we would save a little money toward the cap.

5. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

Revis to the Seahawks for Bobby Wagner and a First Round Pick? If only...

6. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

He is untradable until he can prove that he can still play at the same level and that will take a year to prove. Except maybe in another screw the Jets Tannenbaum special.

7. I Am The Stig

I Am The Stig Active Member

Trade Revis to Miami??? What the hell?

8. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

My first concern is getting Jets better, lets worry about Miami after we are actually competitive. That said, I'd prefer SF to MIA, but won't mind inside division if it gets us out of the shit hole.

9. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

He already showed that, coming back from injury. Yes, this is not as before, but I'm sure someone desperate enough will bite, like WAS.

10. TurkJetFan

You simply do not under any circumstances trade an All-World player within your division, and you could even argue your conference.

11. TurkJetFan

what has he shown? he hasn't stepped on a field yet?

why trade Revis now when his value has taken a hit even if temporary...Cro is the guy who should be traded. Cap savings to be had plus his value is as high as it will ever be.

12. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Trading Revis is better. First, he is a prettier eye candy and would induce a better deal. Second, his holdout habits will become a huge problem real soon. What trade value would he be when everyone knows Jets must trade him because his $$ demands cannot be complied with by Jets?

13. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

This is not a good enough reason. Blind following if such knee-jerk "rules" guarantees you'll not get a break through. True not just in football, but in life in general. If ttading to MIA gives us the shorted path to competitiveness, MIA it is.

14. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

didn't he miss several games oast year and came back well?

15. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

oh and one more thing.
    Note how MIA has 4.5M cap space? Let them have Revis and give us all their picks. In a year they will be the ones who struggle to fit him into the cap with few prospects on the horizon.

16. TurkJetFan

Dude no. You DO NOT trade the best CB in the NFL today to a divisional opponent who's weakness is their secondary. Just NO. That makes absolutely no sense and does not help the Jets in any way. You do not drastically strengthen your opponent with the best player at their position in the NFL.

It's not blindly following a rule. It's common sense.

He did not have a ligament tear requiring season ending surgery.

17. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Will he be the best CB after ligament tear?
    And "you just don't do it" is not good enough argument. The whole point of something new is to do something noone else did. Besides, I do not advocate specifically Miami, SF or Was would be better options. My point is Revis should be on the table and Mia should not be excluded.

18. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

In all honesty, Cro's value right now is ALMOST as high as Revis's (since he is injured). We should trade Cro as long as Revis is healthy and we secure his extension.

19. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

securing extension is the key. I expect it won't be easy though. Chances are Revis will hold out again.

20. wildaces

wildaces Banned

No, you let someone else work on a contract for him, who ever the trade partner is. I am a personal advocate of trading Sanchez and Revis to Washington for Kirk Cousins. Washington has no other reason to take Sanchez unless we take Cousins. If not Cousins, draft picks.