So can we stop the Sanchez B.S, and start the Sparano/Howard discussion?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Hobbes3259, Dec 23, 2012.

1. NYJetsMetsCTHuskies

NYJetsMetsCTHuskies Active Member

The number ONE weakness on this team for the last FOUR seasons is your boy Sanchez.

2. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

The o line had it's issues this season, but overall has not been as bad as people are claiming they are, folks are real spoiled by the 08-10 group. This group is better than what a lot of other teams have. I do agree that there needs to be some depth added to the group.

The receiving corp and RB were known issues going into the season. But we have seen Greene and Powell play well these last few weeks, and Kerley and Cumberland has been solid. They may not be great, but the group aren't totally awful.

Last week, we seen Sanchez get adequete time in the pocket and stood there with receivers open (Powell in the flat) and decided to throw in triple coverage. We seen guys like Gates and Schillens who aren't that great per say make big plays.

What happened today was that the Chargers defensive line destroyed the o line. Plus the WR's struggled.

3. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

My whole problem is the OL is supposed to be our strength. The whole ground and pound mentality, yet they haven't been strength. On top of that, when was the last time we improved the OL? When we drafted Vlad? Since then, what have we done? Let Woody walk, let Turner walk and then rush to trade Hunter with one week left in the preseason. The whole idea of this team is the strong OL, to compensate for the lack of elite QB and lack of an elite RB and an elite WR. They aren't doing that and all these below average players are being forced to make plays.

Sanchez has rarely had adequate time. Remember his pick into quadruple coverage? McElroy takes a sack there, Sanchez throws to avoid the sack. Both bad, Sanchez's worse. We haven't seen Gates or Schillens make great plays. We have seen them become adequate wide receivers filling in due to injuries to probably 3/4 top receivers in Holmes, Hill, and Keller. This team has a ton problems including QB. It's prbbaly better to fix those other problems so when the next QB comes in, we don't ruin them

4. The Unicorn

The Unicorn Member

You might say then that the sad thing is that even the D isn't dominant. In fact it hasn't played as well as the '09-'10 defenses.

Well he'd better not be.

The current incarnation of the Jets needs to be torn down. Trying to pry open a window that's snapped closed on them will only prolong the pain.

5. wildaces

wildaces Banned

Your kidding me right? Sanchez is horrible, and even with the 11 sacks today, McElroy was better than Sanchez. Sparano has some learning to do, and I would say down right horrible. Howard is not the problem. I saw the middle of the line get pushed in all day today, but that is mainly because the Defense was coming after the young QB.

6. displacedfan

Howards not a problem? We need to improve on our RT in the future, Howard is part of the problem

7. wildaces

wildaces Banned

We came out running today, and then after the first quarter, we stopped. SD was pinning there ears back, and coming after McElroy. McElroy made 1 bad decision today in 24 pass attempts, and he fumbled while his arm was going back.

McElroy had no time today, but he made some plays. That play where Moore got pushed into McElroy, Sanchez fumbles. 1 game doesn't tell the tale of what an educated QB can do.

8. The 1985er

I'm not arguing that we have no depth on the o line, my point is that the o line has been better than given credit for.

I can literally name games where Sanchez had time in the pocket.

1st NE game Sanchez had solid protection, Bills game, Titans game, Colts game, Rams game etc. he had solid protection, I mean maybe if the Jets switched o lines with the Bears then maybe Jets fans would have better perspective.

9. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Ball should be gone in 3 seconds 60-75 pct of the time that's your OL problem.

10. Hobbes3259

If you. An see San hex having time in the pocket, that's the issue.

11. Hobbes3259

You're daft.

Given the same pieces that got Sanchez benched, and a revamped Wildcat approach, GMac took ELEVEN sacks.

The two are not close in terms of talent.

And if you think Howard is not a problem, you're fooling yourself.

12. The 1985er

He didn't have decent protection in those games?

13. wildaces

wildaces Banned

If we can upgrade, we do it, but Howard is not the problem. If we can upgrade at guard we do it. San Diego was pinning their ears back all day long. That is why it was so effective, and we only did 3 times. We do nothing to help the OL. Our backs and TE's missed chip blocks all day long as well. Also, where the hell are the hot routes.

I am not condoning the play of the OL, but I am not condemning them either.

14. displacedfan

Titans game he didn't have good protection in.

But look at the other games you pointed, Sanchez played decent to well in all of them. I wonder what the common theme was.... Our offense goes through our OL more so than other teams because our lack of an elite skill player on offense. When the OL doesn't perform, we don't have a RB, WR, or QB to pick it up. That's why it's so detrimental when the OL suffers, because the team suffers. We need the OL to played well, but they haven't consistently done so. When they have, we have won games easily, or lost games for other reasons than offensive reasons.
    So year, the OL has not lived up to what we built it up. It is supposed to be a strength, but it isn't. Yes it played average overall throughout the season. It shouldn't be average though. All our success happens when the OL plays well, and it was the same the first 3 years too. Yet we haven't addressed any of OL needs and now we have this average OL where our best OL have to protect the rest of the line. The OL has to perform to the best of their ability consistently for us to be a good team, they haven't done that consistently and we lost a lot of games due to it. On top of that, I don't think our TEs are very good blockers for what it's worth.

15. displacedfan

Howard is part of the problem. We definitely need to upgrade at G, especially with Moore's age otherwise we are going to playing catch up with the OL in a couple years. We need to fix the problem before it happens.

16. wildaces

wildaces Banned

quite a few of the those sacks are on McElroy, a 2nd year redshirt making his first start. A defense that was pinning their ears back the whole game. Even with those 11 sacks, that same QB never lost his poise. He did throw 1 horrible pick on a stupid decision, and he fumbled while his arm was going back. I never compared their talent levels, but I would take intelligence over talent without intelligence every Sunday. However, I am daft, so take it with a grain of salt.

17. displacedfan

I'm not judging McElroy on this, I don't know where you got this idea. I'm 100% McElroy starting next game and then being in competition for starting QB next year.

18. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

the sooner everyone accepts that the entire organization has been a complete pile of shit this year and stops focusing on pieces here and there the better of we will all be.

Owner
    Front Office
    Coaching
    Quarterback
    O-Line
    Running Game
    WR
    TE
    Defense (yes they got burned badly against good opponents)
    Special Teams

Everything has been hot shit. It's over and done with.

19. Hobbes3259

It means he's holding on to the ball...Lin today's NFL!routes are 3 seconds and out,,,,

20. Hobbes3259

A good OC would not have game planned for that? Sprints, draws quick hitters...and the second play of the game tells the story. Sanchez hits Edwards for 7 on 2 and 10. Mac scrambles for no gain.

And as far as exp goes....GMAC is further from his last high school start, than Sanchez.