The Greg McElroy bandwagon (ultimate under-dog)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mambo9, Jun 20, 2012.

1. RobertTheJr

RobertTheJr Member

Sanchez doesn't get sacked 11 times because he tries to force plays - make plays happen. Trust me, after 2-3 games of sack filled games, people will be calling for his head, asking him to get rid of the ball.

2. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Nobody claimed he couldn't throw a nice screen pass. The only nice throws down the field were made by Kerley.

Stop defending the idiotic notion that Mcelroy just needs a chance. It doesn't pass the smell test.

3. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Not for me. I'd rather eat the ball then risk a turnover. Of course, the best thing to do would be to throw it away.

Sanchez has a fundamental inability to do both.

4. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Apparently after Mcelroy was full on ball he started puking them up.

5. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

McElroy showed today why he can be a top 5 QB in this league.

He has all the tools, he just needs his team to show up. Our future is bright folks.

6. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I wasn't aware that he only threw screen passes. Kerley threw 2 passes one which was called back because of a penalty.

You can't use one game to judge a player for the better or worse. He showed some promise but he also made some mistakes too. He would need time to develop but because he is a 7th round QB he doesn't get the same luxary that Sanchez a 5th overall pick would get.

7. jessedark

jessedark Active Member

N0 fumbles..subtle improvement

8. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

What difference would a few more games make? Starting him then would have just been a sign that Rex had given up on making the playoffs that much earlier. Young QBs don't develop from just a handful of games. Up until recently, most QBs did not start "getting it" until they were pushing 30 once you excluded the elite guys. Rich Gannon, who called today's game is a perfect example of this. He did not have his breakout season until 1999, which I think was like his 11th or 12th season in the league. Steve Young talks about this all the time, until the organization makes the difficult and conscious decision on developing a young QB, then McElroy and any other young QB they draft will have the same fate as Sanchez. What Rex really needs is not another young QB but a veteran that can manage the game which he wants his defense to ultimately win. This McElroy is a waste of time; he's not the QB of the future or he better not be for the Jets' sake. The move just ensures a higher draft pick.

9. legler82

He did fumble on the Phillip's sack.

10. legler82

I'm already asking that he get rid of the ball.

11. jessedark

jessedark Active Member

So much for that improvement, must've stepped away for that sack.

They showed a graphic about Brad Smith compared to Tebow during the game. I am convinced we are cursed for letting Brad Smith get away.

12. Backup QB

Backup QB Active Member

This thread is not about Tebow.

13. Backup QB

Backup QB Active Member

The McElroy love-fest is unexpected. Guys, he didn't play that well today and I'm being kind.

14. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

15. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

A few more games does make a difference, after the 2nd NE game our season was unofficially over. From the NE game on, we could see him get game experience and learn and develop from week to week. I agree that it would have taken an outstanding performance to make everyone really get on board with McElroy. But McElroy doesn't have the luxary that Sanchez got, in terms of the team letting him go through growing pains. So he HAD to be impressive from the start. At least he's played well enough to be brought back to compete or be a back up in '13.

At least McElroy completed more than 2 passes in todays game.

16. jessedark

jessedark Active Member

My comment is about Brad Smith. I don't want to have to deconstruct it for you.

17. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

McElroy is just missing something as a QB I can't put my finger on it just yet, We know he is smart the announcers wouldn't let us forget that but he just doesn't have a very strong arm,He is hort and im not sure of his ability to read NFL defenses

18. NotSatoshiNakamoto

He's just not as physically gifted as you want in an NFL QB. That is clear as day. Add in the fact that he's seeing his first NFL snaps, the o-line is leaky, the play calling is inconsistent at best and the WR's don't get much separation and you get what we saw today.

If we had a dominant surrounding cast he could probably do OK at managing the game, but if that were the case I suspect Sanchez would have looked a lot better too.

Bottom line, this guy probably isn't the answer.

19. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Scottish Sanchez......

20. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

If you're being sarcastic, this is funny. If you are serious, please seek help.