The Greg McElroy bandwagon (ultimate under-dog)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mambo9, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Say hello to Captain Winkie!!!!!! :rofl2:

2. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

All true as far as laying odds from where he started. But we are not at the point where he started.

Since then he was the best Qb in camp in the 2011 pre season. At the end of last year, I know many had an issue with it, but I think he showed guts and moxie, not to mention being right, when he talked about the locker room toxicity. Despite the organization's evident displeasure at that criticism, he was too good to jettison this past off season. And despite the travesty of wasting the #2 spot on a wildcard/optino Qb, he earned the "real" backup spot. He apparently worked hard and achieved results in an effort to bolster his arm strength. In pre-season he was the only Qb to lead the team into the end zone. In the Cards game he came off the bench with apparently no prep other than working the scout team, no warning other than "You're in next series", and he ran the O with efficiency, confidence, and produced results. The team won a game it was heading to lose, and as a fan, I was excited and optimistic in a way I have not been for a long time.

Does that mean he's raised his odds for success to what you might expect for a first round, or even second round, pick? Probably not.

But it does mean it is both inaccurate and unfair to refer to him as "only" a seventh round pick.

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I hope they let him sling the football just a little bit more. Keep it at a 50 / 50 run pass ratio, but let him get as much experience as possible.

4. 74

74 Well-Known Member

when you watch this game pay attention to the types of pass plays we run. Are they mostly easy predetermined playaction passes or is he going up to the line, scanning the field, reading the defence, going through his progressions to find the open receiver. that's the kind of smart play I want to see to give me confidence / hope going toward. I'd rather see him put up a modest line playing like a true NFL qb than have a kirk cousins 300 yd game throwing screens and run fakes.

5. lakersmetsjets49ers

It would be inexcusable on their part not to let him air it out these next 2 games.

Their out of playoff contention, I want to see what this guy has and there's nothing to lose from letting him play rather then play conservative

6. Ben Had

Ben Had Active Member

My bet is Sanchez is back in by the 4th quarter.

Rex is not going to have his QB on the bench!

7. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

If the O starts clicking with McElroy under center it will sound the death knell of Sanchez.

8. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Only if you ignore the management team that drafted him. This is the same group that drafted Clemens, moved up to grab Sanchez and gave up a 4th for Tebow when it's not clear anyone else was even offering a pick.

The odds of winning pick 6 or if you will Poli and BB staff drafting a Brady and winning power ball, Tanny and Rex drafting the next Brady aren't exactly the same.

I hope Mcelroy works out but he is not just a 7th round pick, he's a 7th round pick of the NY Jets.

#168 Biggs, Dec 22, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  9. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

McElroy sucks too.

Captain Checkdown 2.0

10. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

McElroy looks terrible out there, without Kerleys hail mary this guy has maybe one completion.

11. Bannon

Bannon New Member

I'm prepared to rush to judgment and say McElroy is mediocre at best. His overall physical package is just not there -- arm strength is not there.

12. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

Dude has no swag. Can't even allow us to pretend he's a diamond in the rough that will become a Tom Brady for us.

13. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

like i said in the game thread, unless greg lights it up in the 2nd half and next week, i think the jets would need to get a qb in the offseason. he's been ok but nothing to write home about.

14. NYJetsMetsCTHuskies

NYJetsMetsCTHuskies Active Member

Some of you have to back off McElroy. He is in the game so we can see what we have going into the offseason. Don't expect the next Tom Brady in McElroy. Look at his performance with a open mind and he really isn't have that bad of a game.

15. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I'm officially on the Kerley bandwagon. It's clear he should be the starter it's not even debatable.

16. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

His game is terrible, this is the NFL not pop warner, we are allowed to judge under the guise that this is the professional league where players are given millions to play effectively.

As a back up you have to make an immediate impression, you're not going to get the leash a #5 pick paid 40+ million will, just the way it is.

17. The 1985er

Thoughts on McElroy's first start.

He made some nice throws, some throws TGG posters claimed he cant make. He played decent despite the o line having it's worst game of the season. Some sacks were on him for holding the ball too long, his play doesn't make me comfortable enough with him starting next season, but he'll get another chance next week. Lets hope the o line bounces back and Greg can get a chance to throw more.

18. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

I liked some of the things I saw... considering the OL played like dog shit and that this was his frist career start I think he can be a good #2... now let's see if he shows something more vs the Bills.

19. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

I think he's done well given the circumstances. Being sacked 11 times, he still played a hell of a lot better than Sanchez.

20. The 1985er

What sucks for McElroy is that he will need more time to develop but unfortunately he doesn't have that luxary. I sorta wish he got a chance to start after the second NE game.