How far off do you think this team is from contention

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ArmandJ, Dec 21, 2012.

1. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

that would all make sense if all things were equal next year. but in addition adding wideouts and pass rushers and fixing the QB situation, we also need to account for the several starters we will have to part ways with... likely pace, thomas, scott, bell, maybe landry.

2. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Pace and Scott were both expected to be cut. I would be pleasantly surprised if we kept Landry. Bell wants to stay here for next year.

I'm not sure about Thomas.

3. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

If we bring back bell and landry the defense should be pretty good. We will need to improve at lb.

If the O can just play ball control we will be fine. If we get decent skill position play and improve the O line there is no reason we shouldnt be in the hunt next year.

We have been a playoff contender for the past five seasons including this one. Most of what we get rid of next year will be dead weight. I think we will be fine as long as Woody doesnt blow up the whole thing.

4. jerseyjay14

right..and see thats the problem. people are like "we can b4 competitive next year, we just need to revamp the offense"

ok, if you invest in QB/WR/OL/TE/HB like people want, then who do you get to play ILB, both OLB spots, safety, and replacing devito and or pouha?

there are like 8-10 important starting spots we need to fill. we have extremely limited cap room to fill it, and we wont have a top 5 pick.

1 year?

5. jerseyjay14

where do we get that improved LB from(cant really sign one if your brining abck land and bell).

where do we get that decent skill player from

where do we get that oline improvement from

who is playing QB? who is coaching him?

6. Organized Chaos

Wideouts will be fine if we can Braylon back cheap. QB we will have to see. Hopefully we can get someone like a Matt Moore as a stopgap. We will probably need another RB. Maybe Hillis will come cheap.

I do hope we get Landry but he may be too expensive.

7. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Not necessarily true.
    Just look at the Giants. Jerry Reese retained pre Super Bowl Coughlin even while some media and fans were calling for his head.

You can hire a guy who believes in the current head coach, and build your team from that starting point rather than from scratch.
    In this case, that is exactly what the Jets should do.

8. jerseyjay14

So you think we compete with a team of:

Matt moore, braylon, kerley, holmes, hillis, keller

same defense minus scott/thomas/pace/bell/landry

9. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

That wide receiver corp you listed isn't bad at all. Especially with Kerley and Hill both being thrown in the fire this year.

Quarterback play is a HUGE reason why we are where we are now. Fix that, there is no reason to expect us to be a bottom feeder team next year. It will be helpful if we get Norv Turner and someone not named Tannenbaum as our GM.

10. jerseyjay14

I agree QB is the main reason we sucked this year. However, just fixing that and thinking we will compete ignores all the guys currently on the roster who wont be here next year.

its not like we can bring this same team back, with a new QB. we are going to be forced to part ways with 3-6 defensive starting players. thats potentially half of our starting defense. and we wont have much money to replace them.

we have minimal money and a draft to replace half our defense, find a qb, upgrade the oline, relace the depth we lose and find an offesnive playmaker.

who do you draft with our 6 picks? who do you sign to replace those guys we have to cut?

11. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

To compete for a playoff spot and the super bowl are two different things. Considering our injuries this year just getting people back next year even with Sanchez under center might put us in contention for a wild card spot seeing as we probably were two losses away from a WC spot this year. But to compete for a SB (which is what it's all about) I think we at minimum need to upgrade at QB even if it is to just a game manager style player who limits turnovers, RB to a much better #1 guy, WR, fill some gaps of aging guys on defense (mostly LBs).

So it's not really a tremendous number of guys but it's the availability and quality of those guys that are the problem. I think with a QB like Alex Smith (who I don't rate highly, I'm just saying he's a game manager style who limits turnovers), a RB that is more explosive or at least capable of carrying the team more than Greene (like a CJ2K) and then just people better than Schillens, J Hill, Gates, etc. at WR (which isn't asking a whole lot although if next season we can go in with Holmes, Kerley, S Hill, Edwards that is a step in the right direction).

At this point I would say it's borderline impossible to judge because we don't know what is going to happen this offseason, especially at the QB position. If they play McElroy and keep Sanchez on the bench all year that might make it take longer but be smarter cap wise and long term. If they go out and get a better QB which may create cap problems it may make us better sooner but screw us up a few years down the road.

So, yeah, that's a pretty long non-answer but that's what I'm sticking with.

12. Clovis

Clovis New Member

Sanchez isn't going anywhere until after next year. Jets biggest chance is to get a legitimate running back and a solid slot receiver. Ar least give the offense a chance to make Sanchez look better so that there may value for him after next year. I see no QBs this draft that excite me, but the next draft should have some real nice choices.

The O line has proven they can run block, though I think there could be a great choice or two for TE later in the draft.

13. mudclods

mudclods Member

All they needed this year was some health receivers and a QB that just didn't make mistakes and they'd easily be 8-6 or 9-5 right now with a good chance to go 10-6 or 11-5.

14. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Depends on if they keep RR and his staff. The D is solid, not much has to be done there. The offense, specifically QB, needs to be adressed.

15. Organized Chaos

I think at least one of those lbs come back at a reduced rate. If we lose bell and landry I would be worried.

If we can get bell/landry, one lb back and maybe replace two of them we could be better off on D. I wouldnt be suprised if scott and thomas came back on the cheap.

16. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Norv Turner, health on the Hands teams.

17. MyFavoriteMartin5

MyFavoriteMartin5 New Member

Norv Turner would be a huge step. If you get a decent QB like a Matt Moore or if Matt Hassleback is available that is solid.

Signing Braylon I think would be enough for the receiving corps for now. If they can address the OLB position in round 1 and resign most of their FAs (tough to some degree but not impossible) they will be fine.

Many people thought after 2008 the jets would stink and they went to the AFC championship game the next 2 years. In the NFL you just don't know. Bottom line you can't win without a half way decent QB.

Right now the Jets have a QB who I think is worse than Brandon Weeden, that won't get it done.

18. Hobbes3259

No, the correct answer is Sanchez,Holmes, Edwards,Kerley,Hill,Keller, Cumberland, with Norv Turner calling the plays.

Kerley has played lights out this season, among wideouts that wouldn't play on my kids freshman squad.

In the slot with a rotation of the above, and a decent OC he'd be Wes welker with speed.

19. Hobbes3259

I agree on Turner, but Moore and Haslebeck are no upgrade over Sanchez.

Sanchez has played big in big spots,,,it would take Peyton Manning on steroids to do it with Clyde Gates, and Mardy Gilyard...

20. Hobbes3259

Oh, one year given the above.

Norv turner gets us past the AFCCG, with the players on his side of the ball healthy.

Not even a question.