How far off do you think this team is from contention

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ArmandJ, Dec 21, 2012.

1. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Simple question. What year do you all expect the New York Jets to be truly competitive for a wildcard/division spot (competitive in which we don't need more than one team to lose)?

Personally, I think it can happen as early as next year with some major offensive changes. However, if not that, I expect us to truly look good in 2014.

2. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

Considering there's an outside shot we win 8 games this yr with a bottom ranked offense, I think there is an excellent chance we can compete next yr.

3. azhar80

azhar80 Well-Known Member

Not too far. The offense needs to be fixed and Fix the stupid turn overs.
    Obviously I am not going specifics but the defense has shown that it is play off worthy.

Qb, & offensive coordinator need to get on the same page, get NFL worthy Wrs , & a real identity. Real identity meaning if your ground and pound have the damn personnel for it.

There is so much to write. But it just get me frustrated just thinking abt it.

4. TheJetLife

TheJetLife Well-Known Member

I don't know. As much as I hope they can be a contender within the next year or so, week after week I'm starting to doubt that they will. With the mess that this team is in, and the possible housecleaning of the coaching staff (and whoever else), this team is going to be more in rebuild mode than playoff run mode.

In order to be a playoff threat, we need a steady and consistent team as a whole. To be a playoff threat very soon we're going to have to hope Rex and Pettine stay, Sporano goes, and we have a solid, starting QB (and everything else that needs to be fixed, A LOT).

Throughout that last 2 or so years, we the fan base have seen threatening aspects of this team that gave them the possibility to beat any given team at any given time and that also gave them the possibility to make a playoff run and possibly do damage when there, while everybody else saw this team as a bad, non-threatening team.

Due to the turn of events that has been going down since missing the playoffs last season, our team is kind of proving that we may just have had our green-tinted glasses on and that they really are one of the worst teams in the league (aside from the defense, of course; although we still remain bad because the defense cannot win us games singlehandedly).

5. ArmandJ

I'm trying to get some answers because it seems to be a prevailing belief in the media that we're going to be 1-15 for years and years to come.

6. ArmandJ

95 percent of our failure this season was our quarterback. That's going to be a fairly tough thing to fix. If we do fix it, we have a good shot at not being a bottom feeder next year. The other 5 percent are wide receivers and our pass rushers.

Fix those two things, and we will be good to go. We need to retool more than completely blow things up and rebuild.

7. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

This team needs to build with Division titles in its sight not WC spots and for that to happen we need a GM who has a vision and a plan, knows how to achieve it by hiring coaches and using the draft to achieve that plan.

Plugging in stop gap players in what should be skilled positions like the WR and OL is not a formula for winning divisions or WC spots.

This team got some breaks the past couple of years to make the WC, but a truly competitive team should be able to win meaningful games that propel them to those spots and the Jets have had their destiny in their hands last year and this year and both times have collapsed.

And they will only continue to go backwards with this regime of MT and RR

8. The media looks solely at the QB/offensive situation & nothing else. They are clueless.

This defense is an edge rusher away from being scary. All the offense has to be is functional & anything is possible. Jets will shock people moving forward.

9. wildaces

wildaces Banned

We are a competent QB away. I don't mean a Tom Brady or Peyton Manning, but a Pennington type. (Smart, and have ball security).

How many games have we been in, until a pick 6 or a red zone pick or a butt fumble?

10. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Step 1: Get good WRs. I like our WRs, but the guys who can catch don't get open enough and the guys who can't catch (Hill) do get open but just drop everything.

Step 2: Get a good QB. We are screwed for next year unless McElroy proves to be really good. There's no good QBs in the draft this year worth taking.

Step 3: Revamp the LB corps. Need a new ILB to replace Scott and an OLB who can pass rush.

Step 4: Solidify the offensive line.

11. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

This offseason will be full of major decisions.
    The wrong ones can really set the franchise back. The right ones can get us back on the right track, but may still take a little time.

It starts with GM/Football Operations head.
    That cannot be Tannebaum making these decisions. need fresh guys not invested in success/failure of past decisions, and not afraid to keep Woody's influence to a minimum.

Head coach:
    We have the right one in place in my opinion, capable of going the distance.
    I would keep the investment and continuity with Rex in place.

Defense:
    We have the right defensive coaches.
    We have a solid group of defensive players for present and near future.
    Key decision points there are what to do with Revis, and whether to invest in Landry.
    Ideally i'd like both back. Depends on asking price, and potential trade value in Revis' case.
    Also need to start replacing LB's. Even if solid role player journeyman in short term.

Special Teams:
    need to replace retiring Westhoff unfortunately. Hopefully his understudies are up for the task.
    Kicker and Punter not bad. Could really use a return man, both Kickoff and Punt. Tired of the fumbles. With Westhoff not in place, i don't know that we'll be able to just make anyone look good. Cribbs very interesting.

Offense:
    Need a new OC, need a new QB coach, and most of position coaches potentially changeable. I'm hoping Norv Turner comes in personally.
    Key decision, and biggest indicator how quickly the Jets can become relevant again, lies on the QB position.
    They need to find at least a stop gap QB to become competitive.
    Next 2 offseasons need to be focused on re-stocking offensive talent. QB stop gap, QB of future, Oline, TE, 3rd down play maker.

Summary
    If they address GM, OC, find a somewhat capable stop gap QB, and start reloading offensive talent, they can be at least competitive in short term.
    The Sanchez and Holmes contracts need to play out, so next year will be tough.
    These moves would get us very relevant sooner rather than later though.

#11 BacktoQueens, Dec 21, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  12. YankeeRacers

YankeeRacers Member

So a new OC a new DC (assuming Pettine doesn't change his mind), and a new ST coach? Oh wait and a new QB? Sounds like a quick fix to me. Hell maybe they'll stretch the cap for us too. I would say we are close. Are you people delusional the ship is sinking!

13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

About 2 seasons

14. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I don't think Pettine going anywhere as long as Rex stays in place.
    GM, OC, and QB decisions definitely will decide the fate though. Make the wrong ones, and yes ship will sink.
    Make the right ones, and i wouldn't rule out a return to the playoffs in near future. Good defenses keep teams in the hunt, as long as they are not completely submarined by their offense, as has been the case recently.

15. laxin

laxin Active Member

I honestly think after two seasons.

To those of you who think just next year we will be back in the playoff hunt... How???

I just dont see how this team can justify not changing anything within management and the coaching staff. There is something clearly wrong. In order to kill a snake, you have to chop its head off- Tannenbaum. It starts and ends with him. In order for this team to take a step forward in the long run, he needs to go.

And dont fool yourself thinking Rex will be staying with a new GM... It just wont happen. In order for this team to compete with the leagues best, we need an above average offense. With Rex Ryan as HC, that will never happen. You look at the 49ers, and that is who this team wishes we were- a great defense that can get after the QB and a great ground and pound offense that can go vertical and put up points.

I would love to keep Rex as the DC, and hire an offensive minded HC, I think that would be ideal. Sadly, I just dont see it happening.

In this league, you need a QB to be a constant playoff contender. After this season, we will have Greg McElroy. Thats it. Unless we are blessed by the football Gods and he turns into the next Tom Brady, we still need a franchise QB.

Lucky for us, there arent many quality QBs in this draft. Our best bet is drafting Teddy Bridgewater next year and hope he can step in and be at least a Russel Wilson.

16. laxin

laxin Active Member

If we replace the GM, like we need to, we also replace the HC even if he is the right one in place. 99% of new GM's want a new HC, their OWN head coach.

17. NotSatoshiNakamoto

We need a legit NFL offense. Get us a big boy QB who can make plays without turning the ball over 2x per game. Get us a running back who can break some long runs without fumbling every 10th carry. Get us a TE who can catch and block. And get us another WR That can actually gain separation. Get us an OC that can actually out coach some good defensive coordinators and doesn't completely fail at understanding the rhythm of the game.

However long that takes. Our D is pretty good.

18. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

The way you pose the question, "next year" is a reasonable answer. The difference between Jets this season and "competitive in which we don't need more than one team to lose" would be fewer turnover from Sanchez. Change him to whoever makes better decisions, say 30% of the times, and Jets have at least 1, probably 2 more wins. With Sanchez being out the next QB is bound to be better. This would translate into 1-2 more wins and likely into a playoff spot. In fact, if Rex would've pulled Sanchez earlier, "competitive" could've been now.

That said, I do not subscribe to your definition of "competitive". Hoping for someone to loose so that you can make it to the playoff is not "competitive". I want the Jets to be the team that others hoping would lose -- the Colts, Cinci, Pitt of this year. To me a competitive team is likely to make the playoff on its own power, without the need for someone else to crap the bed.

For this to happen one of the two things must happen: either Jets get a premier RB (ex. Ray Rice) or a premier QB. Since we won't get either through a trade without devastating other parts of the team, it must be done through draft.

And here lies the root of everything: we need people who can find the next Rice or Manning or RG3. Until Jets have those people in the front office, this team goes nowhere.

19. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

we are EXTREMELY far off. i mean:

1) we need a quarterback, the most important position on the field.

2) we likely need a new head coach, or get an offensive co ordinator who was a head coach to spearhead that entire side of the ball

3) we need a new special teams coach

4) we have a ton fo guys that need to be released to get under the cap for next season

id say 3-5 years before contention. 2-3 for wild card contention

20. _Jet_

_Jet_ Member

This year, if Rex Ryan had the guts to bench Sanchez earlier.