Is it possible in NFL to swap/trade bad contracts?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

If you know where I am going with here...Jets are guaranteed $8.25 million in 2013 to Sanchez, but there are some really bad teams who need a QB. (Chiefs, Jaguars, Cardinals, Raiders, etc...)

Is it possible to trade a bad contract in Sanchez (cant release him in 2013....Just impossible. No way we eat $17.1 million in cap by releasing him) for another bad contract...A player that maybe addresses another position?

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Um, yeah, it's possible. That said who would trade for Sanchez now when they know they can get him for nothing and pay him vet minimum in 8 months or so?

3. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

No one is going to trade for Sanchez.

That was such a stupid decision. Extend Sanchez, bring in Tebow. Unbelievable sequence of idiocy by Tannenbaum or whoever

4. Diddy

Diddy Active Member

Can't decide which one was worse, so I'll go with the Sanchez extention, he didn't earn it and was a way to "coddle him". Now this team is crippled. With out that extention we could cut him at the end of the season with minimum cap hit.

5. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Guaranteeing that contract could end Tanny as GM of the Jets.

What a terrible decision.

6. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Arizona has Kolb and he's better than Sanchez. Oakland would more than likely give Terrell Pryor a shot before they would trade for Sanchez. KC would rather stick with Quinn before trading for Sanchez, not like brining in Sanchez would improve their QB situation. Plus can anybody tell me with conviction that in 2012 Sanchez is down right better than Chad Henne?

Sanchez is done as a starting QB in the NFL. He's getting to that JaMarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf, Joey Harrington territory where they wont even get a shot as a backup anywhere else.

7. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Perfect comparison

8. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

Listen all we have as a option si to build around him or McElroy, OL; RB; Maybe a WR; OLB build through the draft. Wait till 2013 and cut him end of story or if he is a team player " restructure his contract" but why would he if he is out the door get that money

9. JetLagInCa

JetLagInCa Active Member

Package a deal for the team's salary cap sake by offering Revis to any team (other than one in the AFC East) if they also take our POS QB too. Will save us at least 20 million. One great cornerback does no good if we can't sign free agents and draft picks to replace the lack of talent and depth due to Tanny's mismanagement.

10. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

No one can even argue that its easy to say that in hindsight , the signs were already there that he wasn't progressing in the way he (an NFL calibre QB) should be.
    I've been an ardent supporter of Tanny, but that was a HUGE cock up in the history of our Team.

Question: If/when Tanny gets the bullet, who is out there to replace him?

11. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

Hopefully Mcelroy can show us something in the last 2 games, then the Jets can keep Sanchez on the roster next year to avoid the cap hit and just make him inactive every game. Pick up hassleback or some other veteran to back up Mcelroy and fill other needs in the draft. Cut sanchez after the season and if Mcelroy can't cut it next year draft a QB.

12. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

I'd be OK with keeping him on the team as a back-up, not necessarily inactive every game.
    Who knows, the light may go on at some point, especially if he knows he has to produce consistently. Doubtful I know

13. JET'S_my_name

JET'S_my_name Banned

Brian Costello ‏@BrianCoz
    New CBA allows teams to designate 2 players as "June 1" cuts before June 1, reducing the cap hit for 2013. Jets could do that with Sanchez

Brian Costello ‏@BrianCoz
    Still seems unlikely because 2013 cap hit is still over $12 million in that situation, but they would never just take the $17 million hit.

14. NFL

NFL Active Member

Have the Eagles restructure Vicks contract to around the same as Sanchez, then make the trade. We know what we got in Sanchez, might as well give Vick a shot. He says he'd play for the Jets if he's guaranteed a start. Keep Vick until a real QB prospect shows up.

15. wildaces

wildaces Banned

The thing is, someone will thing the city pressure was to much, or the talent wasn't there, or something else. Even if the Jets traded him, and ate half his salary, we are better off.

16. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

When I was at the Titans jets game on Monday the Titans fans were hoping Tebow would start so that it would be a game worth watching. That is how bad Sanchez has degraded this team. His enabler is Rex. Can Rex explain why Tebow isn't starting? The FO is stuck with Florida swampland.

17. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

^probably because Tebow stinks. McElroy is the guy we need to look at now before making decisions moving forward. Sanchez and Tebow need to be gone,

18. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

I liked McElroy last year before he broke his thumb. I just question the process Rex uses to determine starters. a straight answer from Rex is a rare find these days.

19. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

He made a mistake going back to Sanchez after AZ but realistically the play-calling @TEN is what ruined that game we could've ran ran ran like @JAX and played the field position game and gotten a W. I like Sparano but the play-calling that game was atrocious, and I'm usually reluctant to blame the calling. It should cost Sparano his job, that's how bad that gameplan was.

20. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

A trade that i brought up elsewhere that id like the Jets to make

Sanchez + money for Rolando McClain (Oakland)

Gets us a young linebacker with potential who has a shitty contract due a ton of money that the Raiders want to cut because hes a dead beat deliquent.

And we could give them Sanchez, a USC boy who loves the west coast. and they need a QB

Makes a ton of sense to me, wed just have to even out the $$$ since Sanchez's due guarenteed a helluva more cash than McClain.

Not to mention Rex coached with his LeRon in Baltimore for a while, so he might be famiilar with him.