The Greg McElroy bandwagon (ultimate under-dog)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mambo9, Jun 20, 2012.

1. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Obviously arm strength is important but, really, even when Mark was having success he was more of a game manager, we didn't win a whole lot because of his arm. By far the biggest issue for Sanchez is/was turnovers. If McElroy can just turn the ball over less then I think we'll be a more successful team.

Sanchez's second biggest issue was reading the defense. McElroy is apparently a pretty smart guy so hopefully that translates into on field intelligence and being able to read defenses better than Sanchez.

If he can read defenses better and as a result (or in addition to that) turn the ball over less we will win more games. Will that make him NFL starter caliber? Maybe not, but an improvement on Sanchez. To have a good game manager you need a strong run game so they will still need to address that for next season.

2. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

While this season has wound down in disappointing fashion, the focus on Muck has sort of hidden two positive developments. The first is that the OL has gotten more consistent. This is I think especially true at guard, which is great since I expected Slauson to not do much and Moore to continue declining. I think both have been pretty good.

The other is the Powell Greene rotation. Greene clearly is not the workhorse who can carry the running game on his own. But with a big help from Powell, they give a one two punch that is effective (although I still wish ypc was better).

Both these developments can be a help to McElroy, despite the fact the receivers are still problematic. I see that Hill was just put on IR.

3. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

So what exactly are we going to learn about Mcelroy in what are essentially 2 exhibition games with absolutely nothing on the line?

He is not going to be the Jets QB in meaningful games next year unless fill in the blank gets hurt.

4. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

It's simple... for Greg McElroy, this is a 2 game Super Bowl. If he wins that Super Bowl, he receives serious contention as a primary backup QB / competitor for starting job if the real starter ends up pulling another Sanchez.

If he loses his personal Super Bowl, then he fades into 7th round 3rd string obscurity like most in shoes.

5. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Here is the reality of our situation. We are either going to bring in a veteran who will be our QB next year or if we bring back Sanchez for cap reasons with a new OC he will likely win the QB competition.

These 2 games will establish Mcelroy as a competent No. 2 NFL QB at best.

6. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I hope he plays well enough for the Jets to consider starting him next season, or at least have him compete with another QB in '13.

7. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I think McElroys performance is the difference between us signing a Matt Moore or not.

8. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

This McElroy bandwagon will be a very short ride.

9. Big Blocker

LOL at the GM haters!

He deserves a chance to play because the other two guys suck. In truth, no one here knows he will also suck, but if he does, no doubt some will say they told us so.

I remain optimistic.

10. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

If Greg McElroy starts next year and throws just one INT a game, he would have already done leaps and bounds better than Sanchez.

11. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

McElroy will be the third Alabama QB to start for the Jets

12. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I know certain people enjoy playing devils advocate but I believe there is a chance that McElroy could be the right QB for this team. We know he's a winner. We know he's going to be vocal and honest. We know he's smart. I believe he COULD MOST DEFINITELY be our starting QB next year.

13. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

I don't think that people are hating on McElroy, its just that 7th round draft picks don't become starting QBs in the NFL, unless their name is Tom Brady, and that happens once a generation. I think the only thing McElroy is going to prove is whether or not he can be a competent back up.

14. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Heh on NBC sports talk there's an article with Greg saying he learnt how to play QB an prepare from Sanchez. I hope he was just being nice

15. MoWilkShakes

MoWilkShakes Active Member

well he was his backup...what do you expect?

16. I Am The Stig

I Am The Stig Active Member

Well technically McElroy is part of a new generation so... :p

17. Big Blocker

I get annoyed with this "he's only a seventh round pick" stuff. Tom Brady was once only a sixth round pick. Kurt Warner was undrafted. Is he either of those guys? No. but he's done more than just be a draft pick nearly two years ago.

18. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I remain optimistic of what this kid can do. Just don't turn the football over and complete passes on 3rd and short and we will be in every single game because of our defense and a majority control of T.O.P.

19. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

You have made a ton of good points this morning

I agree that the 7th round stuff is meaningless.

And I also agree that the line is rounding into shape, which is the most significant point you made. (mostly Moore getting healthy). The Jets would do well to shore up the line early in the draft

Green/Powell has been effective and is positive for the future (although I'm not sure Green will be back next year).

McElroy can definitely be a winning QB on a team that has a good running game & strong D.

If McElroy had playing since Jax, the Jets would be on a 3 game winning streak with three solid, convincing victories, coming hope to a raucous supportive crowd with a very realistic shot at 9-7, with play-off hopes still alive

20. Big Blocker

To be specific the OL had a couple of bad plays against Tenn, but overall showed continued improvement. Some of the blocking schemes seemed a bit too complex.

But the running game was very good. Greene was great in the fourth quarter, which makes the play call on that last interception even more galling. They still have an issue with this group on dumpoff passes. It will be as interesting as any other metric how well they can do with Mac on short passes to the RB's.

The D is also playing good. No turnovers would mean that the Jets can focus on the running game, and Mac can manage a win. Let's hope so since the few remaining Sanchez Fans will be praying for him to fall on his face.