CodeGreen Jets Mock 1.0

Discussion in 'Draft' started by CodeGreen, Dec 18, 2012.

1. CodeGreen

CodeGreen Active Member

Just a quick background for this mock. I think a key for this team is really re-stocking up on defense. Frankly our offense will be about as good as our qb is and I don’t see any one worth picking up to replace Sanchez. Our D has been better of late and it’s clear our D line next year is going to mess people up. My main concern is up the middle of our D, got to get better at safety and linebacker. Especially linebacker. Obviously any talent at right tackle, guard, or tailback would be appreciated. I’m not really on board with the notion that going into next year we need another big time wideout.

Round 1

Alec Ogletree LB, Georgia

I know it is early, but I'm feeling a bit down about the options that could be available. Any tackle or pass rusher who is a good fit will be off the board and no wideout worth taking. I considered Sam Montgomery with this pick. Hopefully we trade either up or down.
    Ogletree is not the linebacker you think of when you think of Georgia. At the moment Ogletree is not a hot name, but he will be especially after the combine. He shouldn’t be mentioned with Jones or Te’o but Ogletree is certainly an elite player.

Ogletree is a great athlete with exceptional range who can get to any part of the field. He needs to work on getting tougher and improving his football IQ. Demario Davis has been kind of a disappointment, I expected more out of him. Bart Scott, who I love, just cannot play anymore.

Round 2

Matt Elam, S Florida

For now it looks like there could be a plethora of wideouts available. My favorite guy of this group has been Terrance Williams. The few times I’ve seen Baylor play the guy just WOWS, makes everything thrown his way
    It’s hard to say with a straight face that a player from Florida has been underrated, but Elam has been. The biggest knock against Elam is his size and that at around 5’11” he is a tad small for the NFL. Other than that Elam has been very good. He plays the run and pass well and is a good athlete

Round 3

Brandon Jenkins, OLB Florida State

This is a pass rusher of the future. I know his injury history is bad, but this guy can flat out get to opposing quarterbacks. He has played 34 OLB before and I’m damn tired of not having a pass rusher on the team.

Round 4

Morgan Mosses OT, Virginia

Mosses is not the same player as Oday Abushi, but he is still a solid prospect. Good athleticism to pass protect, good enough run blocking

Round 5

Nigel Malone CB, Kansas State

This guy could develop into a solid nickel corner. Solid awareness, good ball skills.

Round 6

Spencer Ware RB, LSU

Gotta get a plug in for my LSU guy right? I don’t think Ware will declare but if he does he would be a good option for the Jets. I don’t know how the Jets can justify resigning shonn greene. Ware has a similar game to Greene but is a better athlete and is more of a factor out of the backfield catching the ball.

Round 7

Martin Wallace, OT Temple

Haven’t seen much tape on the guy. But he went to my high school and is likely the only DI player to ever come out of my high school. So I’ll start the hype machine now.

2. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

CG, I understanding your reasoning going defense early, but it isn't going to happen.

The Jets are in dire need of O-Line help and play makers.

Weather we like it or not, Sanchez is probably still going to be on 2013's roster. Whoever is QB, Sanchez, McElroy or Vet, they need players up front and more weapons.

3. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I've been thinking this argument over a lot lately WW. If this staff is retained,they may believe that a returned Holmes, retained Edwards, and healthy hill and Kerley may be enough. As for the Oline, again they may look to resigning some of the current guys or going with Vlad. It would not shock me at all to see Rex want to reload his defense.

4. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Tanny and Rex may stay!! I've said it hundred times, if a new GM comes in Rex is gone.

If Tanny is demoted or fired, expect Rex to be gone too.

Somebody will have to take the fall, if Rex stays,Tony S is the prime candidate to get shit canned.

I think Sanchez has taken his last snap as a starter.

The Jets will have to improve the Offense, it's a train wreck, and expecting McElroy or next mystery QB to play behind that O-line (G/RT) and lack of weapons is criminal.

5. laxin

laxin Active Member

Because its Rex.

Which is just sad, because despite injures, this is one of the least talented offenses in the league. If Rex is here and goes primarily defense it just furthers his incompetence to see the real problems on offense and address them.

Lets just put it this way, a good edge rusher would not change this team from being below average. The offense is what this team needs to address and if the Jets first 3 picks were on D, I would flip... Along with thousands of other Jets fans.

6. CodeGreen

CodeGreen Active Member

Like I said I have no problem with a right tackle in the first or second round. My logic though is that Tanny has gone with a BPA in his last three drafts, even if they werent huge needs to begin with.

If in fact they do go with need I would fully expect the Jets to trade up or down to get their guy as they have shown with early Tanny drafts when the team had more needs

7. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

At this point, untill woody makes a move I look at building our team as if the current staff is going to stay. Wtih the current staf in place I belive they will be happy to return our offense as is, blaming the rash of injuries to the wideouts and TE's on the struggles this year.

We could use help at guard for sure and Warmack is a wonderful one. If Matthews is there when we pick he is a perfect canidate for a 10 year RT. I just don't see the current staff goign there as much as we would lie them to.

My bigger problem with this draft is Ogletree, who while a hell of a player, is not a Rex OLB. our ILB's next year are most likely Harris and Davis. Rex wants big physical guys outside. At 6-3 and 235 he is jsut not there as a edge setting guy in this D. He would be a hell of an ILB or OLB in the 43.

8. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

interesting selections in rounds 1/2. the rumor is Ogletree may stay his senior year, and if there's any ILB we go after in the first it's Te'o. I love Elam, but we have bigger needs than a safety, could go Rambo in the third.

9. Jonky

Jonky Banned

First I would like to say, Codegreen, I'm nominating you for GM. I love this draft!!!

Don't slot Ogletree into a MLB slot as he came to UGA as a SS. He can play SS, MLB as well as OLB. He has the strength, speed and instincts to get the job done. This would not be a popular selection in NY, but might be the best one they've made in years. I know I like Wilkerson and Coples has potential, but Ogletree can flat out play and he makes everyone around him better. Most important, he is the leader of that Georgia defense.

10. CodeGreen

CodeGreen Active Member

Thank you

I would not slot Ogletree as a purely inside linebacker. I think our main priority at this point is getting faster more athletic linebackers. I know Rex likes guys with size, but we need players who can move well in space