QB Options Not On Roster

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by #1 Jets Fan, Oct 29, 2012.

1. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

That's not a bad option. We need a stop gap, and we need cheap.
    Moore seems to have the respect of his players, and a little fire in his game. I would def take a look. Is he a FA?

2. Diddy

Diddy Active Member

After this year yes.

3. 34miami23

34miami23 Active Member

His contract expires with the Fins after this year

4. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Alex Smith is what Mark Sanchez will look like in five years, except Smith is a little more athletic.

Smith, Vick and Moore are all options. None really stand out as better than the others, so whoever would come the cheapest may be the best option.

5. NotSatoshiNakamoto

If we're sticking with Rex i think you can cross Vick off the list. He also turns the ball over far too often. Can't stay healthy either.

Personally I'd prefer Moore as a stop gap but I can see why Rex would want Smith. He's safe with the ball if nothing else.

6. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Maybe safe and boring isnt what we need.
    Granted we absolutely need to protect the football, but i like the upside of Moore. starting to warm up to that idea.
    Vick would be a total mistake.

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Whatever the Jets do they probably don't want to go get a vet as more than a stopgap. Trying to win a Super Bowl in the way the Ravens did in 2000 and the Bucs in 2002 just doesn't work any more. The rules have changed too much and the great QB's *always* get a call to help them out late unless they're matched up against another storybook QB.

8. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I was screaming about this the moment Sparano was hired, but if we stick with Rex that's clearly what he wants.

9. The_Fan

The_Fan New Member

This is the problem with the Jets. Instead of developing talent, they just want to bring some already washed up QB like the Favre scenario.

McElroy was a game manager at Alabama. Let him play, develop his talent, surround him with some WRs from draft, perhaps Robert Woods from USC or Keenan Allen from California. That would be a better for Jets the long term

10. Jerseyboyisback

Jerseyboyisback New Member

Vick would consider signing with Jets

Michael Vick still wants to start, might wait out for Chip Kelly

By Ian Rapoport
    Reporter, NFL.com and NFL Network
    Published: Dec. 19, 2012 at 03:13 a.m.
    Updated: Dec. 19, 2012 at 09:29 a.m.

Sources who have spoken to Michael Vick say the veteran quarterback believes he has another four years left in the NFL and wants to be a starter with whatever team signs him in the event he is released by the Philadelphia Eagles.

Those sources also said Vick would not want to join the New York Jets if Mark Sanchez still is the starter, but he would consider signing with the Jets if he were paid more than Sanchez, making it clear that Vick was the No. 1 quarterback on the depth chart.

Vick hasn't played since being sidelined with a concussion on Nov. 11, as the Eagles have been getting a look at rookie Nick Foles. Vick told reporters Monday that he wants to play, even though he understands the decisions the Eagles have to make as well.

"I'm a competitor, and I've always felt like and will continue to feel like I'm one of the best and can play at a high level ... I want to be out there," Vick said, according to the Philadelphia Daily News. "I want to play, but it's just not the ideal situation right now."

Vick's age (he'll be 33 next season), salary (he's due $15.5 million in 2013) and the Eagles' disappointing performance over the past two seasons all point to a likely new team for the former Atlanta Falcon.

Aside from the Jets, the Buffalo Bills, Arizona Cardinals and Cleveland Browns are mentioned as possibilities.

The sources close to Vick said he might wait to see if Oregon coach Chip Kelly decides to take an NFL coaching job in the offseason, adding that Vick already has imagined himself playing in Kelly's fast-paced spread offense.

Follow Ian Rapoport on Twitter @RapSheet.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...-wants-to-start-might-wait-out-for-chip-kelly

Thoughts????

11. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

can't do it, too much money.

12. RutgersJET

RutgersJET Member

This guy has an extremely poor attitude for QB, kind of like Sanchez. If any of you were following the Eagles QB situation over the past season, you would have seen Vick gave 2 shits that he was about to be benched.

13. JET'S_my_name

JET'S_my_name Banned

You know what guys? I too will consider signing with the Jets. But I need to be paid more than Sanchez and Vick just to make it clear that I am the true #1.

14. JET'S_my_name

JET'S_my_name Banned

Funny he says he's a competitor right after saying he doesn't want any competition for the starting job.

15. NYGalPal

NYGalPal Well-Known Member

I do not under any circumstance want that man on my team.

16. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Vick is too old and banged up. He's not the same player he used to be. Not a good idea. What about Chad Henne? He's been serviceable as of late and is familiar with Sparano. He threw 4 TDs against the Texans D, almost won it for a terrible team. What kind of contract does he have with the Jags?

17. BookEndTackles 72&79

Matt Flynn - Is a trade possible??

With Sanchez on the way out (hopefully) I'm sure there will be alot of Matt Flynn for all the obvious reasons. Could a straight up swap work out for both teams?? I'm not convinced but here is some speculation anyway. If anyone has other details to fill in to shed some light on the topic feel free.

First, the contract details.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/matt-flynn/

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/mark-sanchez/

http://www.nyjetscap.com/salary13.html

According to these numbers Flynn would count 7.25 MIL to be on Seattle's roster next year (salary plus bonus). It's doubtful they would cut him straight up as the cap savings would be 1.25MIL or even less due to accelerating his guaranteed bonus money so there is not much upside for Seattle there and they would be in the market for a quality backup QB. Sanchez would count for 12.85 MIL to stay with the Jets. His 8.25 MIL salary is guaranteed which would be slightly more than Flynn. The Jets would be responsible for picking up the remaining pro rated bonus of 4.6 MIL against their cap.

Assuming those figures are correct would Sanchez agree to a restructured deal to go to Seattle which would free up cash against the Seahawks cap in 2013? Currently, Sanchez has no guarantees beyond 2014. He would have to agree to move much or all of his 2013 guaranteed salary to future years as a bonus prorated over the life of his deal which runs through 2016 to give Seattle any significant cap savings in 2013 since trading Flynn immediately puts 4MIL on Seattle's cap. That would leave Seattle 3.25 MIL in freed up cap space when you compare it to keeping Flynn at a 7.25MIL hit. You can allocate a portion of that to Sanchez and use the rest in other ways. Maybe Seattle pushes that bonus money into 2014 or beyond and have a cheap backup. Flynn would have cost them 8.25MIL against the cap if they kept him for 2014. The benefit to Seattle would be that they get a much cheaper backup QB for at least one year and possibly more with this type of restructure.

The benefit to the Jets would be that Sanchez is gone and they would be paying about the same for Flynn as what Sanchez 12.85 MIL cap hit would be next year (5.25MIL Flynn salary + 4.1MIL accelerated bonus for Sanchez due + 4.1 MIL in future dead money which hits the cap right away to trade/cut Sanchez in 2013.) Flynn would cost 6.25 MIL in 2014 to the Jets since Seattle would have picked up his guaranteed bonus.

Anyway, I think it's an interesting topic to look at from a GM's perspective

18. 46Defense

46Defense New Member

I think Vick, like Sanchez will be star struck in NYC and be focussed more on that than winning football games.

Plus Vick has lot some of his blazing speed. He's just not as fast as he was when he was younger.

19. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

so a guy that got beaten out be a 3rd round rookie after signing a big deal after playing well against the Lions?

20. 46Defense

46Defense New Member

I wouldn't mind Flynn. He still has value. He was just beaten out by a gem of a qb in Russell Wilson.

However, Sanchez has zero value. Either Wilson or Flynn would be better than anything on the Jets. Sanchez could not beat either of them out and would basically be a waste of cap room for the Seahawks.